Author Topic: New TE bugs on my machine - ideas please??  (Read 1011 times)

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
New TE bugs on my machine - ideas please??
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2001, 03:32:00 PM »
Ahh Sparks, you had the specifics here!!!  So the problem is getting the 64x64, 128x128 or 256x256 -thingies to work in the mapmaker?  Well, it doesn't work for me either.    But thats ok, I've just scaled the terrain accordingly in the mapmaker (getting a 512x512 terrain) and went from there...

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Camouflage (edited 02-18-2001).]
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2001, 04:58:00 PM »
Thanks for replying Camo

I'm perhaps not explaining it too well or not doing something right but this is the steps I am taking.

I am trying to use a piece of the North of England as the basis for a terrain. So I have started up Mapmaker and loaded a piece of geography starting at 55.5deg N and -2.5 deg E (thats 2.5W) and made it 2.5 deg wide. Mapmaker loads the data ok and I see a relief display of the NE of England - so far so good. I have even spun it around in Mapmaker to be sure the relief data is there.

Ok next I click on the "Export" button in mapmaker and when I look in the mapmaker folder there are two new files - mapmaker.elv and mapmaker.typ - again so far so good.

I shut down Mapmaker and start the TE. Click on "Edit Terrain" and end up with the usual overhead view of the tower in the ocean. I go to set map size and set it to 512 (I have tried all the other sizes with same result).
I then "Set Terrain" to Dales and then click on the "Build Terrain" button. I then close and shut down the TE.
Next I go to explorer and open up the "terrains" folder in the editor folder and there is a new folder called "Dales". I delete the existing Dales.elev and Dales.typ files. I then copy the Mapmaker files in and rename them to Dales - they appear to be the same size as the ones I delete.
I then check the currterr.sys is set to Dales and restart the TE.

When I go to "edit Terrain" I am looking at a completely flat terrain of grass with areas of grassy rock or dark green (forest??) and no ocean in sight. It seems that although the mapmaker file is loaded there is no elevation data and the type info is lost or corrupt.

I have tried this many times and even reinstalled TE - no difference - any ideas??

Sparks

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2001, 05:43:00 PM »
I couldn't get any of the other programs to work either, I gave up on the map program..
NUTTZ

Originally posted by Sparks:
Thanks for replying Camo

I'm perhaps not explaining it too well or not doing something right but this is the steps I am taking.

I am trying to use a piece of the North of England as the basis for a terrain. So I have started up Mapmaker and loaded a piece of geography starting at 55.5deg N and -2.5 deg E (thats 2.5W) and made it 2.5 deg wide. Mapmaker loads the data ok and I see a relief display of the NE of England - so far so good. I have even spun it around in Mapmaker to be sure the relief data is there.

Ok next I click on the "Export" button in mapmaker and when I look in the mapmaker folder there are two new files - mapmaker.elv and mapmaker.typ - again so far so good.

I shut down Mapmaker and start the TE. Click on "Edit Terrain" and end up with the usual overhead view of the tower in the ocean. I go to set map size and set it to 512 (I have tried all the other sizes with same result).
I then "Set Terrain" to Dales and then click on the "Build Terrain" button. I then close and shut down the TE.
Next I go to explorer and open up the "terrains" folder in the editor folder and there is a new folder called "Dales". I delete the existing Dales.elev and Dales.typ files. I then copy the Mapmaker files in and rename them to Dales - they appear to be the same size as the ones I delete.
I then check the currterr.sys is set to Dales and restart the TE.

When I go to "edit Terrain" I am looking at a completely flat terrain of grass with areas of grassy rock or dark green (forest??) and no ocean in sight. It seems that although the mapmaker file is loaded there is no elevation data and the type info is lost or corrupt.

I have tried this many times and even reinstalled TE - no difference - any ideas??

Sparks

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2001, 06:46:00 PM »
Hmmm, sounds like you're doing it right. I wonder what goes wrong?  I made the mapmaker files with the parameters you gave.  

The .elv and .typ files are here: <edit> not anymore   </edit>

Try them out. If it works, then your mapmaker is mis-installed. I recommend you reset your mapmaker .cfg file settings to the originals, maybe even reinstall mapmaker and verify that your DEM data is correct.  If it still doesnt work, then your AH TE is porked. We'll see how we'll solve this in that case!  

Good luck!

Camo

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Camouflage (edited 02-19-2001).]
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2001, 07:35:00 PM »
Sparks, you do realize that when in the TE in the zoomed out overhead view, you are not seeing the entire 512x512 terrain.  In fact you are only seeing a very small portion of it at the exact center.

Build a clipboard map first, put it into the TE, and then use the standard moving features of the TE to move around and see if the AH terrain matches the clipboard map you made from Ogres Mapmaker utility.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2001, 06:20:00 AM »
<Sparks reads Verms reply>
<Sparks opens TE and flys around ALL of terrain>
<noise of Sparks banging head on computor Keyboard>

OOOOOOKayyyyy... so I'm an idiot - I admit it - the TE should be idiot proof !!!!  

Right - so Verm - can you point me to where the "how to" is on building a clipboard map - I.ve downloaded and re-read the editor manual but can't find it - it just says it will be covered in a later tutorial.

Also can terrains be built to smaller sizes or is it still only 512 X 512 - the reason I ask is Mapmaker has the option now to size the export and there is the Map Size button on the editor panel (or is that just clipboard map size ??)

Thanks

Sparks

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2001, 06:37:00 AM »
I'm glad you fixed the bug, Sparks!      

The easiest way to make the clipboard map is to take a screenshot of the terrain in Mapmaker:  When in mapmaker, with the terrain visible on the screen, press "PRINT SCREEN" button, on the left side of F12.  Then open an image editor program and press "CTRL-V" to PASTE the picture there.  You should now see the screenshot of the mapmaker view.  

Now cut and paste - carefully so you wont leave "edges" - just the area of the map and resize it to 512x512 pixels.  There you have the base for the clipboard map. If you want to make any changes to it, do them always to this "one piece" map, which you then crop into 4 smaller 256x256 pieces, needed for the TE.

Now, once you have finished the clipboard map (adding the radar sectors, your initials, etc       ), use the "canvas resize" or "crop" function to cut the 512x512 map into four 256x256 images.  Save them as map0.bmp - map3.bmp in 8 bit (256 colour) colour depth.  Map0 is the upper left, map1 upper right, map2 lower left, map3 lower right corner of the clipboard map.

Place the 4 bmp's into the folder of the specific terrain and there you have it!      

Verify by "flying" in TE that the clipboard map corresponds to the terrain.  

Don't loose the "original" 512x512 map, it is always good to make the changes there and only after that cut it into the 4 pieces.

Camo

CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2001, 08:48:00 AM »

Originally posted by Sparks:

Right - so Verm - can you point me to where the "how to" is on building a clipboard map - I.ve downloaded and re-read the editor manual but can't find it - it just says it will be covered in a later tutorial.

Its on the last page: http://downloads.hitechcreations.com/AHEDITDOC.ZIP

3-   A bitmap image of your terrain map can be imported to the clipboard map.  The clipboard map image is comprised of four 256 x 256 x 256 color bmp's.  Each bmp represents a quadrant of the map area that is displayed on the clipboard.  The four files are map0.bmp through map3.bmp and need to be located in the directory that contains your raw terrain files.  Map0.bmp is the upper-left quadrant, map1 is the upper-right, map2 is the lower-left, and map 4 is the lower-right.  The size of the area you wish to display can be set from the Map Size button on the main editor menu.  Templates with grids for various map sizes are shipped with the editor.

Camo

CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!