Author Topic: R/C Typhoon  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: R/C Typhoon
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 06:14:07 AM »
Almost makes me want to go back to my r/c building. Nice detail.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 03:45:18 PM »
Incredible work from your brother, lot of work building those and I have a lot of respect for guys that still build that way.
I've built a few but really enjoy finishing them. Not trying to hijack your thread, just hope you don't mind if I share a couple pics of my recently finished P51D. Fiberglassed it then covered in aluminum panels. Did a lot of CAD and 3D printing for exhaust, radio box behind pilot, armored seat back, antenna, pitot tube, etc...

H9 P-51D-2 - Copy by Orion Aerials, on Flickr

H9 P-51D-1-3 - Copy by Orion Aerials, on Flickr
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 04:43:17 PM »
Damn... she looks nice.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 09:13:05 PM »
Very nice Elvis.  :aok

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 07:50:48 AM »
Fantastic work on the P-51D Elvis, the metal skinning looks really good and those 3D printed accessories finish it off nicely.

David was planning to add a load of detail to his model including a full set of rockets and rails under the wings. Unfortunately weight is currently an issue so he may not be able to add the rockets. For competition the model has to be under 33 lbs and it is looking marginal as to whether it will make this if a lot of nose weight has to be added. So he is looking at saving some weight here and there by making the gear doors in carbon rather than aluminium, making his own tyres in lightweight foam, 3D printing the wheels in a tough plastic and so on. Unfortunately most of this saving is on or ahead of the C of G but any weight saved will still allow more ballast be added right at the front of the model if its needed. It may also end up painted in an RCAF scheme. Their Typhoons used bombs rather than rockets and bomb racks will add very little weight.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2020, 12:49:37 PM »
Just an update on my brother David's Typhoon project.

The cowl has now been moulded and fitted. The exhausts stacks fitted to its sides are hollow and the rad exhaust flap opens and is servo controlled, both features are to help cool the engine. He has fitted the retractable main and tail gear together with their doors, wheels and tyres and got it all working. Finally he's added the guns as well as the various fairings between the wings, tail and fuselage.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 01:50:54 PM »
He must be an incredible engineer in real life. Does he take part in restoration projects or building experimental kits for human flight? Looks like he would be a natural at it.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 07:04:59 AM »
David's not an engineer, he and I ran a model shop until recently. The modelling skills came from our father Mick who was World Scale Champion in 1971 and who also built R/C models for many films including The Battle of Britain. David did once own a part share in a real vintage wooden glider called a Skylark and spent a while restoring that so he could fly it.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 08:40:02 AM »
Incredible work, and coming along nicely   :aok
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2021, 07:35:25 AM »
Thought I'd just post an update to this thread as my brother David's has done a fair bit more on his R/C Typhoon. The surface detail; raised and flush rivets, hatches and panel lines are all done, the primer has been applied and it is almost ready for paint. There's still the internal cockpit detail to do, as well as the radiator and internal cowl ducting, bomb racks and various other little jobs.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2021, 08:29:08 AM »
Impressive detail!  :aok

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 08:58:36 AM »
Looks really good Greebo  :aok
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 08:05:36 AM »
Greebo, I have been flying RC since 1981. Your brothers work is by far the best I have seen. I have gone to composite molds to try to achieve what your brother has on top of balsa then glass.

I know there are a few companies that build gearboxes for some of the larger engines. Do you know if that prop is a scale attachment for display, or a geared prop for flight?

Again, just wow..
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2021, 08:19:04 AM »
The four-bladed propeller is just for scale judging, the competition rules allow a swap to a suitable model prop for flying purposes. I think even if geared down the engine would struggle to use that huge prop and the torque effect would be horrible (mind you, it was on the real plane too). David's in the middle of painting the camo scheme at the moment, I'll post some more photos when he's got it back together.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2021, 07:42:45 AM »
The four-bladed propeller is just for scale judging, the competition rules allow a swap to a suitable model prop for flying purposes. I think even if geared down the engine would struggle to use that huge prop and the torque effect would be horrible (mind you, it was on the real plane too). David's in the middle of painting the camo scheme at the moment, I'll post some more photos when he's got it back together.

https://youtu.be/FbJvZLHx7-M

That is what I thought too until I saw this a few years back.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum