Author Topic: Hi Res Textures how to download, link broken  (Read 2094 times)

Offline YeetCan9

• Zinc Member
Re: Hi Res Textures how to download, link broken
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 02:56:19 PM »
Clearly there is some setting I have wrong

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 05:55:46 PM »
The roundels you have on the image you posted are sharp as can be! There are some panel lines on the P-51 wing that are aliased, because the skin itself is a raster image. It can be improved slightly by increasing AA and AF in the Nvidia control panel (or whatever ATi/AMD uses), but it will seriously begin to hamper FPS online.

If it's the trees and terrain that you are complaining about then we can go down that rabbit hole, too, but it's not a conversation you are going to enjoy.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »
That's it. Encouragement.  :aok

Offline YeetCan9

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 07:03:02 PM »
The roundels you have on the image you posted are sharp as can be! There are some panel lines on the P-51 wing that are aliased, because the skin itself is a raster image. It can be improved slightly by increasing AA and AF in the Nvidia control panel (or whatever ATi/AMD uses), but it will seriously begin to hamper FPS online.

If it's the trees and terrain that you are complaining about then we can go down that rabbit hole, too, but it's not a conversation you are going to enjoy.
That's a screenshot from the game website appeared different than the results I am getting. My results are in previous posts. It might just be choice of particular skins. I was reading in the pinned Hints and Tips post that something called DPI scaling in Windows 10 may cause a certain amount of blurring, but all that stuff is way above my knowledge.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 07:04:08 PM »
Take a picture of the P-40 with the same skin as the one you posted from the web site.

Offline YeetCan9

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 07:05:21 PM »
Let me clarify, this is not one of my screenshots, it is a screenshot from the game website that appears way sharper than the externals I am getting.

Clearly there is some setting I have wrong
(Image removed from quote.)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 07:25:26 PM »
That's why, for comparison, you should take a screenshot of the same aircraft with the same skin.

You keep posting pictures of older models with older skins so of course they don't look as good.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 07:25:45 PM »
We get it. You want your game to look like that screenshot (resolution-wise).

This is the best I can get mine to look:

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 07:35:07 PM »
The game is 20 years old and has been updated many times. The older models with old skins will not look as good as the newest models with the newest skins.

It's not a download or a settings issue. The main picture quality limit I see with his system is the 1920x1080 monitor but the issue appears to be expectations.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 07:45:31 PM »
YeetCan9 Just post a screenshot, so we can see what you see.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 02:10:16 AM »
The screenshots on the website are taken with every setting maxxed, potentially using some of the bells and whistles which are in the settings mainly for filming purposes like lens glare. All that requires a lot of computing power which is why disabling or reducing them is often recommended for a playable frame rate.

Another thing to consider about the web page screenshot is that they've been chosen from thousands of screenshots. It's like photography: The light is just right, comes from the right angle, there's no disturbing objects in the background... That can happen every day. But once in a lifetime something special appears into that perfect stage, bathing in the light like a goddess unaware of you watching and if you're lucky the lens cap isn't on, the focus is spot on, no cloud sails across to dim the light, no seagull splurts on your lens, no bumble bee flies past just as you snap... Professional photographers can name their best single shots from the hundreds or thousands they've published, and to every published one there's hundreds that haven't been worth publishing. The best AH screenshots are similar, often taken from a filmed session where you can change the viewing angle to catch the fanciest glare.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline YeetCan9

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 02:13:46 AM »
This is correct. I found some skins that were sharper. It seems the sharpness of an external shot depends a lot on what angle you are looking for. Sorry for my confusion.

The screenshots on the website are taken with every setting maxxed, potentially using some of the bells and whistles which are in the settings mainly for filming purposes like lens glare. All that requires a lot of computing power which is why disabling or reducing them is often recommended for a playable frame rate.

Another thing to consider about the web page screenshot is that they've been chosen from thousands of screenshots. It's like photography: The light is just right, comes from the right angle, there's no disturbing objects in the background... That can happen every day. But once in a lifetime something special appears into that perfect stage, bathing in the light like a goddess unaware of you watching and if you're lucky the lens cap isn't on, the focus is spot on, no cloud sails across to dim the light, no seagull splurts on your lens, no bumble bee flies past just as you snap... Professional photographers can name their best single shots from the hundreds or thousands they've published, and to every published one there's hundreds that haven't been worth publishing. The best AH screenshots are similar, often taken from a filmed session where you can change the viewing angle to catch the fanciest glare.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 02:18:11 AM »
You should listen to Bizman. If you don't have the same hardware used in those screenshots, you'll never see the same thing.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001