Author Topic: 3 Hour Side Switch Timer  (Read 13030 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: 3 Hour Side Switch Timer
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2020, 05:21:27 PM »
The MA is different and not designed for quick combat.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2020, 06:51:17 PM »
Instead of advertising on fox...

My idea is to put up a booth at an airshow and get some kids playing in some sort of dueling arena with an announcer and put it up on big screens outside like E-sports.

Could add some drama to it. Announce that AKAK or Shuffler with over a meeelion hours in the P-38 will take all challengers at once and that anybody who beats him will get a shiny new one month subscript to the greatest Air-sports game in the world!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2020, 11:52:26 PM »
Instead of advertising on fox...

My idea is to put up a booth at an airshow and get some kids playing in some sort of dueling arena with an announcer and put it up on big screens outside like E-sports.

Could add some drama to it. Announce that AKAK or Shuffler with over a meeelion hours in the P-38 will take all challengers at once and that anybody who beats him will get a shiny new one month subscript to the greatest Air-sports game in the world!

There's a big difference between 3M people seeing it on their couch near the computer than 300 people seeing it at an air show and forgetting about it before they get home.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: June 08, 2020, 12:36:54 AM »
There's a big difference between 3M people seeing it on their couch near the computer than 300 people seeing it at an air show and forgetting about it before they get home.

Yes. Maybe $10,000 a pop difference.

How many times per day do you want to play that ad?

For how many days?

How many $15/month subscriptions (that probably won't renew past 3 months) would you get for that?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #139 on: June 08, 2020, 07:23:31 AM »
Why is this thread evolving into a thread about numbers and advertising. I do understand those are important topics as well. But this thread is about a thing that would help out many players right now.

A 3 hour switch timer (or less).
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #140 on: June 08, 2020, 07:25:23 AM »
Deja Vu all over again. This discussion has been had before. Running ads is expensive. Booths at airshows less so but still an expense. I made AH tees and gave them away at one airshow. Granted, we had no DTG (direct to garment) product. I was geared up to produce tees, cups, mouse pads, etc. but I wouldn't do it if the skinner community wasn't 100% behind it. No time for that now. :)

It was a fun project. Took up a lot of my time. Don't regret it for a second.  :)

Oh, 3 hour switch timer? Why not. ShruG.  :aok

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2020, 09:15:07 AM »
Why is this thread evolving into a thread about numbers and advertising. I do understand those are important topics as well. But this thread is about a thing that would help out many players right now.

A 3 hour switch timer (or less).

Is there anything that has still not been said about it?

Fire away.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2020, 03:25:05 PM »
Air show booth is far more expensive per conversion then TV advertising. You just can't get enough people threw a booth. I have also tried wind shield fliers , show magazine adds, and bill boards in front of airshows.

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2020, 03:47:48 PM »
Air show booth is far more expensive per conversion then TV advertising. You just can't get enough people threw a booth. I have also tried wind shield fliers , show magazine adds, and bill boards in front of airshows.

HiTech

Have you considered constructing a time machine and taking us all back to 2004?

Maybe you should contact this guy:

:noid

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2020, 05:06:14 PM »
The MA is different and not designed for quick combat.

After 18 years and 4 terrains with this game, I think I have a handle on it.

Sooner was the test I worked on over those 4 terrains. The sooner I could make time to combat the more activity took place. So I'll go with the sooner group of customers and what helped them create activity sooner than later.

As for 3 hours, 3 or 6 hours will be the same based on how much time you have to invest to get to fights even with 18 mile base distances. Older terrains from AH2 are mind numbing 25 mile snore fests. If you want a side switch time to impact outcomes for impatient players then 1 hour. I don't think spyz or outing CV locations matters anymore with Hitech's changes to DAR. GVers might as well post on 200 their location these days with GVDAR. Seems even DAR is aimed at the sooner crowd of customers.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2020, 05:17:37 PM »
Seems even DAR is aimed at the sooner crowd of customers.

Damned okies.  :D

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
Sooner sounded better than quicker.

If the MA were a PvP game where we stuck a gun in each others face, instant action would be possible. I've noticed in other games where aircraft are not spawned at the same time for a match, the spawns are protected places. But, time to combat is very short.

Sooner will help the MA combat experience since seat of the pants is the ultimate experience in AH. Not wearing out the seat of the pants getting to the fight. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2020, 05:55:50 PM »
HT designs the time into the game by rules you have to go by building terrains.

I imagine most folks will not fly straight to a base if they are much closer. I see many now turning away to climb.

Even some in another thread discussing a furball arena want air spawns. Go figure.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2020, 06:10:37 PM »
HT was kindly flexible on 99% of what I did with terrains over the 4 I created. The last one fjordma, 98% of the airfields are 18 miles apart. The goal was sooner, and people liked the sooner. Even the sooner I added in to the GV game along with the drastic lesser amount of trees was liked.

"Sooner" is what the customers liked from my experiments with AH3 terrains. "Later" no longer keeps them in the game like it did around 2006. "Now" there are too many sooner options aside from AH.

Why don't you try your hand at something to see if you can crack this nut? My experiments showed sooner is one key to cracking it. Maybe you can find another to help widen the cracks. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #149 on: June 08, 2020, 06:42:36 PM »
To me, it still seems there are basic elements to map design for which I may draw out on paper but lack the time/pc processing power to physically create. (Thankfully, others design along these seemingly obvious paths, already.)

'Sooner' would appeal to furballers that rely on constant return/re-entry to an ongoing fight. Non-perk planes are essentially free and the basic 'tactic' of flinging one's self into the fray and wringing out the plane - rinse/repeat applies in this case.

However, 'sooner' would also appeal to those that want to roll a map during low numbers without all that much opposition. This would appeal to flyers and rollers alike.

'Longer' appeals to strat bombers that want to climb to higher altitudes where fighter interceptors struggle more to set up for effective passes at them. That also lends itself to strat targets being placed well to the rear lines. It also gives players that want to intercept said strat bombers time to climb and meet them. Strategic bombing doesn't have as great an impact on map winning as it appears to have had in real life (even with dropping opposing HQs) and seems as much a matter of individual point collecting/experience as furballing does for furballers - only not as rapid a launch/die/relaunch factor.

Two types of players preferring two elements in maps (in spite of the current numbers populating the arena).

For me, as long as the bases are laid out to promote constant action then it doesn't matter a whit how big the maps is. Unless you are a strat bomber type, that is. Then you may as well make them big and just make sure that the moving fronts on all sides will still provide action.