Author Topic: Covid 19 Prevention discussion ONLY  (Read 23405 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Covid 19 Prevention discussion ONLY
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2020, 03:01:53 PM »
Honestly, I suspect a researcher screwed up and had a Lab boo boo and carried one of the less lethal chimera versions home with him.

If it came from that lab, which is not out of the realm of possibility, I would suspect that is bar far the likely answer.

I see nothing that that looks to me an intentional act.  It just would make any sense.  Their economy has taken a massive hit.  A failed economy have even more dire consequences for their leaders than it does for ours.  They don't want to look like a late Soviet economic failure.  Look what happened to them.

Never ascribe to evil plots what can simply be explain by good old fashion fkup.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2020, 03:17:38 PM »
Never ascribe to evil plots what can simply be explain by good old fashion fkup.

My first marriage was a fkup on my part but I'm still fairly certain it was an evil plot on hers.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2020, 03:26:19 PM »
I was not talking about herd immunity in the correct sense, but taking into account the measures already in place. The Rt, the effective reproductive correlates to the percentage of immune people. If the R0 is already 1 the Rt would drop to 0.85 if 15 % are immune. The immunity already in place would help a lot in getting to <1. Would quaranteening areas inside a city help in fighting this, and would it even be politically possible? If yes, then acting now could save tens of thousands of lives. With no measures and unlimited medical resources, there would be about 70,000 deaths in NY before herd immunity. With the existing resources maybe 100,000.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:52:36 PM by mora »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2020, 03:57:55 PM »
I was not talking about herd immunity in the correct sense, but taking into account the measures already in place. The Rt, the effective reproductive correlates to the percentage of immune people. If the R0 is already 1 the Rt would drop to 0.85 if 15 % are immune. The immunity already in place would help a lot in getting to <1. Would quaranteening areas inside a city help in fighting this, and would it even be politically possible?

Have you ever seen the videos of the Chinese police welding people's apartment door shut?  We could try that.   :noid

I'm not sure about the R numbers.  There seems to be different definitions. Quarantining helps.  But we've probably gotten near all the help out of it that we are going to.  It would get worse quickly if we try and lift I suspect.

We're making progress on therapeutics, but I don't know how large an effect we can have in the short term.

Even if we somehow maintained quarantine (which we won't), I'm afraid we still have a lot of deaths to come because of the number that are already sick and progressing toward an outcome.  For the last month I've been watching the US deaths vs Recovered.  That ratio has not improved.  We have 600k people already sick.  If the current ratio holds, you would expect a significant percentage of those 600k finally resolving into the fatality column.

Unless we really pull out a miracle on the treatment side in the next 3-4 weeks.  Anything is possible.  But they better hurry.

A vaccine of course is probably still a year off from actual deployment.

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2020, 04:15:09 PM »
I have yet to ever hear of anyone immune to the flu.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2020, 05:35:29 PM »
https://www.sciencealert.com/why-herd-immunity-will-not-save-us-from-the-covid-19-pandemic

:salute

This gentleman did an opinion write in for science alert. Here is his back ground which I suspect he only has an opinion this early in his short Medical career.

Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz

Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz is an epidemiologist working in chronic disease in Sydney's west, with a particular focus on diabetes. He writes a weekly blog on public health, policy, and science communication-particularly where these things go wrong. He has recently begun a PhD with the University of Wollongong researching the social determinants of diabetes, and is passionate about the social causes of our ill health.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: April 14, 2020, 06:24:24 PM »
Also for the biological weapon conspiracy theorists, most are following work by a Prof. Francis Boyle. I'm including part of a video where he asserts he found the bio weapon smoking gun. He has not ever referenced the 2017 paper I linked about the Wuhan 2011-2015 study of the origins of SARS-CoV carrying bats in China. And the NIH provided $3.7m for that study because the USA wanted info on SARS since it was so deadly. Boyle also didn't reference the 2005 SARS research about the efficacy of Chloroquine stopping SARS using the ACE2 vector to infect cells.

In the Chinese published 2011-2015 study the Chinese showed how they did genetic recombination to the SARS-CoV strains that they found in Yunne. What Prof. Boyle called weaponizing is standard practice to study virus and test them. Ft Detrick try's to have samples of every deadly disease possible for research purposes while the Lab in N.C. is Federally funded to do infectious disease study just like Berkeley hosts the federally funded Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory for Physics and energy research.

By the way this professor has gotten himself banned from serious scientific communities in the USA and EU because of his conspiracy theories. I don't know if Hitech has blocked embedding or Youtube has blocked this guy's videos. Here is the link. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaFRQN09x7M   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #174 on: April 14, 2020, 06:33:01 PM »
It has to be a man-made bio weapon.  What motive would nature have for wanting to kill us off, especially in highly densely, populated tributes to human triumph.   :headscratch:
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #175 on: April 14, 2020, 06:55:50 PM »
I have yet to ever hear of anyone immune to the flu.

Not sure where you live but where I am they offer flu shots every autumn for the "flu strain of the year". The shots might not make everyone immune but they sure as hell keep the vast majority from getting sick.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #176 on: April 14, 2020, 07:04:04 PM »
What motive would nature have for wanting to kill us off, especially in highly densely, populated tributes to human triumph.   :headscratch:

All weaponized by man?

https://www.livescience.com/worst-epidemics-and-pandemics-in-history.html

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #177 on: April 14, 2020, 08:42:51 PM »
Must of missed the sarcasm.  Glad I gave you a project to do though.
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #178 on: April 14, 2020, 08:54:09 PM »
Must of missed the sarcasm.  Glad I gave you a project to do though.

Gave it to myself. But if you wanna feel important .... ;)

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #179 on: April 14, 2020, 09:12:14 PM »
Gave it to myself.

I'm sure you do..
  -Richard O'Kane