Author Topic: What book are you reading?  (Read 5772 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: What book are you reading?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2019, 07:09:46 AM »
Just finished "The Flame Bearer" by Bernard Cornwell. I was rather disappointed by this 10th chapter in his Saxon Tales. By now, the content has become quite boring and repetitive.

Now reading "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov. Quite impressive so far.   :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2019, 11:10:18 AM »
The Sacred Band were indeed 150 pairs of male lovers, but they were supposedly invincible as they had never lost. You are obviously trolling, but I will entertain the discussion. The world had a much different perception and outlook on homosexuality in the ancient era. Homosexuality in Greece and Rome was normal, laying exclusively with females was the odd habit. Claudius famously did not fancy males at all and was seen as an estranged Roman with asocial tendencies. Much of that stemmed from his infatuation with freedmen, but also with his lack of homosexual tendencies. The world was a different place. Even in Ancient times, the Oscar Wilde quote was true, "Everything is about sex except sex. Sex is about power." Having male lovers for lust was normal in Greece and Rome.

As long as they dont scare the horses i suppose its fine  :)

Claudius was a stuttering fool who Mrs had a competition with the local brothel who could tup the most men in a night, she won and then got her head chopped off.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 11:13:21 AM by zack1234 »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2019, 03:47:00 PM »
"The Greatest Air Battle:  Dieppe, 19th August 1942," by Franks.

Swareiam gave it to me as a gift!  Thanks, Swareiam!  :aok

It is awesome.  Superbly detailed, and about an air battle that I previously did not know much about.

Way back in college I wrote a paper about the Dieppe Air Battle and it's impact on how the Allies developed air to ground operations.  There was nothing like that over Dieppe and it cost the guys on the ground big time.  And RAF losses were big too.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 07:40:27 PM »
As long as they dont scare the horses i suppose its fine  :)

Claudius was a stuttering fool who Mrs had a competition with the local brothel who could tup the most men in a night, she won and then got her head chopped off.

Claudius was a bit slow and came off as unintelligent. He was also quite feeble, having a slight limp. This was extremely unsightly as an emperor of Rome. This caused him a poor reputation as he was seen as weak because of his weak appearance. He was also seen as a outcast because of his lack of homosexual tendencies as I aforementioned. Truthfully, Claudius was a very good emperor. He was strong willed and his civil works are rivaled by very few Roman emperors. He built the port at Ostia (man made harbor) and of course the two great aqueducts, Aqua Claudi and Aqua Anio Novus.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2019, 01:20:49 AM »
The Ostia was made from Caligulas left overs.

Homosexulets were invented in San Fransico
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2019, 12:12:44 PM »
Just finished The Gettysburg campaign by Charles River Editors (short book but great correspondence to read from the time of the battle).  It starts with Chancellorsville.

Now reading the definitive text of the battle of Gettysburg by Edwin Coddington.  Two Volumes.  Gettysburg, a Study in Command.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2019, 12:29:04 PM »
Just got done with “We march against England: Operation sea lion.”  By Robert Forczyk. Wow,  so much I have learn and will branch off the reference out of the book.   Highly recommend this book.

I got “The Third Reich is Listening: Inside German codebreaking 1939–45.”  ByChristian Jennings last week.  Will start that today.

Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2019, 12:50:10 PM »
Just finished The Gettysburg campaign by Charles River Editors (short book but great correspondence to read from the time of the battle).  It starts with Chancellorsville.

Now reading the definitive text of the battle of Gettysburg by Edwin Coddington.  Two Volumes.  Gettysburg, a Study in Command.

Coddington is still the best one-volume (guess they've now split it in two?) history of the campaign.  But the real masterpieces are Harry W. Pfanz's trilogy.

- oldman

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2019, 01:43:18 PM »
The God Effect
by Brian Clegg

Quantum entanglement will one day allow us to communicate over vast distances instantly with out any lag whatsoever. 

I have a large library in my garage with books about WWI and WWII........mostly about the development of the airplane for use in combat.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2019, 02:02:50 PM »

Coddington is still the best one-volume (guess they've now split it in two?) history of the campaign.  But the real masterpieces are Harry W. Pfanz's trilogy.

- oldman

Coddington is fantastic with the details.  And now it is a two volume set.  I'm looking forward to reading Shelby Footes' volumes on the Civil war.  Interesting to see how he saw the Civil War.  A great Author imho.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2019, 04:07:17 PM »
Coddington is fantastic with the details.  And now it is a two volume set.  I'm looking forward to reading Shelby Footes' volumes on the Civil war.  Interesting to see how he saw the Civil War.  A great Author imho.

No question that Foote was a great writer.  I didn't like the way he speculated on what people did (e.g. saying, as fact, that Slocum's 12th Corps delayed its approach to Gettysburg because Slocum was afraid he'd get beaten).

- oldman

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2019, 05:56:56 PM »

No question that Foote was a great writer.  I didn't like the way he speculated on what people did (e.g. saying, as fact, that Slocum's 12th Corps delayed its approach to Gettysburg because Slocum was afraid he'd get beaten).

- oldman

I agree.  Opinions are just that opinions.  Although in his case it was a very educated one.  I try to find fact whenever possible, not a show of hands.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2019, 07:08:07 PM »
I did found one published company I think most will like.  They have some excellent reading materials on any military history.

https://ospreypublishing.com/

I have over 1,200 PDF copies of all those books if anyone is interested.....pm me

« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 07:13:42 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2019, 01:47:34 AM »
Currently reading the first book in Rick Atkinson's The Liberation Trilogy.  It's called "An Army At Dawn:The War in North Africa 1942-1943".  It covers Operation Torch and then the battle for Tunisia.  So far I'm liking it.  :aok

One of the best, and detailed books i've read about the subject !

On my favorite list of recently read books :

Steel Inferno (1st SS panzer corps in Normandy).
Demolishing the Myth: The Tank Battle at Prokhorovka, Kursk, July 1943: An Operational Narrative.
Maverick (Helicopter gunship in Vietnam).
Defense of the Reich :The Luftwaffe over Germany.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2019, 12:54:58 PM »
Just finished "Hue 1968" by Mark Bowden.  Great read on the Tete Offensive there, and gets at perspective from the point of view of both sides, although mostly from the perspective of the US marines.....was a really tough battle for them.  Very compelling read!