Author Topic: VR film footage  (Read 558 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
VR film footage
« on: May 27, 2020, 12:13:11 PM »
Does the POV cockpit view change from VR vs monitor? Would be interested in seeing some VR films if it does.
Thanks

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: VR film footage
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 01:50:19 PM »
Not sure what your asking?

Is it ,does your head move along with rotate? If so yes.

HiTech

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 02:08:23 PM »
I guess what I'm asking is, what will I see with VR vs what I now see on a monitor.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »
Gotta remember in VR you're seeing two images of the same things, slightly out of phase, one eye at a time. The film viewer will capture the game action and head movements of your headset but does it actually capture and play in VR? No I don't think it does. Think it only does 2D.

You could capture VR as VR with other software and make VR video from that. I know that the oculus software contains a program called mirror that can be config to show one or the other eye or both. Only reason for both I'd imagine is to produce an actual VR video. I capture games on mirror with OBS studio but I only use a single eye view to make vids. Wouldn't know how to make an actual VR video although I'm certain it can be done.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 03:49:39 PM »
This vid of Vudu's is VR captured I'm picking ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WwO7tWw1Xk  ) ... I think this is the question you are asking... compared to the snap views of a hat from the cockpit (this https://youtu.be/svapH3gd3PM )

I'm picking out of plane (external ) film capture would look the same as all other film capture
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:51:57 PM by SPKmes »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 05:27:41 PM »
This vid of Vudu's is VR captured I'm picking ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WwO7tWw1Xk  ) ... I think this is the question you are asking... compared to the snap views of a hat from the cockpit (this https://youtu.be/svapH3gd3PM )

I'm picking out of plane (external ) film capture would look the same as all other film capture
Yes that's game video that's showing the head movements of the VR headset but that video isn't in actual VR, it's a regular 2D video. You can see him using the hat switches and it'll capture that too. He's only capturing one eye there. One thing it doesn't look like he's done is to adjust his head position to accommodate the capture. That's why his head position isn't looking straight thru the gunsight. For example, I know when I'm filming I only capture the right eye view, which is slightly offset from the left eye view. To make the vid looks like I'm looking straight I set my head position so that I'm looking thru the gunsight with my right eye. If I were capturing the left eye view I'd adjust my head position accordingly. Just my preference. Capturing both you'd literally have a split screen of each eye view next to each other. But again that's just a video capture. A big difference from an actual VR recording.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 05:59:52 PM »
I guess what I'm asking is, what will I see with VR vs what I now see on a monitor.

The only way to see the VR setup is to try someones VR setup.

VR is awesome. While the resolution is lower with VR the 3D effect more than makes up for it. If we had closing cockpits Id be worried about getting a finger stuck as it closes, it that good. Many have said that their aim has improved with VR due to the depth perception you get.

If you can afford it, make the leap.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 06:57:39 PM »
But the short of it, Max, and it echos what Fugi is saying is that you can't "see" VR on a monitor. You can only get that VR experience thru a VR headset. Before this virus was around you could go to a Best Buy and try them out there. Now ya can't get into the store so that's out! If you know somebody that has one see if they'll let you check it out. It IS way cool.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 07:53:23 PM »

It depends on how you record. If you make an AH film and play it on your monitor it looks the same. We can't watch films in VR.
If you record your monitor with a video app while in VR it does not look as good as recording AH film.