Author Topic: Discord server.  (Read 5349 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Discord server.
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2019, 05:35:08 PM »
Yes, that's why I don't see any 'official' one coming.

Unless that is one of the channels the Social Media Team takes responsibility for.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2019, 05:55:19 PM »
Unless that is one of the channels the Social Media Team takes responsibility for.

I remember our social media person. I don't know the details but I don't think that helped.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2019, 06:06:53 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is that nobody knows why so many people DL the game but don't stay,

That one is easy. The game doesn't provide what they (those who dowload it) expect. There is so many of them because there's so many people online today, and a 1 GB dowload is small enough to try and delete again after 5 minutes, to try the next game.

The assumption that someone who found the game and went through the big chalenge of waiting through a 12h download would actually subscribe may have been true 20 years ago when not many alternatives existed, and people made sure they were more well-informed before going though a massive download.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »
I remember our social media person. I don't know the details but I don't think that helped.

No, it had been suggested earlier that a team of players take over various official HTC Social Media channels and produce regular, timely content like Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, front web page, Discord, etc, etc (with HTC review).   

Just like you have a Scenario Team, you could have a Social Media Team so that this place just doesn't end up looking like a dust covered, dead museum. 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2019, 06:13:40 PM »
Your assumptions are that AH3 will die unless 'we' fix it and HTC is out of touch with their customers.

Given the general quality of ideas presented and the fact that Hitech reads the forum, plays in the game, and talks to players on the phone and in emails makes me think your assumptions are not supported.

One thing to keep in mind is that nobody knows why so many people DL the game but don't stay, nobody knows why the population is smaller, and nobody knows what to do about it.

People have ideas but anyone pretending to know is kidding themselves.

If you have an idea post it, it may be a good idea. A lot of good ideas have added to the game.

It's a little early for a eulogy. AH2 numbers declined along with the economy.  The economy is better now.

Hitech is always working to improve the game. Turn down the drama and have fun playing with your friends.

I never said such a thing. I clearly stated that it would not fix anything but that it was worthy endavour. One that might be arranged as one greater then just the game as to provide a social base for connections between players/people to persist in the future. I never stated that HTC was out of touch or unable to function specifically but HT isn't perfect so you can't expect miracles left and right. I stated that it would be a good place to get feedback and probably a quicker one as well.

I think the only drama here is you.

AH is dying, its number are falling year by year which is the definition of dying. If it were growing in number it would be getting healthier, its quite simply that the opposite is happening. Concerning the economy, the economy would be "recovered" or healthier then it was in '08 if all the debt people owed was paid back. That is clearly not feasable within the time frame (11 years) and it's not the case in many countries.

My assumptions are supported by the realities in front of us btw, I wouldn't be calling a spade a spade unless it were a spade.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2019, 06:19:51 PM »
The "Pigs" have a discord server setup so they can stay in contact over and across all the games they are trying out these days due to the lack of numbers in AH. I dont log on to it much, I know many are logged in all the time. As a new social media tool to have all the players "keep in touch" I dont think for all us old timers it is worth the trouble.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2019, 07:30:05 PM »

No, it had been suggested earlier that a team of players take over various official HTC Social Media channels and produce regular, timely content like Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, front web page, Discord, etc, etc (with HTC review).   

Just like you have a Scenario Team, you could have a Social Media Team so that this place just doesn't end up looking like a dust covered, dead museum.

I understand you were referring to a hypothetical volunteer team of players who aren't too snarky to represent HTC.  I was remembering the employee who had that job.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2019, 07:34:18 PM »

...I have publically stated that we should stop thinking of ideas to fix AH and let it die...

... It would also allow HTC to get closer to their potential customers/customers and get more feedback....

This is the basis for my comment about your assumptions.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2019, 07:46:53 PM »

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2019, 08:55:28 PM »
Having an official AH Discord server is a wonderful idea.  Once the channel permissions are set up it's pretty much no maintenance.  Other game devs use volunteer community managers to help police truly stupid content.  There really isn't much of a downside to it at all.     
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2019, 11:56:00 PM »
Here is the MPA Discord server:
https://discord.gg/gv6Pzgf
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2019, 10:24:25 AM »
HTC has to check two forums already. Wouldn't an official server require spending more time on unproductive work?

Curious about the business model, what does Discord get out of it?

Discord doesn't get anything out of it, although I'm not sure why they'd need to. It is no different than any other company offering a free service.

'Official' does not have to mean anything more than sponsored by HTC. Posted on the homepage and stuff like that. It can still have community moderators just like there are in-game. It would also be a nice outlet for the CM Team to post event notifications.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2019, 10:32:38 AM »
Discord doesn't get anything out of it, although I'm not sure why they'd need to. It is no different than any other company offering a free service.

I searched and got this.  Discord has more than 87 million users, and is planning to rule over the $1.7 billion worth of voice chat market. ...Discord’s revenue model is still a work in progress.

They say they don't want advertising or user data sales for a revenue stream but they hope to figure out a way to stay in business.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2019, 10:49:04 AM »
I searched and got this.  Discord has more than 87 million users, and is planning to rule over the $1.7 billion worth of voice chat market. ...Discord’s revenue model is still a work in progress.

They say they don't want advertising or user data sales for a revenue stream but they hope to figure out a way to stay in business.

There is a Nitro option which is a monthly fee that has some bonus features. I am sure the large games that have verified servers are kicking back money. It has 250 million users, I don't see it going away any time soon seeing as it has funding from Tencent and other large companies.

I still fail to see how more publicity and easier access to help, tech support, etc. is a bad idea.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2019, 12:01:20 PM »
Put the MPA association discord on the front page and I change it into an all round AH discord. Heck I will even mange the Discord.

If discord ever wants to make money we just delete it. I don't see what the fuss is about. #freeserviceswecantakeadvantgeoff
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 12:07:16 PM by TWCAxew »
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.