Author Topic: Staged Missions Flight Properties: AI Alias'  (Read 898 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Staged Missions Flight Properties: AI Alias'
« on: January 12, 2020, 09:29:30 PM »

In the Mission Editor Flight Properties dialog, have a multiline text field where the designed can enter a list of alias' for the AI in the mission.  Maybe linefeed separated.  One for each position in the flight.  If there are too many, some are ignored.  If there are none, use normal AI naming. If there are some, but not enough, use normal AI naming after the listed names have been used.

When the mission runs, instead of seeing "AI1" "AI13" you might see "GrpCptBader" or "Hartmann", etc.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Staged Missions Flight Properties: AI Alias'
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 08:54:44 AM »
Not very doable, all game id's must be unique, and hence already in the Data Base. Coming up with a fixed list and selection from those would be possible.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 09:50:25 AM »
Not very doable, all game id's must be unique, and hence already in the Data Base. Coming up with a fixed list and selection from those would be possible.

Probably not worth worrying about any time soon.  Would be very rare use.  I was jsut thinking of Battle of Britain missions or anything historical where you wingmen were famous pilots it would add a level of drama.

If you did want to do it maybe it could be implemented as an additional displayName data field that is separate from it's true id (so you keep your current id logic).  When you'd go to build the icon, you could check if it had a displayName in the data and use that, else use the normal id.  So the displayName would augment the id, not replace it.  We have a similar pattern in a project I work on.

$0.02.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 10:51:01 AM »
It would be simpler just to have a fixed lists (different counties list) of game, then the ai automaticly selects from those names based on the planes country.
I believe we had that at one point.

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 11:08:25 AM »
It would be simpler just to have a fixed lists (different counties list) of game, then the ai automaticly selects from those names based on the planes country.
I believe we had that at one point.

HiTech

Whatever is easiest.  I'm assuming you mean the designer would be able to choose from that static list.

So to be clear, what I'd be going for is the mission designer to be able to have some control.  For instance if I was making a historical mission of the Dillinger squad that took out yamamoto.  I'd want to manually assign the AI of that p-38 flight the names:

LtLanphier
LtBarber
LtMcLanahan
LtMoore

You wouldn't want LtBong randomly inserted.  ;)  But if the designer can control that, that would meet my needs. 

I guess there could be a process to submit historical names with their associated data to the HTC database like people submit skins for inclusion.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »

Whatever is easiest.  I'm assuming you mean the designer would be able to choose from that static list.

So to be clear, what I'd be going for is the mission designer to be able to have some control.  For instance if I was making a historical mission of the Dillinger squad that took out yamamoto.  I'd want to manually assign the AI of that p-38 flight the names:

LtLanphier
LtBarber
LtMcLanahan
LtMoore

You wouldn't want LtBong randomly inserted.  ;)  But if the designer can control that, that would meet my needs. 

I guess there could be a process to submit historical names with their associated data to the HTC database like people submit skins for inclusion.

No, the names would be automatically assigned at launch time just like now with the AIXX, only it would just choose from a list of fixed names.

HiTech

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 02:34:43 PM »
Makes sense, how many names would be required to fill the data base to compensate for the current naming convention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 03:09:08 PM »
No, the names would be automatically assigned at launch time just like now with the AIXX, only it would just choose from a list of fixed names.

HiTech

Ah.  Maybe not worth your effort then.  It would add a little interesting flavor to general missions, but would probably be detrimental for a historical mission.  Maybe if you had the option to turn it off and prefer plain AIxxx.  Otherwise the armchair generals will be up in arms complaining I put the wrong people in the mission and I don't know my history!  :D 

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 02:06:59 PM »
I, want to know for sure that I killed or was killed by an AI.

Maybe use the same system that the achievement stars to have another symbol before a name to indicate a bot?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 07:25:56 PM »
I, want to know for sure that I killed or was killed by an AI.

Maybe use the same system that the achievement stars to have another symbol before a name to indicate a bot?

In this particular case, I was talking more about offline single player, but I agree with you.

I have always said there should be an icon decoration to denote AI.  Some people might not want to blow their alt to dive down and kill an AI C47.  Some will.  Showing on the icon what are AI planes, friend and foe, would aleviate a lot of concerns.

Usually, AI is not listed on the roster though.

You would want it denoted in any logs if you are using normal names that don't obviously denote AI.