Author Topic: Loss of Columbia anniversary  (Read 494 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Loss of Columbia anniversary
« on: February 01, 2020, 11:45:15 AM »
Willie McCool and I were in the same Boy Scout district for a short time. Different troops but I remember him at a couple of events. His troop and mine challenged each other to a chicken fight one night (one scout gets on the shoulders of another and opposing pairs attempt to get the others to topple). We did it en masse and I, of course, was a horse (carrier) so I didn't see much (my rider didn't topple, though). I don't remember either troop being declared a 'winner' but it was a lot of fun.

As I followed his career I always thought of him as my 'alter-ego' (living my dream that I was too lazy to pursue). He made Eagle, I clung to Tenderfoot. He graduated from Annapolis, I decided to enlist rather than attend TTU. He became a Naval Aviator, I rode in P-3s. He became an astronaut, I went home and struggled through multiple civilian occupations (some good, some bad).

Though he has passed and I live on, I admire him still.

<S> Cdr. McCool.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: Loss of Columbia anniversary
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 01:56:08 PM »
 :salute

I remember, on that day it was reported on my car radio, exactly where I was.
I was on a backroad between Helena, Al and Hoover, Al and omw to repair a CT...
Truly a sad day
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 02:27:45 PM »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 10:40:23 AM »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Misery

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 11:18:02 AM »
I've always had a profound sense of respect for the people strapping rockets to their tulips to journey into space as well as the people that put them there. I remember watching the Challenger's last flight. It was the last space shuttle live footage I'd ever watch.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »
I'm wondering if they'll ever construct and fly a newer shuttle in the future.  The tech now is significantly better than when they constructed the original shuttles, as such, safety is also likely to be much better.  Though price of a getting a shuttle into orbit and back is still as high (if not higher) as it was for the original shuttles, compared to the pods they use right now (capsules are much smaller, therefore lighter and cheaper to get into orbit).  Can't even imagine the science and logistics required for shuttles, though definitely much higher than that of a pod.

I remember as a kid, imagining a Shuttle orbiting the Moon on some kind of mission.  I will continue to hope for a day like that despite the fact that it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.