Author Topic: End of support windows seven  (Read 901 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
End of support windows seven
« on: November 07, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »
Any recommendations on operating systems other than windows.  Is anybody
using Ubunta Mate and does it handle Aces High? Any suggestions? :airplane:
AkCaine

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: End of support windows seven
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 08:46:57 PM »
First of, you can continue to run Win7 for as long as you want, it just wont be updated any more. I ran Win98 for years after support shut down.

Second, there is nothing wrong with Win10 other than what is wrong with every other windows product.

If your done with with win7 then grab the free win10 download, install and continue on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 08:49:21 PM »
Windows 10 is fine.

You can also continue to run Windows 7 for as long as you like. 
It's merely a matter of how much of a virus magnet you want to be.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 09:08:11 PM »
Any recommendations on operating systems other than windows.  Is anybody
using Ubunta Mate and does it handle Aces High? Any suggestions? :airplane:
You can dual install Linux Mint  or ubuntu with windows7. I have run AH in ubuntu  using the WINE windows emulator, but it can be choppy.  If you dual install you can boot win-7 for AH and Mint for browsers.  With win7 security updates stopping, going to a browser in linux is a pretty safe bet. You can reboot and choose either operating system at startup.

The only time I ever boot win7 is for AH or WW2 online which have no linux version.
As porous as windows is to malware and hackers, not having security updates seems a bit unsafe if you do a lot of surfing.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 12:09:59 AM »
havent gotten win7 updates in years. they did try to force to go to win10.  but I saw no reason to do it.  maybe next year.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 05:36:55 AM »
If you want to get the free Windows 10 license for your current computer it's time to act now. There's no telling that it would be possible next year for Windows 7 any longer.

Simply go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, download the Tool and run it, it's pretty straightforward and not too many words to read if you just accept the EULA without reading it. There's several "doing a couple of things" and such, but in the end you'll get a notice where it says it's ready to install, saving all your files and programs, with a button saying "Install". Then you'll just wait for the blue screen go to 100%, see the computer reboot and start from 0% again on a slightly darker blue screen, then reboot a couple of times until you can log in. At first login there'll be some security settings to be done in a not too intuitive manner. Just click the sentence of your choice and click "Accept" - my preference is to choose no to all of the seven features.

If you're then happy with Win10, fine. You're done.

If you feel that you're not too happy with the current version and would like to revert back to Win7, you can do that for 10 days. During that time go to Settings->Update and Security->Recovery and choose to go back to Windows 7. Doing that will still keep your Windows 10 electronic license valid for a future install on that very machine!

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 07:31:15 AM »
I thought I read somewhere that MS was going to offer Win7 updates for an annual fee or was that a spoof?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 08:30:43 AM »
Btw if you still have your win 7 serial number you can use it to install a fresh copy of windows 10.

HiTech

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 09:48:59 AM »
Caine - No issues with Windows 10 - I was late to migrate to Win 10 as I too was on Win7 and was very hesitant to do the switch.

I have to say, it's much better and more stable than Win 7. No regrets :aok
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »
Also if you have never done windows version changes, is best to purchase a new hard drive and install from scratch. Then install you old hard drive beside the new one and
copy your old content.

HiTech

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 10:58:31 AM »
Also if you have never done windows version changes, is best to purchase a new hard drive and install from scratch. Then install you old hard drive beside the new one and
copy your old content.

HiTech

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 08:50:48 AM »
copy your old content.

HiTech

I can't afford a new hard drive right now, but I do have a large external drive. Could I just copy everything over to that before switching to the dreaded 10?
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »
I can't afford a new hard drive right now, but I do have a large external drive. Could I just copy everything over to that before switching to the dreaded 10?
The least expensive way is to upgrade over the existing Windows7. That will keep all your files, programs and settings as is and give you some time to get the money for a new hard drive. More importantly, that will change your existing Win7 license to a valid Win10 electronic license which will allow you to do a clean install on a brand new disk as long as there's no major changes in the rest of your computer.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 10:16:12 AM »
I recently changed to Windows 10 because of the end support for 7. I did what HT suggested, got a new SSD and installed Windows onto it from scratch, using my Windows 7 key to register.

One problem I encountered was not being able to move across an old copy of Photoshop Elements that I originally got with a graphics tablet years ago. So I'm using an old copy of Gimp to do the same job now. The other problem was that Canon don't make a Windows 10 driver for my old printer. I could get it to print with a Windows 8 driver, but not scan. So in the end I just bought a new printer. Moral is, check all your software can be moved or updated and that you can get hardware drivers.

Windows 10 works fine, it took a day or so to get used to things like right clicking on the start button to get into the nuts and bolts of the system. I don't like the standard image viewer and have replaced that with Irfanview. The biggest worry I have with Windows 10 is Microsoft completely borking my system one day with one of their mandatory-but-not-very-well-tested updates. However these can be delayed so its just a question of watching out for problems on the net after each one surfaces. Also when I installed Windows I left a bit of space on the SSD unallocated so I can install some version of Linux there as a backup OS. Not sure which one yet, need to do some research first.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 10:18:31 AM by Greebo »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 01:33:22 AM »
Y'all are aware that Microsoft has extended it's security updates for Windows 7 until 2023, the only caveats being is that you will have to pay for this service yearly, with the cost going up each year...

If you are like a small small few of us that have volume licencing for Windows 7 Ultimate or Enterprise versions, you get a substantial discount...doubt most have that option...

Just a FYI

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC