Author Topic: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?  (Read 62876 times)

Offline snugar109

• Zinc Member
Re: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?
« Reply #435 on: December 27, 2019, 04:34:22 PM »
Perhaps if you spent more time flying and less time trying to run someone else's company.....  the game would be better.

:aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #436 on: December 27, 2019, 04:39:49 PM »
You just mean the other group think that disagrees, not the group think that agrees.    :devil

The Fresh Eye Concept.

Look into it.

In the meantime, continuing to do things that are not working can lead to success--what's old is new again, just look at fashion--but it isn't likely.

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #437 on: December 27, 2019, 05:32:28 PM »
The Fresh Eye Concept.

Look into it.

In the meantime, continuing to do things that are not working can lead to success--what's old is new again, just look at fashion--but it isn't likely.

I prefer the concepts of actual knowledge and rational thinking but to each their own.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #438 on: December 27, 2019, 06:25:06 PM »
I prefer the concepts of actual knowledge and rational thinking but to each their own.

Actual Knowledge = Numbers are Declining.   Players are not staying.  Other games are wildly successful even if they aren't as good.

Rational Thinking = If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.   The current method is perhaps sub-optimal.   Try something different.   

In my world it should never go like this:

"Captain, you're below glideslope."

"Yeah, I know.  I was doing just fine before.   Continuing."

:bhead :airplane:

Glideslope!  Terrain!  Terrain!  Pull up!

But this is in effect what many of you are counseling Hitech to do (to his detriment in my opinion).   The time for half measures is when things are going well.  When things are not going so well then bold moves are often the most prudent.   Get back on the glideslope.  Get out of the terrain.    Do what you gotta' do.   If you don't the jet is going to crash.    If you crash any way at least you tried rather than continuing down the valley with the EGPWS yelling in your ear.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 07:03:41 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #439 on: December 27, 2019, 07:29:28 PM »
Wow we didn't know hi-tech let us counsel him, we are consigleries. We hold so much power, he can't make a move till we approve it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #440 on: December 27, 2019, 08:10:25 PM »
Hey guys, been a long time.  I cancelled my sub quite a while ago simply because I didn't play anymore.  I had been hanging around for scenarios for a while before that but (no offense to Brook) when ROC quite running the scenarios and the set-ups became a forum free-for-all I gave up on those too.

I agree that there has to be a free to play aspect to this game to get people into it.  I've argued in the past that the old H2H arenas should make a return.  I realize someone hacked the game but why didn't HT just ban the offenders instead of closing the whole H2H arenas down and losing more people?  I also know HT has said the H2H players weren't converting to subscribers but did he ever offer them a limited time discount to try the MA's?  Maybe $5-10/mo for 3-6 mo. or something?  Baby steps are better than nothing.  Maybe a limited plane set in the MA could work but it might frustrate new players even more.

I also look back at all the things in the game that have been lost.  As much as many didn't like it some people loved the stealth game... NOE, undetectable ground missions, bomber radar avoidance, etc.  Gone, and so are the players.  Easy targets... you used to be able to take out a V-base in a single bomber pass, proliferation of auto-ack, ability to destroy radar easily, etc, etc.  And where are those players?  Gone.  Squads, missions, hordes... no longer enough people to sustain.  How about sitting INSIDE of a GV?  Or having a separate driver and gunner?  Can you even gun for a bomber pilot anymore (I'm really not sure)?  In many ways I think HT should take some of these settings back 20 years and add the fun back into the game for the less skilled.  Many on the BBS denigrate arcade but there should be arcade type elements incorporated into the game to attract those players.  On the other hand the settings should be as close to realistic as possible (radar, number of ack, city/town design, etc.) without artificial restraints imposed.

And then there's the community.  I have a lot of old acquaintances here but when a trainer used my dueling ladder stats to tell me I wasn't qualified to help a new player that was the beginning of the end.  And finally the straw that ultimately broke the camels back was when the new graphics were launched.  I tried to drag my old settings (controls, head positions, etc.) into the new game but none of them worked and I didn't want to have to start over. 

Look, there's four major phases every business goes through; start-up, growth, maturity and decline.  Phase three typically requires new investment if phase four is to be avoided.  HT attempted this with the new graphics/version but it was already too late.  At this point he's likely better off to reduce expenses and milk what's left for as long as possible so I don't expect there will be a lot of new toys or marketing but, a return to some of the old game elements would be an inexpensive way to try to lure back some of those lost over the years.

Later

BE

Well stated! Good to see you...things good?  -S-

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #441 on: December 27, 2019, 08:15:52 PM »

But this is in effect what many of you are counseling Hitech to do (to his detriment in my opinion). 

Show one example.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #442 on: December 27, 2019, 08:28:11 PM »
Show one example.

He'll post all his ideas that he thinks are good but doesn't step outside and think about why they wouldn't work or make the game worst.
He doesn't see that for example last fso we had over a hundred players making it close or maybe over 200 that day.  If we aren't sure why some players only do fso and scenarios, how can we bring me players and make them stay? 

semp

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #443 on: December 27, 2019, 08:28:15 PM »
Show one example.

This thread, among others, is littered with them.   If you prefer, take a look at your own post history.  That should provide plenty.

”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #444 on: December 27, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »
He'll post all his ideas that he thinks are good but doesn't step outside and think about why they wouldn't work or make the game worst.

And how do you know they won't work?   Have they been tried in the last decade?   Nope.   So we continue...   One group seeing how things are (and lobbying for some changes), the other seeing how they wish they were (and pretending everything is hunky-dory).

He doesn't see...

Who are you to say what I see or don't see?  How would you even know?

...[T]hat for example last fso we had over a hundred players making it close or maybe over 200 that day.  If we aren't sure why some players only do fso and scenarios, how can we bring me players and make them stay? 

semp

What does FSO have to do with it?   About the only thing you can parallel in FSO is the trend.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:34:56 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #445 on: December 27, 2019, 08:31:04 PM »
This thread, among others, is littered with them.   If you prefer, take a look at your own post history.  That should provide plenty.

So nothing? OK then.   :D

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #446 on: December 27, 2019, 08:31:58 PM »
So nothing? OK then.   :D

If you believe that there's nothing any of us can do to help you.

At this point you are just trolling in an attempt to get me booted off the forums.   I'm not falling for it.    Back to the ignore list.

*PLONK*
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:35:24 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #447 on: December 27, 2019, 08:40:48 PM »
Fso has paying customers. They had almost the same amount of players that the ma has on a regular day.

semp

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #448 on: December 27, 2019, 08:59:33 PM »
Fso has paying customers. They had almost the same amount of players that the ma has on a regular day.

semp

What is it about FSO that attracts so many?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #449 on: December 27, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »

What is it about FSO that attracts so many?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is about the ma that some people prefer fso and scenarios over it?

Players fly in fso for 30 minutes then get killed in 30 seconds, why won't they fly in ma where you fly for 10 minutes and die in 30 seconds?

semp