Author Topic: What is your definition of a HO? Mine is different im sure  (Read 5433 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: What is your definition of a HO? Mine is different im sure
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2020, 02:09:10 PM »

Whoa!  Look who's back!  Dude!

- oldman

I never forget the amazing and generous hearted people who make up this community. Especially you sir.

Glad to see you indeed

S!
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2020, 04:50:51 PM »
Batfink!!! Nice to see you sir! Hope all's well at your end of the world. Come back and see us...I need your training help as I still suck after all these years! :old:  :salute

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2020, 05:17:23 PM »
Batfink!!! Nice to see you sir! Hope all's well at your end of the world. Come back and see us...I need your training help as I still suck after all these years! :old:  :salute

Max! I would be surprised if I even know how to take off without augering now. At least if I can fly a SpitV I might stand a chance of not spinning into the ground. Life is good, we have a boy now, 2.5 years old, another one baking in the oven, should be a girl. Found a hobby that takes even more of our time than fighting but is somehow related, jumping out of planes. Pretty much the only thing I could train anyone for now is bailing out.

Still get the itch sometimes, AH is surely the greatest game I ever played.

S!
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2020, 06:29:19 PM »
 :salute Batfink, good to see you sir. Congrats on the little ones.

Your definition of a ho is spot on.

:cheers:
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2020, 07:08:33 PM »

Max! I would be surprised if I even know how to take off without augering now. At least if I can fly a SpitV I might stand a chance of not spinning into the ground. Life is good, we have a boy now, 2.5 years old, another one baking in the oven, should be a girl. Found a hobby that takes even more of our time than fighting but is somehow related, jumping out of planes. Pretty much the only thing I could train anyone for now is bailing out.

Still get the itch sometimes, AH is surely the greatest game I ever played.

S!

You Batfink! Glad to hear you are doing well have a good family now! You gotta train them in AH when they are old enough haha. Awesome you are still flying. I bet your wife loves that LOL. Wish I could get into that kind of stuff. Seems so cool. Must be some real freedom flying thru the air like that. Will be pretty cool once you get the youngans up there with ya. Best to you out there.  :rock  :salute
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2020, 01:02:46 PM »
Just the perspective from the enemy and your cockpit can be different so we usually not talking about the same picture. Each pilot sees his own picture and bases his ho-no-ho decision on his picture. Similar to collisions, its not just two planes.
Just my silly opinion.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »
What is the big deal?

HOing was a valid tactic used by many/ most pilots during WW2

If you don't want to participate in one be sure to change your flight path to stay out of the other guys front end.

What you don't want to do is think the other player will not ho as stats show the opposite.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2020, 01:58:03 PM »
Just the perspective from the enemy and your cockpit can be different so we usually not talking about the same picture. Each pilot sees his own picture and bases his ho-no-ho decision on his picture. Similar to collisions, its not just two planes.
Just my silly opinion.

True, but that difference in angle isn't much unless both of you are turning hard.  A lot of "HO" complaints are when you see the guy come straight for a shot from 3k out.

What is the big deal?

If you don't want to participate in one be sure to change your flight path to stay out of the other guys front end.

What you don't want to do is think the other player will not ho as stats show the opposite.

<S>

Eagler

Exactly.  It has always seemed to me to be insane to cross the enemy's gunsight and expect them not to pull the trigger in the Melee arena.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2020, 06:46:12 PM »
True, but that difference in angle isn't much unless both of you are turning hard.  A lot of "HO" complaints are when you see the guy come straight for a shot from 3k out.
Exactly.  It has always seemed to me to be insane to cross the enemy's gunsight and expect them not to pull the trigger in the Melee arena.
Wiley.

Lately most of my flying experience, what little there is, occurs before KOTH and you are among the very, very few can relate to why I said that. 

I think of jousts and hos as being similar when they just head at each other. In one circle and two circle fights you are bound to come nose to nose.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2020, 11:13:37 AM »
What is the big deal?

<S>

Eagler

USAAF pilots in the Pacific used head on attacks as one of the preferred tactics.  Surprisingly, the Japanese army and naval pilots did not prefer to use head on tactics if 8t could be avoided and would try to break away if the US fighter was going for the HO.

The head on attack was the preferred tactic for Richard Bong.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2020, 11:27:49 AM »
It's not a HO it;s a John Wayne merge!

Heya Bat,long time no hear.

:salute

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2020, 03:33:04 PM »
USAAF pilots in the Pacific used head on attacks as one of the preferred tactics.  Surprisingly, the Japanese army and naval pilots did not prefer to use head on tactics if 8t could be avoided and would try to break away if the US fighter was going for the HO.

The head on attack was the preferred tactic for Richard Bong.

In the middle of the audio book "Race of Aces" now which is all about Bong and the other Pacific Aces

Great book

<S>

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2020, 09:24:54 PM »
there was ho'ing in WWII so quit whining
very rare! Only enabled as a policy in the Pacific Theater against gas cans with the slow f4f as it couldn’t dog fight them and could absorb hits from Zekes. May be the F6 f was included, not sure. Lord knows the “aces” didn’t do it, bad odds.

Funny thing a ho in aces high is pitifully easy to avoid. with two airvraft coming head with closure above 300 and closer to 500 no one can make a gun solution if one jinks to the side, a radical turn would black you out and other than a snapshot a hit is unlikely. So break inside and jink back to his 340 line and problem solved also another valid tactic is a lead turn. I won’t get into how that is done read a book? Now if I have someone trying to clear his bro’ 12, I will ho away and try to get at least one kill. The big problem is as mentioned that guy that will just ram you out of frustration! Just gotta live with that, at least u ain’t dead for real!
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2020, 10:25:41 PM »
The russians and germans both actively engaged in Head Ons (and ramming tactics)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2020, 05:36:09 AM »
very rare! Only enabled as a policy in the Pacific Theater against gas cans with the slow f4f as it couldn’t dog fight them and could absorb hits from Zekes. May be the F6 f was included, not sure. Lord knows the “aces” didn’t do it, bad odds.

Funny thing a ho in aces high is pitifully easy to avoid. with two airvraft coming head with closure above 300 and closer to 500 no one can make a gun solution if one jinks to the side, a radical turn would black you out and other than a snapshot a hit is unlikely. So break inside and jink back to his 340 line and problem solved also another valid tactic is a lead turn. I won’t get into how that is done read a book? Now if I have someone trying to clear his bro’ 12, I will ho away and try to get at least one kill. The big problem is as mentioned that guy that will just ram you out of frustration! Just gotta live with that, at least u ain’t dead for real!

Please read Race of Aces and you will find Bong HO'd in his 38

As did the other Aces in the race

Great book, highly recommend

<S>

Eagler