Author Topic: Spit 16 flys better with missing wing  (Read 625 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Spit 16 flys better with missing wing
« on: February 23, 2020, 08:43:20 AM »
Got jumped last night, our fault, a winged pair of Bishop Spit 16's jumped our heavy 38's ,  had us beat at the get go,  my lead took the brunt of it, My bad, got out of position and failed to check his six, We managed to split them but was forced to dump ords, they fell for a turn fight, lead blow the wing tip (the outer 5 feet) of his, I did a one turn vertical turn fight with my 16 and blow off his entire wing.  They had managed to take out leads Starboard engine on their first pass.  I gave chance to the wounded 16 and a Bish P51 joined, making an HO run on us, I avoided and the 51 moved on to HO lead and died as a result.  I do have film. Which I just finished reviewing.  Now I know the 16 is quick, that's for sure, but with a damaged wing, I'd think that they should not be able to fly at the top end of their speed range and I'd think that the roll rate would be affected.  But not this spit.  It was like there was no damage what so ever.    A Tactical Victory to them, stopping our mission and damaging one P38L, at a cost of one Spit 16, one P51D and one damaged Spit 16.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Spit 16 flys better with missing wing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:58:12 AM »
You are claiming that a Spit16 was able to fly at top speed with no difference in roll rate with half a wing missing.

Anyone who has lost part of a wing knows that it affects performance.

The roll ability with half a wing is improved at high speed, it's the low speed roll that's a problem and that can be mitigated somewhat with flaps.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 03:22:12 PM »
You are claiming that a Spit16 was able to fly at top speed with no difference in roll rate with half a wing missing.

Anyone who has lost part of a wing knows that it affects performance.

The roll ability with half a wing is improved at high speed, it's the low speed roll that's a problem and that can be mitigated somewhat with flaps.
Yes, that was my observation.  I recorded it.  The speed shown for the spit16 never varied from his top speed which at the time I thought strange.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 05:06:04 PM »
If you have video that you believe shows a bug you might post it.