Author Topic: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?  (Read 62897 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?
« Reply #390 on: December 25, 2019, 09:22:46 PM »
Try for a moment to forget everything you know about AH. Then imagine that you have played 100+ other games, half of them online, a dozen of them mmos. You got broadband, a 1 GB dowload takes less than a minute.

Now you are a typical new player.

Think how you would learn about the game. Probably by dumb luck, because there's practically no reviews on news sites nor any let's play videos. So most of the information you are going to consume is from the steam page. Or possibly the HTC website.
How much time do you spend on doing any reading before hitting the dowload-now-for-free button? Consider the time you spend reading vs the time it would take to try with just 1GB to dowload.

Now after reading the website for 2 minutes (and continuing to read  for another minute while the download is running) you log in to the game. First impression, text look blurred (pixelated fonts on the mapped texture of the clipboard). Offline... training... online... let's go online and check the game. Arenas... 100 there, others empty, ok, that one. Oh, not really free, it wants money regularly. Well, let's try while it's free.

Ugly video, go away, ah, thete's a checkbox to get rid of them.

Now how to get a plane... weird interface. Let's ask someone... no chat bar. Enter doesn't do anything. I'm not too stupid I can open the chat bar in every other game.

Oh well, blurred text, wants money, cannot fly. Not worth spending any further effort because it's probably not good enough for 15$/month anyway. Website looked ancient, let's try something else.

This just got ignored by everyone...   Quite unfortunate.   
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Litjan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #391 on: December 26, 2019, 12:41:05 AM »

You are right, it is - in my opinion - probably the best analysis of why we don´t even get people into the game to TRY it - let alone stick long enough to see it´s potential.

The GUI is a big thing. X-Plane did not see success with a larger number of players until they revamped the GUI with X-Plane 11. The core simulator didn´t change that much, but just having a modern, industry standard and decent looking GUI made a huge change!

Aces High´s initial experience is so 90´s. That was a time when players went through a lot of trouble to get to play a game. Not anymore. Modern players are used to a smooth and hassle-free experience, with big, glowing, pulsating buttons showing them what to hit next to continue. Every successful online game has a foolproof interactive tutorial and tries to make a perfect first impression.

Yes, the Aces High GUI can do everything it needs to do - but we are blind to how it looks to a modern player because we have stared at it for 20+ years.

This is not the only reason that Aces High is slowly dwindling into extinction. So the real question is: How much effort does HT want to pour into different lacking aspects of the game to make it viable?

The problem is not lack of advertising. It is not lack of aircraft models to fly. It is not lack of interest in flight simulation (see War Thunder?). It is not players not liking complex games. It is simply an outdated visual experience (both GUI and in-game) and a horrible gameplay experience as a new player (long, dull flights to get to the action, impossibly hard adversaries).

The changes necessary would be expensive and probably also not sit well with us old **rts that just like the game the way it was when we started playing it in the 90s as young whippersnappers.

Jan

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #392 on: December 26, 2019, 09:07:39 AM »
Agreed.   And I know how tough it can be to ditch something you're used to.   When I was working on my skins I learned a better way to do metal, but it was almost impossible for me to revise planes I had already done.  The metal on the old stuff was what my eye was used to so that the new, while being far better, didn't look right.   I had to force myself to go with it.

I know Hitech likes the clipboard and it's an impressive display of coding, but I didn't particularly care for it that much when I first came over here, especially how it limits the map size to far less than full screen.    Modern gamers especially are going to like it even less because it somewhat hinders what they want/need to do.  If it is going to stay it needs to not be limited by the dimensions of the screen.   I don't have the exact right answer I just sense it needs a tweak.  The control tower button theme might be a good start to follow on your idea.

:headscratch:  I don't have all the solutions, but something needs to be adjusted for new blood to stay.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:34:11 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #393 on: December 26, 2019, 10:24:30 AM »
If the GUI is an issue would you expect WO:P to see more new players than AH3?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #394 on: December 26, 2019, 10:40:10 AM »

I'm not sure how many people even know about WOP.

I haven't even been in it and I've been here for years.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #395 on: December 26, 2019, 10:54:13 AM »

It has to be better, not merely different.

Hitech writes excellent system and simulation code.  That doesn't mean he is an expert at designing elegant, beautiful user interfaces.  No one can be an expert at everything. 

There are user interface design improvements that could be made to both games, IMHO.  I don't know if it is the top-most priority, but it gets mentioned a lot in reviews I've seen.  It is functional, but certainly could be improved and made more visually appealing/slick.  But, that doesn't mean Hitech has the resources to deal with that right now.  It is always a game of resource allocation.

And yes, this kind of stuff does have a big impact on user's first impressions.  The UI is a game's initial "curb appeal".  It can set the tone of their impression way before they even get wheels up.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:13:19 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #396 on: December 26, 2019, 11:42:33 AM »

Not ignored, it just highlights another aspect that should be taken in to consideration for an upgrade. I relate the game's GUI to the HitechCreation website, it was great in 2001 but not so much in 2019. It used to be that familiar design that was the beginning of some really great sorties. Now it's more like that senile uncle at the family Christmas party and the game is the smoke break you take in the back yard to get away from him.

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #397 on: December 26, 2019, 12:16:36 PM »
Not ignored, it just highlights another aspect that should be taken in to consideration for an upgrade. I relate the game's GUI to the HitechCreation website, it was great in 2001 but not so much in 2019. It used to be that familiar design that was the beginning of some really great sorties. Now it's more like that senile uncle at the family Christmas party and the game is the smoke break you take in the back yard to get away from him.

People ignored what you said and just kept talking.  That was my point.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #398 on: December 26, 2019, 12:39:46 PM »
The GUI and website were both updated for AH3 so it's hardly 20 years old.  But don't let facts ruin a good rant.  :D

People ignored what you said and just kept talking.  That was my point.

He didn't say it and I responded to it.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #399 on: December 26, 2019, 12:59:08 PM »
The GUI and website were both updated for AH3 so it's hardly 20 years old.  But don't let facts ruin a good rant.  :D

My memory says AH2 clipboard looked better.

Edit: map zoom in 3 works better though.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 01:00:42 PM by ccvi »

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #400 on: December 26, 2019, 02:03:05 PM »

Just some color changes and the implementation of CMS via SMF. Doesn't do a bit of good if it isn't used or updated regularly.

The 2000's version was more functional and had a better center info box and a pretty sweet graphic.

Homepage yr: 2000

BBS yr: 2000

Homepage yr: 2005

Homepage yr: 2009

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #401 on: December 26, 2019, 02:11:39 PM »

Changing the metal clamp on top of the clipboard is hardly an overhaul. 

It is still the same basic thing it's been since I joined--or for as long as I can remember any way. 

You lost me.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 02:15:52 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #402 on: December 26, 2019, 02:14:50 PM »
Not sure how this post got here... .

All I did was edit my last one...

The homepage from 2000 made me want to fly and fight

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #403 on: December 26, 2019, 02:19:03 PM »
The games I have seen allow you to buy yourself better. I stand by my post. That means you are wrong. While neither way covers everyone, I believe my reasoning covers most.

But at a cost... mainly $ that increase with the level
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #404 on: December 26, 2019, 03:01:15 PM »
But at a cost... mainly $ that increase with the level

Yes the free is not really free.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)