Author Topic: COVID-19 (No Politics or Economics Please)  (Read 5264 times)

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
Re: COVID-19 (No Politics or Economics Please)
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2020, 10:44:58 AM »
Simple nomenclature correction. R is the reproduction rate. R0 is a viruses reproduction rate with no intervention. R0 never changes unless a virus changes. Isolation lowers R not R0.

If you google for "Complexity of the Basic Reproduction Number (R ) - CDC" then there is a link to pdf document where it is said that:

Any  factor  having  the  potential to influence the contact rate, including population density (e.g., rural vs. urban), social organization (e.g., in-tegrated vs. segregated), and seasonality (e.g., wet vs. rainy season  for  vectorborne  infections),  will  ultimately  affect R0.  Because  R0 is a function of the effective contact rate, the value of R0 is a function of human social behavior and organization, as well as the innate biological characteristics of particular pathogens. More than 20 different R0  values  (range  5.4–18)  were  reported  for  measles  in  a  variety  of  study  areas  and  periods  (22),  and  a  review  in  2017  iden-tified feasible measles R0  values  of  3.7–203.3  (23)

So isolation and any other measure not creating immunity does seem to change R0.

Also:

When  examining  the effect of vaccination, the more appropriate metric to use is the effective reproduction number (R), which is similar to R0 but does not assume complete susceptibility of the pop-ulation  and,  therefore,  can  be  estimated  with  populations  having  immune  members  (16,20,27).
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2020, 10:49:05 AM »

In the news:

The malaria drug hydroxychloroquine is the best coronavirus drug currently available, according to an international poll of thousands of doctors.
I assume soon not to be available anywhere as anyone with access to it will buy all of it so nobody else could use it.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2020, 10:52:47 AM »
Asterix I think that's just showing the definition of intervention as used by the CDC is not the same as general usage. Those factors make a difference but they aren't medical interventions.

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2020, 11:07:19 AM »
Just remember that every year you get the common flu.
I am 42 years old and have never had the Flu. If you get the flu every year you need to stop licking the cart handles @ Wal-Mart
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2020, 11:08:14 AM »
Asterix I think that's just showing the definition of intervention as used by the CDC is not the same as general usage. Those factors make a difference but they aren't medical interventions.
From https://www.healthline.com/health/r-nought-reproduction-number#calculation:

The following factors are taken into account to calculate the R0 of a disease:
Infectious period
Contact rate
Mode of transmission

Contact rate

If a person who’s infected with a contagious disease comes into contact with many people who aren’t infected or vaccinated, the disease will spread more quickly. If that person remains at home, in a hospital, or otherwise quarantined while they’re contagious, the disease will spread more slowly. A high contact rate will contribute to a higher R0 value.

General usage is usage by who? Hospital staff? Virologists?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2020, 11:15:04 AM »
I went to my family doctor and she was given tests by the state which are the ones where they put it through your nose. A drive thru test as you might say and it was confirmed I am negative.

So you had a temperature of over 100 for longer than 24 hrs?

Glad you say you dont have it but you are the first regular joe i have heard that got tested

Also remember you can still get it in a ny minute if you are careless

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2020, 11:33:43 AM »
This goes back to my earlier post.... over one million cases, but not one million have it. Many are over it. We have no idea as numbers are all askew.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline LNG15

• Copper Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2020, 11:43:48 AM »
So you had a temperature of over 100 for longer than 24 hrs?

Glad you say you dont have it but you are the first regular joe i have heard that got tested

Also remember you can still get it in a ny minute if you are careless

<S>

Eagler

No I never had it in the first place.

My uncle went to the hospital and we were worried that he may of had it but it turned it to not be the case. He has sepsis due to a UTI getting into his blood stream and he was dehydrated due to not drinking enough water. He is on Antibiotics to help with the sepsis and he is on fluids to help hydrate him. He is negative as well. My mom wanted to get the test done to make sure we didnt have it. And so she my brother got our tests done on the 1st and got our results back today confirmed that we are negative. And I am careful as well. I wash my hands regularly at work and at home. I have been playing it safe.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 11:46:01 AM by LNG15 »
Be Prepared To "Get Lanced!"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2020, 12:04:33 PM »
Some people including the OP cant seem to refrain from name calling so once again closed. And I really have no desire to have to delete large number of posts in this topic.

HiTech