Author Topic: How do I save Terr.gif to clipboard map? (NT)  (Read 637 times)

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
How do I save Terr.gif to clipboard map? (NT)
« on: August 19, 2000, 02:48:00 PM »
How do I change beta map for my newly created one on clipboard?
10Bears--

Rodney

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2000, 09:02:00 PM »
Not sure if this is the absolute best way, but it's how I managed to get the map to work:

(1) take a birds-eye image of your terrain from nice and high up with the screen shot button (Shift-S??)

(2) open the following file:

HTC\aheditor\terrains\maps\mapxxx.bmp

where xxx = the size of your map. E.g. map64.bmp is for a 64x64 size map.

(3) Place a copy of that file in the directory that your new terrain is in.

e.g. terrains\newterr\map64.bmp

(4) Cut and Paste the image of your terrain into the map file that you created in the terrain directory.

(5) Now the tricky part   : You need to cut the mapxxx.bmp file into 4 quarters. Each quarter should measure 256x256 pixels.

Name the quarter's in the following way:

Top Left quarter -> map0.bmp
Top Right quarter -> map1.bmp
Bottom Left quarter -> map2.bmp
Bottom Right quarter -> map3.bmp

(6) copy those four files into your new terrains directory.

e.g. terrains\newterr\map0.bmp etc

You might find it takes a while to get the map to fit exactly if your terrain doesn't fill the full area of the map. Trial and Error is the method I've used for that so far  

This is how I did it. There is probably a better way. If so, I would love to hear about it!  

Cheers,

Rod

[edit was to change the order you name the four maps - I goofed   ]

[This message has been edited by Rodney (edited 08-20-2000).]

Offline LuckyDay

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dailyplanetmusic.com
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2000, 06:18:00 PM »
If you use Ogre's EXCELLENT terrain utility, you can take a screenshot of the map once you have grabbed the terrain and then edit it in photoshop or whatever program you prefer... Worked great for the 1:1 "Battle of Los Angeles" map I am making.

Yes I know its dweeby.  I don't care.

------------------
LuckyDay
"What're you going to do, bleed on me?"

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2000, 02:56:00 AM »

Rod,

Thx for the solution it worked!  I found a shaded relief map of Kosovo at http://fermi.jhuapl.edu/states/   The 1st map, kosovo_1 shows location of cities, towns, railroads, highways etc. The 2nd map kosovo_u1  is just shaded relief. First I used Paintshop pro to blur/graduation blur. Then used selection tool for map itself and copied.  Didn't use contrast/brightness.. brightness causes deviation from correct elevation.  Next I used the bit2map program pasting the selected image as new selection into template.bmp. I noted image only took up maybe 1/2 of page. These are the boundaries of the areas you can see.  Created a kosovo.res with aheditor/bit2map ....wow!! best bit2map example so far... I didn't resize original map or lighten/darken... so the elevation are fairly exact!!  Nice for dogfightin' nice central plain, mountains to the east north to Serbia, mountains west toward Bosnia..... too cool..

Next step was to use the 1st map, kosovo_1  and went through the steps you gave me

One little cravat here, in bit2map you can select auto for ground cover. By not selecting this option, you don't get the .typ  ground cover file needed for the .res... so the scan comes out fur bar.. With auto selected, I'm getting farm land in areas I know for a fact they ain't farming up there!  I wish there was another way to get a .typ file without downloading a 25mb thing.
Thanks again for info, One more question: If I place 512map, map0, map1 etc in regular ah/terrain/kosovo will other players in h2h see the same clipboard map if I host?
10Bears--

Offline Ogre

• Zinc Member
      • http://reaper@cris.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2000, 06:30:00 AM »
10Bears,

If you post the specs on the region you ended up using (dunno if you cut up the one at that link) I'll run MapMaker and send you the typ file (or put it up for you to ftp).

The only caveat is that it may not exactly align with your current elv file if the map projection you used for the elv isn't the same as the one I use for MapMaker.  If it doesn't line up, it should be close (but you may need to do some cosmetic work).

For specs, I just need something that I can get the boundary latitude and longitude values.

-Ogre

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2000, 01:56:00 PM »
Orge, is this it? 20'30 X 42'30
latitude and longitude values.

other #s on map I found..
20'00 20'30 21'00 21'30 across the top

43'00 42'30 42'00 from top to bottom..

Thx for your assistance, I need to know two things.. how many miles betwn degrees? (maybe stupid question but I'm just a ranch hand  ) Its to help figure out what 512 miles are.
  Also, can I send you 'Kosovo' folder? I did a very nice job with clipboard map and got the terrain almost perfect, I'd like to compete with verm who already has ftp site -g- and is currently recieving adulation from ah community -g-
ps. I got full Pristina

What I'd like to send you in zipped form:
Kosovo.elv
" ".flb
" ".mdm
" "oba
" "obb
" "plb
" "typ
" "wca
" "wcb
" "map0
" "map1
" "map2
" "map3
" "map128
Zipped its 1.6mb and takes several minutes to recieve in mail (mostly bmp files)
10Bears--

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2000, 07:13:00 AM »
LOL!!   10Bears

Realize that I had a little head start on you. I was one of the five guys that worked on the Terrain Editor during the closed beta, and I had the terrain about 80% done when it was released to the public.

I literally have more than 200 hours (probably alot more) invested in the Mediterranean terrain. Of course alot of that time was just learning the Editor, building airfields, and of course historical research.

And I won't even mention the fact that I had to start over from scratch, at least 3 times, due to design errors, or other problems I had.

Even if I knew what I know now, I think it would take at least 75-100 hours of work to properly build a full scale 512x512 terrain. And thats before debugging time.

So don't think I am so terrain editor whiz or anything   I just had a head start.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"