Author Topic: Son of a squeak, Second Class  (Read 363 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Son of a squeak, Second Class
« on: December 20, 2019, 04:22:33 PM »
Years ago I sold carpet to a crusty old guy who claimed to have dropped a bomb on a Japanese carrier while flying the SB2C. He was the one who told me about the nickname. As with all such stories, I have no idea if it was true. I want to believe it was. Two weeks ago I spent an hour with a survivor of the USS Arizona. I hope this SB2C memory is real. In any case, good write-up on it...

https://www.avgeekery.com/the-helldiver-haste-made-a-waste-of-this-world-war-ii-dive-bomber/

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Son of a squeak, Second Class
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 06:18:23 PM »
I've always been a fan of the SB2C.    :cheers:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 10:41:39 PM »
Good read..... thanks!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 07:58:01 AM »
Years ago I sold carpet to a crusty old guy who claimed to have dropped a bomb on a Japanese carrier while flying the SB2C. He was the one who told me about the nickname. As with all such stories, I have no idea if it was true. I want to believe it was. Two weeks ago I spent an hour with a survivor of the USS Arizona. I hope this SB2C memory is real. In any case, good write-up on it...

https://www.avgeekery.com/the-helldiver-haste-made-a-waste-of-this-world-war-ii-dive-bomber/

Boo

Think of it this way.
 How many old timers even know what an SB2C is? Even vets you see mistake one of the more popular planes for another such as say a P51 for a P47.
Most people know the SB2C not as the SB2C, but as the more popular name "Hell Diver"
Id say that the very fact he was so specific as to the official designation and type of plane increases the likelihood of it being a true story
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty