Author Topic: Went into Cloud, Lost Icons  (Read 666 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Went into Cloud, Lost Icons
« on: January 12, 2020, 08:41:35 PM »

I was testing a AI mission in a Custom Arena.  I was following a formation of AI bombers and my icons were showing initially.
I passed though a cloud and when I came out the other side all the icons were gone from the bombers.Cycling though the icon modes did not restore them. 
The film attached did not cover the change, but interestingly the icons aren't working in the film either even if you have "Show Icons" checked.  Hopefully it has some debug information.

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Went into Cloud, Lost Icons
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:16:54 AM »
I noticed in the test mission as well.

I set the clouds to light5k.awa to prevent it happening again. This cloud file doesn't seem to have the same issue.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 11:22:55 AM »
I noticed in the test mission as well.

I set the clouds to light5k.awa to prevent it happening again. This cloud file doesn't seem to have the same issue.

Yes, that is a workaround, but to some extent, raising the river to hide the rocks.

But sometimes you just have to live to fight another day. ;)
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 11:42:56 AM »
I saw this behavior on those bomber missions you did up for me.

The behavior seems to be if you get into the cloud to the point the screen goes into that complete greyout like a blackout, when it comes out, no icons and can't get them back.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 11:51:09 AM »
What cloud file were you using? We have some new files that have been used in FSO without issue that are heavier than light5k if you want.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 11:55:27 AM »
What cloud file were you using? We have some new files that have been used in FSO without issue that are heavier than light5k if you want.

pantelleria.awa.
http://electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/ahScenarioGuild/cloudDesignsAH3.htm

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 11:58:56 AM »
Hmm alright. I do remember using that in Scenario and there weren't icon issues...but not sure if maybe it is some sort of issue going from SEA to Custom/Offline. We used this one recently in FSO:
http://electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/ahScenarioGuild/cloudDesigns/med5kmed15k.awa

Not nearly as heavy as the pantelleria one was, though.

I had asked HiTech to look into the cloud issue a while back to narrow down if it was just a cloud file issue that needed to be addressed, or something with the terrain, or arena. Not sure if he ever got around to it, though.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 12:02:00 PM »
Hmm alright. I do remember using that in Scenario and there weren't icon issues...but not sure if maybe it is some sort of issue going from SEA to Custom/Offline. We used this one recently in FSO:
http://electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/ahScenarioGuild/cloudDesigns/med5kmed15k.awa

Not nearly as heavy as the pantelleria one was, though.

I had asked HiTech to look into the cloud issue a while back to narrow down if it was just a cloud file issue that needed to be addressed, or something with the terrain, or arena. Not sure if he ever got around to it, though.

I'll see if I can create a new mission to test/repro it easily and quickly.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 02:04:04 PM »
I just uploaded a offline mission where I can pretty consistently repro the issue.  "Cloud Icon Test".

Steps:
As soon as the mission starts, maintain direction, roll a bit and look at your low 6 clk.  You'll see the bomber formation and they will have icons.
Continue on that heading and go into auto climb into the clouds ahead of you until you reach about 29800. 
At some point you will break out of the cloud bank.  Reverse and find the bombers again.  No icon.

Attached in a second film.  This one actually does capture the transition from icons to no icons. 
As soon as the film starts, pause, make sure "Show Icons" is checked and go external view and view low 6 clk.  See bombers with icons.
Play film until player exits cloud bank and watch him return to the bombers and notice no icons. 

:salute