Author Topic: Question - Is the current dar setting working for the better?  (Read 1747 times)

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
Re: Question - Is the current dar setting working for the better?
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2019, 07:31:04 PM »
Overall, I'd say that the current "proximity dar" does promote combat.  It might be harder to bounce an unsuspecting enemy, but (to me) that isn't combat in a gaming sense.

The radar settings of today makes Aceshigh feel like an arcade game.... not the combat simulation I was promised years ago. We may have easier combat to find, but at what cost? We have no unknowns left in AH... no need of luck or skill anymore.

“As a fighter pilot I know from my own experiences how decisive surprise and luck can be for success, which in the long run comes only to the one who combines daring with cool thinking.”

— Adolf Galland
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2019, 07:51:59 PM »

The radar settings of today makes Aceshigh feel like an arcade game.... not the combat simulation I was promised years ago. We may have easier combat to find, but at what cost? We have no unknowns left in AH... no need of luck or skill anymore.

“As a fighter pilot I know from my own experiences how decisive surprise and luck can be for success, which in the long run comes only to the one who combines daring with cool thinking.”

— Adolf Galland

Imagine the shock and surprise you’ll find when, after getting your wish, you’re the last player in the game.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 11:24:27 PM »
I think the ONLY change I would like,as too current Radar...That Bombers and Fighters show up as "DOTS". That way you cant watch map to get direction of travel or Plane Type. Might even agree with a delayed Update on Radar returns.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2019, 02:41:14 AM »
In the current dar settings bombers show up as bombers and c47s show up on dar while on the ground? Haven't played for a bit so I'm trying to understand exactly the newest dar settings.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2019, 11:04:12 AM »
Hazmatt the way the dar works now is that anywhere on the map if a team mate is in a plane or a GV and is within a minimum distance of an enemy plane that enemy plane will show up on the clipboard map. The icons for planes are now fighter or bomber and are oriented in the direction of flight. I does not matter if the enemy plane is on the ground it will be shown regardless. What this means practically in the case of a c-47 is that they cannot hide on the ground parked below the 50' radar floor. Up a jeep at a V base and suddenly a bomber icon will appear suspiciously immobile and easily driven to. Likewise a torpedo run on the cv is even more futile as practically speaking if there are any planes in the air you cannot fly below the radar.

With low numbers I think this dar helps generate fights while at the same time not making it totally transparent where everybody is at all times.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 11:12:47 AM »
Hazmatt the way the dar works now is that anywhere on the map if a team mate is in a plane or a GV and is within a minimum distance of an enemy plane that enemy plane will show up on the clipboard map.

Doesn't even have to be a team mate. Unless the settings have changed from earlier this year, you now get a perfect tail warning radar, with little need to look out for someone sneaking up your six or trying to spot that low level goon coming in.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2019, 01:53:48 PM »
For "team mate" substitute "you or a team mate"
Pies not kicks.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2019, 08:18:12 PM »
Thanks for explaining.

It seems that something on the ground shouldn't show up to me. Not sure how it showing up helps the game play.