Author Topic: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?  (Read 62804 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2019, 12:45:32 PM »

You must not play a lot of games.

Many games that are subscription, have F2P levels where you can play as long as your want for free, maybe not with the best stuff. (Hmmm where have we heard that suggestion.)  Because subscriptions are a very hard sell, you have to lure them in carefully.

Other games like the battlefield series, you buy the base game and get to play on the servers for free.  There will be DLC you can buy, but are not required.  You may pay $60, but that is psychologically different than letting a company get their subscription hooks into forever.

I bought Battlefield 4 for $60 in 2014.  I never bought the DLC, but eventually those get release free, you just don't get them first.  To this day, the servers are still full and I've played all this time on the initial investment.  That company rakes in billions, so somehow they make it work.

You may not like those models, but that is the competitive landscape HTC is facing.  Those are the games setting the expectations of players that come to try AH.
I don't have time.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2019, 12:46:52 PM »
You make one ride free that's reasonably competitive.   Spit V or Spit IX.

Now this is an idea I can support. Give me a free spit 9 and I'll fly that all day long, give me perks too and I'll be flying 262 or tempest every week.

What about a free bomber?  Boston's?  I'll be flying b29s in a few hours.

Say bye bye to my subscription and welcome a new player.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2019, 12:47:04 PM »
I don't have time.

So your opinions on the current competitive landscape are not particularly informed.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2019, 12:48:45 PM »

In BF they typically start you out with a decent gun.  Not the best, but decent.  You grind and rank up and unlock better weapons over time.  Does it suck to turn the corner and have your face melted off by an enemy gun whose rate of fire you don't come close to?  Yes.  It makes you really want to rank up to level 10 so you can go get one.

And in that same situation if you waltzed around a corner into his sights, would your level 10 gun have made any difference?  99 out of 100, I would expect not.  And in most of those games TTK is short enough your starter weapon will work well enough if you get the drop on the guy.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2019, 12:49:25 PM »
Now this is an idea I can support. Give me a free spit 9 and I'll fly that all day long, give me perks too and I'll be flying 262 or tempest every week.

semp

Yeah.  It's amazing how War Thunder makes so much money.  Maybe you should go tell them how it can never work.   :rofl :rofl :rofl

:rolleyes:
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2019, 12:51:03 PM »
I had a thought regarding free to play etc. The versions of it I have seen are predicated on fairly gamey things like "crew experience" or some kind of magical minutia about engines and bullets. That is all very well for people who like that kind of thing, to me it always seems completely fake and just distances the player from the simulated experience of flying which is this games strength. Perhaps there are incremental upgrades that would not be of the usual f2p nature but would be about the experience. For example maybe the F2p player would just get spat out into the air randomly in some random airplane above some random base playing for a random side with 10 minutes of fuel and no bombs. Sell bombs fuel and bullets and control over where you take off etc. but don't make there be too many choices before it is just 15 dollars all you can eat. Maybe have rewards for the perks that can turn into bullets bombs or fuel. I don't know, you would have to test it, you would also have to explain it well. As it is it is pretty all or nothing and maybe too many false choices, (too many f2p arenas that are very underutilized and don't seem to be a draw for new players.) I still think that this would be a good game for E-Sports but at the moment it is too hard for people to "get." I think air racing might be worth exploring, it has the basic arcade simplicity that kept people putting quarters in and might lend itself to scheduled races. Maybe you could win points to by bullets with? Just spitballing.

Regardless this is clearly difficult and might need real market research/psychological expertise of the food pellet/electric shock type. Which kind of sucks.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »
So here is what I think the problem is.  You can not understand what has happened to HTC just by looking at changes to AH over time. 

That is assuming that HTC did something wrong to "break" Aces High.   I don't think that is necessarily the case.  I think it is more a matter of how the competitive landscape AH is embedded in has changed drastically and their models have not kept pace or found a successful counter model.

Charting the decline in AH population against game changes internal to AH may not be illuminating.  You may need to look externally not internally.  Chart the decline in Aces High population against:

WWIIOnline
Release of BF:1942
Release of BF2
Release of BF3
Release of BF4
Release of BF1
Release of BF5
War Thunder
Wold of Tanks
World of Warships
PUBG
Console gaming
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Which is why I don't think what Ciaphas and other were suggesting of rolling the clock back, will work.  You can not roll the clock back on the whole world including your competitors. 

What worked great in 1999, or 1888 will not necessarily work now. 

:salute

Not talking about rolling the clock back. There comes a point when changes are no longer productive.  It's more than worth it to revisit the reasons for change and the outcome of those changes over a period of time. Are the changes still relevant, are they still having a "value added" affect, do these changes still fit within the scope of the current state of gamers?

Sometimes revisiting these items and answering those questions lead to solutions that may never have been discovered if those changes were never challenged with a fresh perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2019, 01:02:24 PM »
And in that same situation if you waltzed around a corner into his sights, would your level 10 gun have made any difference?  99 out of 100, I would expect not.  And in most of those games TTK is short enough your starter weapon will work well enough if you get the drop on the guy.

Wiley.

Oh absolutely it makes a difference!  If we are talking CQB.

Assuming he is not genetically superior to me with faster reflexes, all other things being equal,  I will almost always win with higher rate of fire.  I'll get that last round in his head that drops him, before he can get that last round in on me.  I'll take damage, but generally win the encounter by one or two bullets.

Those guns are offset with harder to manage recoil, but by the time you've ranked to level 10 that is no problem for you.  In CQB I'll take rate of fire over dmg per round any day. 

YMMV

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 01:04:27 PM by CptTrips »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: December 18, 2019, 01:06:54 PM »

Yeah.  It's amazing how War Thunder makes so much money.  Maybe you should go tell them how it can never work.   :rofl :rofl :rofl

So they make money, so it's not free to play.  Somebody gotta pay.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: December 18, 2019, 01:08:18 PM »

semp

LoL  Genius.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #145 on: December 18, 2019, 01:08:24 PM »

semp

It's free to play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #146 on: December 18, 2019, 01:15:11 PM »

semp

Nope.  That's not how it would work. 

But if freeloaders generate critical mass it will benefit the game.

So you tool around in your Spit V and I'll wreck you in my "premium" ride.  You play for free.   I pay to turn you into spare parts.   We both win.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: December 18, 2019, 01:16:17 PM »

Heh.   :aok :cheers:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »
I don't think the Battlefield games lure players away from Aces High. They are two different genres. War Thunder, WW2OL on the other hand...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: December 18, 2019, 01:28:02 PM »

Oh absolutely it makes a difference!  If we are talking CQB.

Assuming he is not genetically superior to me with faster reflexes, all other things being equal,  I will almost always win with higher rate of fire.  I'll get that last round in his head that drops him, before he can get that last round in on me.  I'll take damage, but generally win the encounter by one or two bullets.

Those guns are offset with harder to manage recoil, but by the time you've ranked to level 10 that is no problem for you.  In CQB I'll take rate of fire over dmg per round any day. 

YMMV

What you were describing sounded more to me like you walked around a corner the guy was actively covering.  Lag helps you a bit there, but you still have to acquire him where all he has to do is pull a trigger.

Yeah, if the two of you notice each other at the same time, better equipment is better equipment.  But you can only get a +10% speed increase in BF, which allows you to affect more of the arena over time than you would otherwise but has very little to do with winning a fight.  I just think the performance differences across most planes in AH give you a ton more advantage than a better gun or a bit more armor.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11