Author Topic: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?  (Read 62385 times)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?
« Reply #585 on: January 28, 2020, 06:32:07 PM »
Ok so what you're saying is the throttle isn't being seen by windows then?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?
« Reply #586 on: January 28, 2020, 08:02:55 PM »
Does the device show in your device manager?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #587 on: February 03, 2020, 07:53:41 AM »
Thanks all.  I've never used Control Manager to play AH.  As I said I'm using windows 8.1.  I've always setup my controllers using the AH app in game.

Hey Wayne, I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro and all CH products hotas (fighterstick, pro throttle, 25+ yr old gameport regular CH rudder pedals non-pro type using gameport to USB adapter)

Hit me up pm or call me if you still have my mobile, I'll help you out.... I don't use CH manager software either

~S~

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #588 on: February 03, 2020, 11:23:46 AM »
Found the problem.  Thanks all.  The real problem I had was my CH Pedals were spiking.  They're a few years old.  I had to disassemble them and clean them.  I removed all my Controllers safely then shut down.  I plugged them all back in before booting the machine.  Reprogrammed an everything is fine.  I also rotated my Pedals USB connection to another Port in the powered US Hub.

Now, this is not a criticism.  It's something to think about. I had in the 80s' an 8088 PC that required a 31/2 disc of DOS 2.1 to boot.  At that time I got into the autoexec.Bat file to modify and remark to free more memory so that I could play a game (Their Finest Hour etc.)  In other words I made my own Boot Discs for the games I played.  I believe I had 256K of memory then.  I later added another 256K to make it 512K.  The memory cards back then were almost as large as a modern Video Card.  Anyway to shorten this, I'm thinking someone new who wishes to program his controllers can have a myriad of problems configuring buttons and axis while trying to simply set up his controls.  HT has an easy way but a somewhat time consuming process to set up ones Hotas.  A new player probably with little patience, and knowledge of the hardware, after 20 minutes just may say to hell with this.  He/She may just not know one of their controllers has a problem and has no clue on how to rectify the situation.  A long time friend, Lazer and I discussed this on line a few nights ago after I got up and running.  Lazer, since I've known him has always used a mouse and he's the best mouse Pilot I've seen in AH.

In closing I know it is going to be time consuming to program all my buttons and axis on my CH Hotas.  A new player unless they read carefully and have knowledge of their hardware just may get discouraged easily.  And also they may be using his/hers Hotas in another game and not know that they may have a hardware problem on one of their controllers.  I recognized the spiking by observing the input numbers being not steady and moving up and down rapidly. Something they wouldn't know just by looking.  I have no idea what can be done to help the new player having problems setting up his controllers.  In reality it can and may be a pain in the arse.  I know I just went through this.  I have no idea how we could make it easier and less time consuming to set up controllers.

Just a thought not a criticism.  Wish I had a magic wand.  I'm wondering if this could be a problem that discourages new players from joining.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #589 on: February 03, 2020, 02:57:54 PM »
Sometimes just putting them in the washing machine works..... or not.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #590 on: February 03, 2020, 07:58:40 PM »
I had in the 80s' an 8088 PC that required a 31/2 disc of DOS 2.1 to boot.  At that time I got into the autoexec.Bat file to modify and remark to free more memory so that I could play a game (Their Finest Hour etc.)  In other words I made my own Boot Discs for the games I played.  I believe I had 256K of memory then.  I later added another 256K to make it 512K.  The memory cards back then were almost as large as a modern Video Card. 

Curse you, Red Baron.  You are making me feel old.  Very old.  Even older than I usually feel.

Glad your controls work.  Hope to see you flying.

- oldamn

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #591 on: February 03, 2020, 08:07:27 PM »

Curse you, Red Baron.  You are making me feel old.  Very old.  Even older than I usually feel.

Glad your controls work.  Hope to see you flying.

- oldamn

Thanks oldman.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #592 on: February 03, 2020, 08:12:24 PM »
But did you have 16 color EGA?   :D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #593 on: February 03, 2020, 08:29:53 PM »
A shipmate and I used to play 'Mig Alley Ace' on his Commodore back in the day:

He never could figure out how I knew he was on my tail when I went in to 'crazy evasion' mode. ;)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #594 on: February 03, 2020, 11:33:24 PM »
I remember signing in at my computer store, listing parts I needed, sitting in the waiting room for my name to be called. Go in, get my parts, and pay.

Oh wow DOS gets new clothes... windows 3.0 and then 3.1. What? Who is Johnny Castaway?
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #595 on: February 04, 2020, 06:38:29 AM »
This was the straw if anyone is interested, starting a personal attack.
While this is just a very minor infraction it is one that should not happen from someone who has been warned.

HiTech

You don’t owe us an explanation. That clown has been doing dirty stuff on these boards for a while now. Like for example calling people names getting a response and then editing his original post. Lame stuff.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Palace Cobra

• Copper Member
« Reply #596 on: February 04, 2020, 09:06:27 AM »
You don’t owe us an explanation. That clown has been doing dirty stuff on these boards for a while now. Like for example calling people names getting a response and then editing his original post. Lame stuff.

I never saw him do that but your pattern shows you stalked the guy all over the boards. LET IT GO. 

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #597 on: February 04, 2020, 09:15:08 AM »
I never saw him do that but your pattern shows you stalked the guy all over the boards. LET IT GO.
Hmm.  So you Just joined the BBS and your first post is to defend Vraciu... (Who could this be?)  :rofl

Coogan
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 09:18:20 AM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Palace Cobra

• Copper Member
« Reply #598 on: February 04, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »
Hmm.  So you Just joined the BBS and your first post is to defend Vraciu... (Who could this be?)  :rofl

Coogan

I’m not defending him, I’m calling ACE out.  Big difference. 

You guys wonder why this game is dying?  Add your post to the list of reasons. It’s always an attack on anyone who doesn’t toe the party line. Toxic. 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #599 on: February 04, 2020, 09:29:23 AM »
The Streisand effect writ small.

Let it go is good advice if you can manage it.