Author Topic: Getting VR running how to  (Read 640 times)

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
Getting VR running how to
« on: March 06, 2020, 08:57:59 PM »
I'm guessing these things are covered somewhere in the hundreds of posts here on the "All Things VR" topic but they are scattered all over and the search function sucks on this forum. Not sure why nobody has stickied a post on how to get things going correctly?

Here is what I learned while setting up an Oculus Rift S this week. This is what worked for me, you may be different.

1. You must use AH3 DX11 version (DX9 version did not work for me).

2. No need to start Oculus or SteamVR first, just run AH3 DX11 and you will get a prompt to use VR, select yes.

3. Map a key or switch to center your VR headset view. Hit that after launching AH3.

4. View Setup:
The 6 O'clock view can be difficult with VR so map a hat switch L and R to Left FRONT and Right FRONT view (worked much better than the settings that most people suggested to me of Left REAR / Right REAR or even pure 6 oclock view mapped to a button). The L/R frontal view gives a much smoother transition when tracking a con and allows you to see your 6 o'clock view with minimal head twisting.

Also, after mapping your L/R hat switch, hold hat switch left then lean out left and sit up in your seat. Hold that position and hit the F10 key to lock that view in to you left view. Repeat for right view. Now when you look rearward you should have a much better view with less headrest blocking your view.

5. Get VoiceAttack - the program. Works great for keyboard commands and macros when you can't see the keyboard with headset on.
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Getting VR running how to
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 10:21:22 PM »
The default rear view may need some adjusting but it works well if you look around the side of the headrest.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 02:26:53 AM »
The default rear view may need some adjusting but it works well if you look around the side of the headrest.
:aok THIS! The "look back" is all I need, nowadays! I used the same setup you are at first though. As you get used to VR, you will probably be like FLS and myself!  :cheers: WELCOME to the Virtual Sky, as it should be!  :salute Just dont get frustrated! It will take some time with Shot Timing, judging Closing Speeds ect. This aint your Daddy's AH  :rock OH...but when it "clicks" for you?????? :devil
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 02:51:04 AM »
Pro tip: get a fan going on your face.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 06:13:53 AM »
In VR I found you need to set the 6 and straight up view for each plane.

With the VR headset off, using the keyboard and monitor push the 6 and up views as far back as possible and save with F10.

VR views much better after setting that up.

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 07:57:35 AM »

The problem with this method for me is that it is a very harsh transition when you release your six view button. I am suddenly looking forward and lose sight of the con that I am trying to track. Really screws me up when in a maneuver like rolling scissors when I'm tracking a con from rear view to front and when I release the rear view button my view is snapped suddenly back to the front. I tried a few things and settings and a hat switch to Left Front and Right Front views really make the transition a lot smoother, I can now track a con smoothly from rear to front in a rolling scissors.
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 08:21:59 AM »
I have both side views and the rear view on a hat switch. Your method works too but I like to be able to make a quick glance back when I don't need to scan the side view.