Author Topic: Microprose dusting off the B-17 Mighty Eighth Games  (Read 1503 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: Microprose dusting off the B-17 Mighty Eighth Games
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
Close, but not quite....

I played that until my eyes bled.  It was like a cross between a flight sim and a submarine game.  I had some hellacious nail-bitters extracting my self out of suicide missions after stirring up a hornets nest.  Sneaking away low and slow and managing my cross-section.  It was like a sub trying to slip of of a depth charge attack.   :aok

:salute

(And ironically, doesn't look that much worse than Warbirds 2020.   :noid)

I recall an F-117 game where you had the choice of 3 types of wars: "Cold", <forgot what this one was called so I'ma call it "Medium">, and "Hot".  I truly cannot remember if it was this one or a different one though. :o

I enjoyed the aspect of the "Cold" version, having to be extremely stealthy; getting in, taking those photos, and bugging out; all without being detected. :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 06:55:16 PM »
I recall an F-117 game where you had the choice of 3 types of wars: "Cold", <forgot what this one was called so I'ma call it "Medium">, and "Hot".  I truly cannot remember if it was this one or a different one though. :o

I enjoyed the aspect of the "Cold" version, having to be extremely stealthy; getting in, taking those photos, and bugging out; all without being detected. :)

Yeah, I remember those.  Sweetness. Actually the one I played was the original.  This vid is ver 2. 

What was the map that was really hard?  North Cape or something?

It was on a Tandy with a 5.25" floppy drive and no HD.  3 disks. 

Disk 1: mission briefing and take off. 
Pause.  Swap disks.
Disk 2 the mission.
Pause.  Swap disks.
Disk 3 landing and debrief. 

And I LOVED IT!!!   :rofl

And the manual.  Remember the big thick manual you could take to the with you to the John.  Remember when they used to print stuff on paper?!?!?!

:rofl

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 06:59:20 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 01:29:53 PM »
Anyone remember 50 Mission Crush?
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2020, 03:17:25 PM »
Yeah, I remember those.  Sweetness. Actually the one I played was the original.  This vid is ver 2. 

What was the map that was really hard?  North Cape or something?

It was on a Tandy with a 5.25" floppy drive and no HD.  3 disks. 

Disk 1: mission briefing and take off. 
Pause.  Swap disks.
Disk 2 the mission.
Pause.  Swap disks.
Disk 3 landing and debrief. 

And I LOVED IT!!!   :rofl

And the manual.  Remember the big thick manual you could take to the with you to the John.  Remember when they used to print stuff on paper?!?!?!

:rofl

I honestly do not remember which map I chose, but I recall the difficulty being the highest of the choices.  I do remember that got shot down the first time, since I did go in like I was playing F-15 Strike Eagle II a little, despite needing to be "stealthy".

F-15 SEII I played the hell out of.  And apparently in F-15, the An-72 Coaler had a forward gunner, as at one point I decided to get out in front of one, nice and slow just for the hell of it...and it shot me up!  :eek: 
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2020, 03:40:26 PM »
It was an AN-72P Maritime patrol version. On the right side is a blister just forward of the landing gear bulge with a twin barrel 23mm cannon.

wiki has a good picture if you expand it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-72
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2020, 06:24:22 PM »
It was an AN-72P Maritime patrol version. On the right side is a blister just forward of the landing gear bulge with a twin barrel 23mm cannon.

wiki has a good picture if you expand it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-72

Well it surprised to hell outta me when I was little.  :rofl
HiTech