Author Topic: DeHavilland Beaver  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
DeHavilland Beaver
« on: April 01, 2020, 01:53:36 AM »
I'm thinking about crossing over to powered flight. I really, really like the idea of owning one of the DHC-2's because of their solid reliability, but of course of I go that route I would have to upgrade it to modern electronics. I have not researched it yet, but from what I hear Harrison Ford had one upgraded to glass? I've been wanting to do this since high school! A floatplane with a G1000 setup?

Anyone have experience with that? Gawd, the hunting and fishing you could do with one of those! Anyone have anything in mind to be concerned about?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
Re: DeHavilland Beaver
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 11:18:27 AM »
I work for an avionics company here in Central Florida. One of the largest in the country.

You won't be able to go with a G1000 system. They are really going to be found in new aircraft as they are built onto the Type Certificate of the aircraft. The aircraft where you can upgrade to a G1000 system are going to be the Beech King Air 200 and 300 series aircraft. Upgrade like that would be in the range of $250k and above.

The best option is going to be a G500 TXi EFIS system from Garmin. Great capability with this system and our shop has done quite a large number of upgrades. We are currently finishing a Piper 6X and rolling into a Partenavia P68 Observer and Twin Commander 500. You can add Synthetic Vision, engine monitoring and pair with GTN 650/750Xi GPS/Nav/Coms. Display of ADS-B traffic and weather is available as well.

Typical full panel installation is going to set you back $85k and above.

This recent Cessna 414 Upgrade was in the $165k ballpark.
Garmin G500 TXi EFIS
Garmin GTN750 GPS/Nav/Com (Dual)
Garmin GMA 35c Audio Panel
Garmin GTX 345 Remote Transponder
Garmin GTS 800 Active Traffic System
Garmin GFC 600 Autopilot
JP Instruments EDM-960 Engine Monitor
New pilot, center and co-pilot panels

If you ever get something and are interested in an upgrade, let me know.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 11:31:55 AM »
Thanks for the reply! I have to get checked out on floats first.

How long does an upgrade like that take to complete?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 11:42:55 AM »

Probably looking about 2 months. Pretty big upgrade and usually runs in the 3-400 hour range.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »

I haven't flown floats since I was a kid but the Beaver might be a bit much for a new float pilot. Do you have any radial engine time?
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 12:41:19 PM »
Are you thinking of a Turbo DHC-2? I've flown in that. Nice upgraded bird.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 12:43:12 PM »
Also, I've flown in a Murphy Moose on floats too. That's a sweet birb.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 01:39:39 PM »
I haven't flown floats since I was a kid but the Beaver might be a bit much for a new float pilot. Do you have any radial engine time?

No. I do like a challenge though! I think I'll have plenty of practice by the time I get it home. What would you recommend? Maybe a Goose, or Otter?

Offline TyFoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 02:45:50 PM »
I'm thinking about crossing over to powered flight. I really, really like the idea of owning one of the DHC-2's because of their solid reliability, but of course of I go that route I would have to upgrade it to modern electronics. I have not researched it yet, but from what I hear Harrison Ford had one upgraded to glass? I've been wanting to do this since high school! A floatplane with a G1000 setup?

Anyone have experience with that? Gawd, the hunting and fishing you could do with one of those! Anyone have anything in mind to be concerned about?

When you say crossing over to Powered flight, do you mean getting your Private Pilot license?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 02:51:56 PM »
When you say crossing over to Powered flight, do you mean getting your Private Pilot license?

I just took it as he is tired of falling off the roof.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 03:06:14 PM »
They're pricey.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 03:36:24 PM »

Crossing over from soaring.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 04:31:11 PM »
No. I do like a challenge though! I think I'll have plenty of practice by the time I get it home. What would you recommend? Maybe a Goose, or Otter?

For ease of flying and a hell of a lot lower maintenance cost, I would look at a Cessna 185.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 04:42:20 PM »
For ease of flying and a hell of a lot lower maintenance cost, I would look at a Cessna 185.

...or a well kept Cessna 152. As your first birb. Easy to fly and maintain. If you fly it enough and want to go further/longer, then look at bigger planes. If I decide to go back to flying, it's a progression - you don't hop into a Formula 1 car because you can buy a $10M car. You get a Mustang or a Corvette just to try them out.

ALSO - in my neighbourhood, pilots will co-share an aircraft to offset cost of ownership OR to just ensure the airplane is flown...they don't deal well sitting for long periods of time. I was offered a 3-way share on a Mooney from a bud at my legion, real cheap (like $1500). They're out there.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:44:53 PM by Mister Fork »

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 05:46:33 PM »
Crossing over from soaring.

Then it'll be quite some time before you're ready to handle a large taildragger like a C185 or a Beaver.

Nothing against the C152 suggested above, but I would recommend doing as much conversion as possible on a small taildragger like a C170 or a Citabria. Teaches you what a rudder is for and will make you a better pilot overall.