Author Topic: COVID-19 (No Politics or Economics Please)  (Read 5220 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: COVID-19 (No Politics or Economics Please)
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2020, 06:32:54 PM »
my wife doesn't even cook or clean but she's great at everything else.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2020, 08:03:07 PM »
It will be hard to find many articles where front line Doctors are interviewed about the results on the ground of using the antimalarial drugs. So read this one first, then attack it's source. The Jewish New York Doctors interviewed were doing what they could to save their patients lives just like if we were at war. The MSM is doing what it can to terrify you about a well known drug used to treat malaria and a number of other illnesses that effect people world wide. I can only imagine why they want to sow such discord about something that so far has saved lives.

One point that the Doctors seem in agreement with, treating sooner during your case of COVID-19 works better than later. But, they are finding it works for their patients and saving their lives is paramount.

https://www.breitbart.com/health/2020/04/01/battlefield-medicine-ny-nj-doctors-patients-see-anecdotal-evidence-hydroxychloroquine-benefits-fighting-coronavirus/

I'm only speculating but, back in October until Trump locked us down for travel between China. CA had chinese passing through here and points elsewhere in the USA. And now today with a much larger population than NY. We have only had 212 die of COVID-19 while O'l Gavin only locked the state down about two weeks ago. We have had a FLU season since about Oct\Nov with people getting sick all over with some saying it was a weird flu. No hoards of dead homeless in the camps in LA and around the Bay Area. Gotta wonder if CA got it's herd immunity earlier than the rest of the country. My flu, the last almost seven days has had elements described by the COVID-19 effected right down to what my loogies look like I'm hocking up. In my case, I take cumadin and have to look at every single loogie for blood. All of you have had a flu so bad you hocked up a bit of blood I'm sure and it's normal. In my case, that can lead to other problems due to the cumadin. Makes me not as interested in the sky is falling prognostication everyone is addicted to.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2020, 08:14:18 PM »
food for thought bustr 2 years ago everybody at the legion had the flu, we joked that it was the flu legion.

x mas a year ago, nothing, 99 nothing. not one case that i know about. what happened last 2 years? who knows

btw, I'm just talking about 1 specific post. and we have been closed for 3 1/2 weeks, not 2 weeks.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2020, 09:28:43 PM »
I can only imagine why they want to sow such discord about something that so far has saved lives.

There are a variety of anti-viral drugs being tried.  I have see no conclusive evidence that any one of them is a magic bullet.  An isolated claim unverified by independent researchers is not conclusive evidence.  It's just an isolated claim.  Be careful you are not too eager to grasp at any straw because you want to believe.

I assure you, if a drug or protocol of drugs proves to be effective and safe you will see it spread in use quickly.  They've been trying all kinds of different drugs in the more dire cases.
 Doctors all over the country are working desperately to save lives.  When they find something that really helps, it will not be difficult to replicate the results elsewhere and prove it independently.  There is no conspiracy, just insufficient evidence yet. 

They will find something sooner or later, or a cocktail of things like for AIDS. Maybe this malaria drug is part of that solution.  It's being looked at.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2020, 11:36:26 PM »
In the mean time... of the one million cases, how many still have it and how many are cured? No one ever actually has anything accurate, not even close.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2020, 04:11:17 AM »
Just remember that every year you get the common flu.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2020, 07:04:06 AM »
The good ole election year virus. Happens every time.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2020, 08:19:33 AM »
The evidence for using various anti viral drugs against COVID-19 is very weak atm. A bunch of studies are underway but its not going to change the game anytime soon. So im with CptTrips on this one.
Vaccine is not coming soon either, while its possible to fast track it a bit you cannot cut the testing, if you are going to give it to more or less the entire human population you must know the side effects of it. You cannot chance. And on top of that you need to produce the vaccine in a few billion doses. So a year would be an amazing achievement.

And no - this is not like the flu, mild in this case means more or less "you dont end up in the ventilator". A lot of "mild" cases are like a severe pneumonia and its not very pleasant at all. If you are 70+ and/or have a heart condition, diabetes etc you should really take this serious. Both because it can kill you and because there might not be anyone that can help you. There is no reason to panic but it must be taken seriously.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2020, 08:45:18 AM »
I am not taking any chances with the stuff going on. I did get tested and came up negative just today which I am happy but I will not take any chances at all and I also got a mask on its way to me so I can play safe.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2020, 09:13:28 AM »
I am not taking any chances with the stuff going on. I did get tested and came up negative just today which I am happy but I will not take any chances at all and I also got a mask on its way to me so I can play safe.

How did you get tested?

I've been sick since 3/16 with everything from upper respiratory/ sinus infection to bronchitis

And i don't get sick

I am 61 in 2 weeks and cannot get tested as I  have not had a high  fever... yet

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2020, 09:28:46 AM »
I'm not sure I buy that. 

Testing is vital to lower the R0.  R0 is not an intrinsic number, it is a result of cultural practices and mitigation strategies.  It can be altered.  The less people who get the disease (or even just delaying it as long as possible) will save lives.  Especially since we know there are asymptomatic super-spreaders who do not even know they are infectious.  Testing allows you to identify spreaders and get them isolated to reduce the R0.

Simple nomenclature correction. R is the reproduction rate. R0 is a viruses reproduction rate with no intervention. R0 never changes unless a virus changes. Isolation lowers R not R0.

Also I am always wondering why people don't take the other side of the equation.  I.E. 2 balancing issues economy vs virus.

But given that you have the ability to support X number people needing medical care. And if your current bed usage is only predicted to be 50 % of beds. Should you wish to increase the infection rate to minimize economic damage?

It apoears to me that if your only goal is to  slow the virus as much as possible, you are over looking that increasing in over all damage.
VS only wishing to slow the virus enough to not over whelm the system.

HiTech

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2020, 09:31:26 AM »
How did you get tested?

I've been sick since 3/16 with everything from upper respiratory/ sinus infection to bronchitis

And i don't get sick

I am 61 in 2 weeks and cannot get tested as I  have not had a high  fever... yet

<S>

Eagler

I went to my family doctor and she was given tests by the state which are the ones where they put it through your nose. A drive thru test as you might say and it was confirmed I am negative.
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2020, 09:40:42 AM »
I am 61. I keep going to the shop. We have our meetings... in the shop spread out, and we wash our hands like always. The only additional practice is distance.

You can't ignore it or ignore others around you. Of course you should never ignore those around you at any time for safety reasons.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2020, 10:08:49 AM »
Just remember that every year you get the common flu.

A strain of flu virus circulates every year but in 65 years I've only had flu twice.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2020, 10:37:29 AM »
The evidence for using various anti viral drugs against COVID-19 is very weak atm...

In the news:

The malaria drug hydroxychloroquine is the best coronavirus drug currently available, according to an international poll of thousands of doctors.

Of 6,200 physicians surveyed from 30 countries, the majority (37 per cent) said it was the 'most effective therapy' for the virus.

And this again.

Re HCQ/AZ:

The French doctor has continued to update his results, and they are now based on a thousand patients. Other studies are also underway, and scientists including Fauci have cautioned that the Raoult study is not being done according to the most rigorous standards. But if you want hope along with your clickbait stories of people dying from fish tank cleaner, you could report it: as of Sunday March 29, the French study reported that of 1,003 patients treated with HCQ/AZ, only one had died.