Author Topic: New, and of course, weird development  (Read 681 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
New, and of course, weird development
« on: February 22, 2023, 08:17:49 PM »
This past Saturday, while playing in Track IR, everything worked normally.  The next day, on Track IR again, the game dumped to desktop when I transmitted on channel via my stick.  Logged back in and dumped to desktop when transmitting on range.  There was a bit of metallic static the first time it happened but, not on following attempts.  So, logged back in again and tried transmitting on range with the same stick button (opposite direction), and was dumped to the desktop.

My first thought was the switch on the stick was going bad.  Logged back in and pressed keyboard  “T” to transmit on channel.  Dumped to desktop.  Logged back in and pressed keyboard “F12” to transmit on range.  Dumped to desktop again. 

Next, I switched to the VR headset and used the same stick switch to transmit on channel and range.  Both worked normally.  So, that tells me the stick switch is not the issue. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:32:31 PM by Puma44 »

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: New, and of course, weird development
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 01:21:49 AM »
When was the last time you've properly rebooted your computer? Either by pressing Shift while clicking Shut Down, or just Restarting Windows?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 08:37:44 AM »
When was the last time you've properly rebooted your computer? Either by pressing Shift while clicking Shut Down, or just Restarting Windows?

Been trying to get in the habit of the shift/shutdown method, a month or so since I’ve remembered to do it.  I have, and did use the normal “restart” during my trouble shooting but have not heard of restarting windows.  Are we referencing the same thing?  Just googled how to restart windows, and will do so today. How would this affect my problem?

Thanks for the reply!  :aok
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 08:48:12 AM by Puma44 »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 08:50:46 AM »
My first suspicion is double mapping of a key, which can lead to weird stuff.  But I've never seen it cause a crash to desktop.

One thing to keep in mind - VR has separate mappings completely.   So if its a key-mapping conflict, it's entirely possible that it does not occur in your VR key assignments, only in your 2D version maps.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 10:43:42 AM »
My first suspicion is double mapping of a key, which can lead to weird stuff.  But I've never seen it cause a crash to desktop.

One thing to keep in mind - VR has separate mappings completely.   So if its a key-mapping conflict, it's entirely possible that it does not occur in your VR key assignments, only in your 2D version maps.

Thanks!  Forgot to mention.  That’s one of the first things I searched for, double mapping, and found none.  There have been a couple of past instances when something double mapped on its own without my semi-expert assistance. 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 10:45:26 AM »
It's the VR gods telling you to stay with them

:cheers:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 11:12:53 AM »
Been trying to get in the habit of the shift/shutdown method, a month or so since I’ve remembered to do it.  I have, and did use the normal “restart” during my trouble shooting but have not heard of restarting windows.  Are we referencing the same thing?  Just googled how to restart windows, and will do so today. How would this affect my problem?

Thanks for the reply!  :aok
Restarting from the Start menu is supposed to do the same as Shift/shutdown, i.e. starting without carrying any saved settings from previous sessions. I'm a bit sceptical about that, though... Shift/shutdown has been proven to work so I prefer to use it despite the giant effort of pressing the button for starting.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 12:26:18 PM »
It appears it may be the simple first thing.  I tried two ON and OFF cycles, one with the right click to access the windows shutdown option, and one with the SHIFT key in combination with a normal shutdown.  After both, I went in game and used the stick switch to transmit on channel.  Both times, it dumped to the desk top.

Then it occurred to me that Saturday, I had set the MSI Afterburner to turn ON with powering the computer up vs turning it ON after signing in and on the desktop, for convenience.  So, after deselecting auto ON and shutting down with SHIFT, I powered the computer up, turned the MSI ON, signed into the game, and transmitted on channel and range.  No dump to desktop after multiple transmissions on channel and range.

Love it when the solution is simple.  Regardless, thanks for the ideas, gents.  Always good to have additional brains working an issue.

Thanks again, gents!   :aok :salute

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2023, 12:39:08 PM »
Glad you got it sorted!  :aok

Usually nothing happens by itself, except corrupted settings. Even those are most likely caused by something else like a sloppily coded game that leaves parts of it running in the background, or a Windows Update that isn't perfectly compatible with just your system. Or, as in your case, a setting that does unexpected things.

Kotisivuni

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 04:04:44 PM »
Thanks!  All part of my rookie computer geek continuing education. :rofl

Offline Harpi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 04:26:18 PM »
Happy to see this ! Pounded the forehead when the same happened to me.
Tx on channel, range and keyboard T crashed the game.
Tried remapping the commands but same effect from any key.
Hoping for fix, soon!
I was in 2d as VR temporarily US... Using Open Composite which may be having the same effect as your MSI Afterburner...
Will disable that and try again.
Skewer
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 04:29:59 PM by Harpi »