Author Topic: Windows 7 to 10?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
Windows 7 to 10?
« on: January 18, 2020, 11:54:17 AM »
Hello,

I just got the notification that Windows 7 is no longer supported. I knew this was coming but forgot about it.

The only thing I use my PC for is this game. I don't use it for browsing or online purchases.

Do I need to upgrade to 10 if I only use this PC for Aces High?

Thanks,

BuckShot ~S~
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Windows 7 to 10?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 11:58:10 AM »
Hello,

I just got the notification that Windows 7 is no longer supported. I knew this was coming but forgot about it.

The only thing I use my PC for is this game. I don't use it for browsing or online purchases.

Do I need to upgrade to 10 if I only use this PC for Aces High?

Thanks,

BuckShot ~S~

You do not need to upgrade.

If you do decide to upgrade at some point and have your windows 7 install disk and product code. You can install windows 10 and use the install code from windows 7.

HiTech

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 12:01:13 PM »
Thanks HiTech!

I still have that CD and label...and thanks for the lightning fast response!

Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 02:46:48 PM »
The official Microsoft announcements say that the free offer ended back in 2015 and in the "End of support" message of Win7 they tell that an upgrade can be bought, yet upgrading or installing with the Win7 key has been possible up to this day and hopefully in the near future as well. However, since they're officially said that the free offer has ended they can cancel it anyday they want.

One trick you can do if you want to ensure that you can upgrade your current rig someday is to upgrade over your existing Win7 and after 10 has successfully activated, roll back to 7. That should add the electronic activating code to your system for future use. You can download the upgrade tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, choose to "upgrade this computer now".
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 04:21:07 PM »
I would do a fresh install on a new drive if you decide to upgrade to 10.

HiTech

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 02:58:01 AM »
I would do a fresh install on a new drive if you decide to upgrade to 10.

HiTech
Absolutely the best option.

My previous post just is a quick and dirty way to get the electronic activation for those who don't have or can't get another drive just now.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 08:27:39 AM »
I don't have a broadband connect so would probably buy a Win10 dvd.  Just boot from the dvd and Win10 will install over Win7?

If I install a second ssd for Win10 does it need to be formatted/partitioned with Win7 before the Win10 install?   Or, formatted and partitioned with Win10 during the install?

Been a long time since I messed with such stuff.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2020, 08:49:46 AM »
I don't have a broadband connect so would probably buy a Win10 dvd.  Just boot from the dvd and Win10 will install over Win7?

If I install a second ssd for Win10 does it need to be formatted/partitioned with Win7 before the Win10 install?   Or, formatted and partitioned with Win10 during the install?

Been a long time since I messed with such stuff.

Have someone download it and burn to DVD. It will still need to update.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »
Rather than a DVD I'd use a memory stick, 8 GB and up.

There's no need to format a hard disk before installing. The installation process will take care of both formatting and creating the small system partitions. Unless you want to partition the SSD which most likely isn't an optimal solution.

Kotisivuni

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 05:11:01 PM »
Can a new ssd drive be installed and then download win 10 to it if win 7 is installed on a ssd drive (C) already? A clean install on the new drive?

If so, what is the procedure?     Thanks for any tips/info.    Bixby.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 07:03:09 PM »
If your MB will boot from a USB drive you can download Win10, put it on a usb stick, unplug your old SSD, plug in the new SSD, install Win10 from the USB drive to the new SSD. Make sure the MB is set to boot from the new SSD. Once that's done you can plug the old SSD back in for a data drive.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2020, 12:52:41 AM »
Run the Tool on the Microsoft website https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10, choose to "create an installing media --- for this computer" (phrasing is my own but you get the idea when you see it). Make a bootable USB stick as per the instructions.

Then do as FLS said.

If you get to the screen where you'd have to choose the version of Windows 10, choose the one that matches your Win7 i.e. Home to Home, Pro to Pro. W7 Ultimate is also Pro. If you choose to create the stick "for this computer" the Tool may already choose the right version as well as copy the license code. So you may choose "I don't have a license code" as well and continue from there. Should the code not follow with the stick you can add the Win7 code later when the computer prompts for activation.

Kotisivuni

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 09:24:02 AM »
Thanks FLS and Bizman. I will do as you suggest.

I have a new 32GB usb stick. That should be large enough, correct?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »
Yes. Win 10 is about 7-8gb usually (depends on image).
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 09:25:56 AM »
Just saw the earlier post saying 8 GB and up.  Thanks again.