Author Topic: Ammunition  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Ammunition
« on: December 01, 2019, 04:15:45 PM »
I mentioned this on the "Future Of" thread, but why not, I'll make an official wish out of it:

A more robust ammunition system. This will come in three parts:

1) Stop averaging ammunition across the belt. Currently, (at least IIRC) the amount of damage caused by ammunition is averaged. So rather than having some rounds do more damage than other, it's all the same. While this is certainly simpler, to an extent it removes the advantage of certain types of rounds. However the real reason for this would be:

2) More ammunition mix varieties in the hangar. For example, the US .50cal is all treated as if it were ball rounds. There's no provision for other ammunition types like incendiary, AP, or API (armor-piercing incendiary). This could be done in one of two ways:
2a) Predefined Belts. Say, the default for US .50cal would be four rounds of ball and one tracer. But you could also have an option (perhaps with a small perk cost) for 4 API + 1 Tracer. Or AP - AP - AP - Incendiary - Tracer.
2b) Allow the player to define the mix directly by adding/removing ammunition on the belt using slots 1-5.

This could also be where Tracers could be turned on or off (as opposed to a check box in the flight preferences as it is now).

3) Tie ammunition into the Start system. Knocking out the Ammo bunkers at a field would restrict aircraft to using the default belt.

This could also feed into a more advanced damage system, adding components like fuel and oil lines, control wires, etc. that can be damaged inside the target.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: Ammunition
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 09:13:14 PM »
I like it! Good ideas.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
I don't like it...…… I LOVE IT!

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 10:29:51 PM »
Very IL2ish.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 10:40:58 PM »
Very IL2ish.

It's also how ammunition mixes actually worked during the war. Belt loads varied as new ammunition became available or depending on the mission.

It'd also be cool if tracer colors were correct by country/weapon type.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline lunaticfringe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 03:22:27 PM »
I mentioned this on the "Future Of" thread, but why not, I'll make an official wish out of it:

A more robust ammunition system. This will come in three parts:

1) Stop averaging ammunition across the belt. Currently, (at least IIRC) the amount of damage caused by ammunition is averaged. So rather than having some rounds do more damage than other, it's all the same. While this is certainly simpler, to an extent it removes the advantage of certain types of rounds. However the real reason for this would be:

2) More ammunition mix varieties in the hangar. For example, the US .50cal is all treated as if it were ball rounds. There's no provision for other ammunition types like incendiary, AP, or API (armor-piercing incendiary). This could be done in one of two ways:
2a) Predefined Belts. Say, the default for US .50cal would be four rounds of ball and one tracer. But you could also have an option (perhaps with a small perk cost) for 4 API + 1 Tracer. Or AP - AP - AP - Incendiary - Tracer.
2b) Allow the player to define the mix directly by adding/removing ammunition on the belt using slots 1-5.

3) Tie ammunition into the Start system. Knocking out the Ammo bunkers at a field would restrict aircraft to using the default belt.

This could also feed into a more advanced damage system, adding components like fuel and oil lines, control wires, etc. that can be damaged inside the target.
This could also be where Tracers could be turned on or off (as opposed to a check box in the flight preferences as it is now).

in real life could not turn tracers on and off.
To Be Prepared for War Is The Most Effectual Means Of Preserving Peace (George Washington)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 05:16:42 PM »

in real life could not turn tracers on and off.

In real life they just didn't put tracers in ammo belt, same as turning then on and off before flight.

seml
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 11:46:00 PM »

It'd also be cool if tracer colors were correct by country/weapon type.

That is even more IL2ish. Tracer color was one good way to tell if you were getting friendly fire in that game. Hurricanes can look a lot like 109s if you are anxious. I once blasted a 110 thinking it was a Blenheim....you would think the twin tail would be a tip off, I guess we see what we want to see.
Pies not kicks.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 11:27:17 AM »
I have been asking for different tracer colors off and on for years. AH III added more types of clouds and a lot more ground scenery, why not different tracer colors. I believe it would add to the game.

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 01:45:42 PM »
I suggest tracer color based on game country (knights, bishops, rooks) rather than country of the aircraft modeled as a more logical method, for ease of game tracking (only have to have 3 colors and easily able to track it), and simulated logistics.  To be fair, however, it makes no less sense to deploy several different types of tracers, which are the same as the several types of tracers that your opponent uses, than it does to have several dozen aircraft fighter types mixed at an airfield, while your opponent simultaneously deploys those same several dozen types, also spread out randomly...

Mike