Author Topic: Hell Frozen Over (Bf 109F)  (Read 398 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Hell Frozen Over (Bf 109F)
« on: June 02, 2020, 12:02:36 AM »
Now I started the skin a couple of weeks ago intending to bake it into the Russian winter terrains, but I decided to use another skin instead as I did not like the first iterations of this scheme. But with the expanded skin roster, I decided to finish it and submit it for the game proper.

This Bf 109F was operated by 9./JG 54 from Siverskaya airfield in Russia during the winter of 1941-42. This aircraft features a worn whitewash with theater marking consistent with planes used from early on in the Barbarossa campaign. What is unusual is the larger than normal devil's head emblem being painted without a shield around it.

Most artwork depicting this plane have the upper cowling in yellow with the whitewash over it and I originally attempted to do the same with this skin, but I was not satisfied with the resulting look. The whitewash only served to make the yellow cowling look lighter and brighter than the other yellow markings. Further analysis of the reference photo reveals no obvious yellow under the whitewash, with it's appearance being similar enough to the rest of the fuselage to make those artwork depictions questionable. I elected to have the cowling with the same camouflage paint as the rest of the plane.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hell Frozen Over (Bf 109F)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 12:12:55 AM »
That is really slick, sir.   Great job.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 12:59:21 AM »
 :aok

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 07:15:24 PM »
Excellent job! <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!