NUTTZ

[This message has been edited by NUTTZ (edited 02-20-2001).]

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
MAPS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2001, 07:15:00 PM »
Pretty nice.  

The clipboard map has no other meaning than to help navigation.  Also the "terrain size" in the TE (64x64, 128x128, 256x256 or 512x512) only affects the clipboard map elements: radar sectors/bars and the field symbols.

So if you're making a terrain with mapmaker, it is good to take a screenshot of the terrain, it makes a handy clipboard map.    The terrain made with the mapmaker is always 512x512, atleast I haven't managed to get any other size to work.  So if you're making a smaller map than 512x512, you're going to have to resize the screenshot you took from the mapmaker, or then use the mapmaker to make the clipboard map.

I did this with my SuomiH2H terrain.  The terrain itself is 512x512, scale 1:2.  After I had made the terrain with mapmaker, I gave the MM new parameters, this time so that the scale was 1:8 (I think... too late here to verify the math  ). Of course centered in the same area.  The screenshot from that area gave a better resolution pic for the 128x128 cliboard map.    

I hope this helps!

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
MAPS
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2001, 07:17:00 PM »
If you're making an imaginary terrain, it might be wiser to do the clipboard map first. Then either use bmp2map to create the terrain or make it manually in the TE, using the clipboard map as the reference model.

Camo
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
MAPS
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2001, 08:46:00 PM »
When I made my first clipboard map for an imaginary terrain, I took screenshots of the terrain then pieced them together. After, that I 'drew' the map over the clipped and pasted map. That was because I didn't know what I was going to make 'until' I made it.

However, If you have an idea of how your terrain will look, I would just make it the way camo stated.

edit: Also, if you use the mapmaker, just make sure you write down the co-ordinates and width you use and you can always go back get a screenshot to modify for the clipboard map as Camo stated as well.

------------------
Sundog
VMF-111 Devildogs
'Criticism is always easier then craftmanship.'

[This message has been edited by Sundog (edited 02-19-2001).]

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
MAPS
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2001, 09:47:00 PM »
Here is a gif of 'picture' you will make for the Clipboard Map:

The Picture you make will be 512 x 512. Then, based on what terrain size you used (64x64, 128x128, 256x256, 512x512) You grab the appropriate grid file from the TE folder and place it over your map and play with transparency/color, until it suits you (Or you can just draw over the grid and create original gridwork in whatever program you use). Once you have the image you want for your map, just slice it into 256x256 pieces and name them as shown above. Once you have the four map bitmaps saved to your terrain folder, just go in the TE and 'Voila!' you have a map!

I think you know how to do what's in this post Nuttz, but I just posted this part for others who might come here looking for the same info as you and then some. I think what I was looking for to say in the previous post Nuttz, is take pictures and 'Cut & Paste' then draw over your cut paste to get your map. Perhaps in the future, HTC can make it so you can extract a grayscale bitmap based on the terrain data-file (Or perhaps Wabbit knows how to do that since he made the program that does the opposite of that).