Author Topic: Another 737 down  (Read 7927 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Another 737 down
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2020, 09:27:16 PM »
Only thing they missed is trudeau hiding under a table crying.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2020, 11:49:57 PM »
however Congress did know that we had agreed to pay the money before the money was sent.

Congress knew that the administration intended to settle the claim.  They weren't told any details, including how much, so they didn't have any chance to say, "Are you kidding?"

the money was agreed upon by us and Iran because the USA thought they were about to lose the case in the Hague.

I like you, Semp.  You and I have different political opinions, but you are thoughtful in your responses, and you read articles in detail and understand them.  I think that you are an intelligent guy.  (And I love flying with you in scenarios.  :aok)

In this case, the above is indeed what the administration said.  But most people do not have any experience in court cases or settlements, and the above won't strike them as ridiculous.  But for people who have some court and settlement experience, that explanation is a "dog ate my homework" level of justification because of the following.

There wasn't indication from the Hague that it was finalizing things in January, 2017 after spending 37 years on it so far.  Whenever the Hague would have gotten around to finishing -- who knows when that would have been -- the finding could have been zero (or maybe less than zero, with Iran owing damages).  Or it could have been some amount minus all the awarded damages with priority (meaning all the money would go to US victims, not to Iran).  A likely maximum would be full amount plus interest.  It seems highly unlikely that the court would go to full amount plus interest plus damages, as that is generally reserved for glaring cases of wrongdoing, whereas in this case, the money was frozen because Iran attacked the embassy, kidnapped people, and then hold them hostage, and the money was being held pending what the court ruled.  I.e., the freeze had reasonable justification with precedent, and the US was complying with the international legal process for resolution -- making damages highly unlikely.  Because there was glaring wrongdoing on Iran's part, it might even be that damages would have been against Iran.  Also, awarding substantial damages would be a message to all terrorist regimes that there can be financial benefit to their activities.  It would be so outrageous a finding that I would expect the US to appeal (if that were possible) and, if not possible or possible but not reversed, (rightly) refuse to comply at that point.

Folks who have court and settlement experience would find it laughable to volunteer a settlement at the conceivable maximum of what the court would rule, before the court case was even at its end.

Also, Semp, lets say the following happened to you.  You had a father, brother, or son murdered by Iran-backed terrorists.  There was a court case over it, and the court awarded you and your family $2 million to be paid by Iran.  The court knew that Iran would not comply, but there was a fortunate external situation -- a bunch of Iranian money was being held in the US.  So, the court (or US government) mandated that the held money could not be repaid to Iran until after Iran paid you the damages owed.  However, after many years of you waiting while the money sat there, along came a US administration that paid all the money back to Iran without you getting anything.  It is now highly likely that you and your family will never get any money from Iran for its involvement in the murder or your father, brother, or son.

Would you be OK with that?  I'm not OK with that.

btw why isn't a big deal that Bush released 200 million to Iran years before?

Are we done with the current topic (Obama administration paying Iran $1.7 billion) and transitioning to talking about whatever it was Bush did, which is a different topic?  It's OK with me if we are done with this topic.  Please let me know.

like I say it was in the newspapers when the settlement was announced and the payments were sent after.

Kid:  "Mom, I'm going to buy some candy."
Mom:  no response, perhaps expecting to see what it is before reaching the checkout line.
Kid:  "Oh, by the way, I already bought the candy.  I bought $10,000 worth.  You are OK with that, right?  You didn't object when I said I was going to get some."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:52:14 PM by Brooke »

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2020, 08:14:31 AM »
As was said elsewhere in this thread..
We have shot down a loaded Airliner before, so have others..
Airliner bumbles into a hot zone, somebody pushes a button..
Iran copped to it, so you haven't heard the criticism heaped on..
Not much USA can say, without being flaming hypocrites..

Now the Revolutionary guards are using live ammo to disperse
crowds of protestors vs the regime..

Good luck to the Persian patriots.. :pray
May they regain control of their own destiny!

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:19:25 AM by OldNitro »

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2020, 08:28:20 AM »
There’s only one true way to rid that area of Evil.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2020, 08:42:50 AM »
As was said elsewhere in this thread..
We have shot down a loaded Airliner before, so have others..
Airliner bumbles into a hot zone, somebody pushes a button..
Iran copped to it, so you haven't heard the criticism heaped on..
Not much USA can say, without being flaming hypocrites..

Now the Revolutionary guards are using live ammo to disperse
crowds of protestors vs the regime..

Good luck to the Persian patriots.. :pray
May they regain control of their own destiny!

Really? 

You don't justify bad behavior with other bad behavior and I can't recall a time when the USA shot down an airliner since Vincennes in 1988--that's over thirty years ago.  (No, TWA 800 conspiracists, that was not a missile in 1996.)   There's no hypocrisy in condemning Iran's stupidity here.

And the reason they're not catching flak for it is because the media uses them as a foil to attack OMB.  It's pretty obvious.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:49:15 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2020, 09:04:07 AM »
It would be nice if Hitech didn't have to waste his time policing the forum.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2020, 09:08:42 AM »

Really? 

LOL, Yes Really!
88 was like yesterday to me..

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2020, 09:12:51 AM »

LOL, Yes Really!
88 was like yesterday to me..

Most of the people involved in that are long dead.   Move on.
”KILLER V”

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2020, 10:47:59 AM »
To much politics to try to clean up. So i'll just lock it.