Author Topic: Potential F4u-1a fule management bug?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
Re: Potential F4u-1a fule management bug?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2019, 10:24:23 PM »
Generally, I run the left wing tank dry, then switch to auto.  Then the right wing tank is my reserve.  The right wing tank and main tank will then switch back and forth as fuel is consumed.  From my recollection, it's always been that way in the -1 and -1A.

The reasoning which I now realize I've accepted at face value without testing is that the added weight in the right wing tank helps offset the tendency of the left wing to stall due to torque.  Or something. 

I kinda feel foolish now for what I am about to post.  And find it hilarious.  And will post anyway because he said "fule".

FWIW I can actually spell better than I can type.....   Yes, the rationale you posted Gooss is similar to what I encountered on the boards some years back, and I think helped lead me to believe the auto fuel select drained the wing tanks first, but I like your rationale.   :cheers:

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 10:29:43 PM »
Daddyace if the fuel is highlighted in yellow and it runs out the engine will quit..you will have to switch and make sure its highlighted in white to stay auto.

Yes, I know that Rude, but do appreciate the tip.  My problem is forgetting to keep an eye on the tank, and then having the engine starve in a fight and losing valuable e, while I switch and and the engine fires back up.  And I'm sure you know well enough from our engagements that I'm not that good of a pilot that I can't afford to unexpectedly lose e.   :cheers:

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 04:52:41 AM »
If you want to work on F4u merges training is available.  :aok

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 10:46:13 AM »
If you want to work on F4u merges training is available.  :aok

....well this is an invite that I'll have to accept, thank you FLS!  I'll PM you about schedules....    :aok   :airplane: