Author Topic: OK, every once in a while I get the itch...  (Read 2515 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: OK, every once in a while I get the itch...
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 03:45:20 AM »
Toad, just got back into the game myself.

Outstanding....same goes for Toad!

Now if I could clear some matters off my plate and play more frequently

Cheers

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2020, 09:15:53 AM »
Hajo, glad you are back. It IS a great game. My plan is to give it all a go.

Right now, I'm in a transition phase.

Oh sure, I'm still the dashing ex-professional aviator I always was, with a full head of dark hair and the same lightning like reflexes and eagle-eyed vision I had in my 20s.

Now if you believe all that.......I do have a sale on a bridge in the northeast.

Anyway, I'm moving a few states north from where I am now, bought a new house, selling the present house. Will have to get the internet figured out and then a computer upgrade. I just was not happy with the one I built and how it played AHIII. The big thing that ticked me off was the ASUS mobo I used. AFTER the purchase, I found out it has a known problem recognizing all 16MB of ram I put in. It only sees 8MB. So, I KNOW I'm going new mobo and since I'm doing that...well....you know.

As for the 'net. Where I'm going out in the sticks there's a very poor DSL option that neighbors say suxxors. There's a Fixed Wireless option that folks says works fairly well but is expen$ive. The other option is Verizon Wireless streaming from my phone. It's 4G; probably won't see 5G out in the sticks for a long time. However, it is an area with very good Verizon coverage. So we are thinking a Verizon mobile hotspot and streaming everything from that. Not that much $$ to upgrade my current Verizon plan to the 'all you can eat' data plan.

In fact, I will start another thread here asking for guidance on this net issue. Expect to see a cutnpaste of this in a new thread.

Again, thanks to all for the inputs. This project will go forward when we get resettled.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2020, 09:18:48 AM »
Bino crawls out from under the pool table, oblivious to the stares from the players.

"Toad...? Is that you...?" he croaks. "Debbie! Set up a round of that... whatever... glycol somethingorother... that he drinks!"

I think you are confusing me with the other Toad. In AirWarrior I was ToadPS. That other Toad jumped to WarBirds first and took the Toad handle. I jumped to AH before he did and got my handle here.

He was the guy writing the vignettes that included glycol.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2020, 08:59:03 AM »
Ah, roger that. Welcome back!  :salute

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2020, 09:14:29 AM »
I think you are confusing me with the other Toad. In AirWarrior I was ToadPS. That other Toad jumped to WarBirds first and took the Toad handle. I jumped to AH before he did and got my handle here.

He was the guy writing the vignettes that included glycol.

My daughter is a Herpetologist  at the Houston Zoo. Awhile back I asked her if a frog is being pulled by another frog, is it a towed toad.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2020, 09:20:36 AM »
DSL can be OK for AH. It isn't broadband so big downloads take a while and it isn't good for HD streaming but if the ping is less than 300 and it doesn't drop packets it should be good for game play. I'd be asking the neighbors for details about why they aren't happy with the DSL. A tracert to one of the AH servers from a neighbor with DSL would tell you if it's viable.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 02:33:07 PM »
DSL can be OK for AH. It isn't broadband so big downloads take a while and it isn't good for HD streaming but if the ping is less than 300 and it doesn't drop packets it should be good for game play. I'd be asking the neighbors for details about why they aren't happy with the DSL. A tracert to one of the AH servers from a neighbor with DSL would tell you if it's viable.

Oh, thnx for rubbing it in FLS... lol
I'm still waiting on fiber
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 06:56:49 PM »
If you're on a budget I suggest you overclock your current CPU, and replace the stock cooler with a beefed-up air-cooler.

https://techgage.com/article/overclocking_intels_core_i5-750_i7-870/3/

I normally go for a stock power setting when OC'ing , and follow the instructions others have made, ie moderate overclocking to keep things cool and long-lived.

I still run an overclocked I5 - moderately overclocked i5 (3.40 OC'ed to 4.0ghz) and put my money on a nvidia1080 card 3 years ago.

Put as much money as you can afford on a Nvidia GPU, they are not so powerhungry compared.
It all depends on what framerate and resolution you have/want to have, and how much you want to tune up the graphic settings in AH and elsewhere.

I always use vertical sync on in 3d settings to keep the graphics card cool.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera