Author Topic: P-38J "Screwy Looie" Lt Louis Schriber, 8thFG, 80thFS  (Read 1665 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
P-38J "Screwy Looie" Lt Louis Schriber, 8thFG, 80thFS
« on: June 16, 2020, 07:14:10 PM »
Here are some shots of an update of one of my old P-38J skins.   Still a WIP but very close I think, unless you guys spot anything.     This is P-38J-5 42-6713 "Screwy Looie", flown by Lt Louis Schriber of the 80th FS, 8th FG.  Based in Finschafen, January 1944.   

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: P-38J "Screwy Looie" Lt Louis Schriber, 8thFG, 80thFS
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 07:19:09 PM »
 :aok

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 07:21:10 PM »
Glad you are updating your skins  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 07:44:18 PM »
beautiful Oboe
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2020, 07:48:13 PM »
Looks great!
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 08:32:08 PM »
Nice.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 09:31:56 PM »
Great Job! That Green and Olive drab is simply the best! <S>
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 09:53:51 PM »
Regarding the green markings, is the color you chose based on a specific source? Being that the OD is a dark yellow-green, I'm thinking the markings might look even better if you used a green that leans more towards the blue side of greens.

But this suggestion is simply in the name of aesthetics. If there is a documented color used that matches your chosen color, then never mind.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2020, 10:43:09 PM »
All the color artwork I've seen of the 80ths birds show green trim in a shade I'd describe as "Kelly Green" - its like a medium, true rich green. 

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 11:04:16 PM »
The main thing that jumped out at me is the national insignia on the left wing.   The bars look just a tad skinny.  Could just be perspective.

I like how the skin looks like a painting rather than an object.   It's a nice effect.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 11:15:52 PM »
Ok. I think your green leans more towards lime green than "Kelly Green." When I hear "Kelly Green," I think of the Boston Celtics uniform.

Also, the blue in your insignia looks too bold. Usually your insignia colors are spot on, so maybe you have simply not finished this aspect yet.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2020, 12:01:57 AM »
If the Celtics jersey is Kelly Green, then I'm using the wrong term - but I *think* its supposed to be a very simple, pure rich green - I've lost my color reference palettes, but I'm guessing there must be an Insignia green?   There used to be a great website with a whole bunch of USAF, RAF, and Luftwaffe color samples - Simmers Paintshop, or something like that.  and of course, it should be faded somewhat from months of front line service in the hot South Pacific sun.

I hadn't touched the star & bar insignia - I'll have to look at that.   By "bold" do you mean too much blue?  Or, should I just reduce opacity of the whole decal somewhat?  I'll double check to ensure blue border width is uniform all around - you're right, it may just be the angle.  It should have same proportions as the side insignia on the boom.

Vraciu - I think that painting effect resulted from following Greebo's skin build log and adding the noise and color variation layers.  Lots of variation that just happened.   Plus, I had an accident with an airbrush gun on the top inner left wing, and decided to just leave it. :/

EDIT: Found what looks to be a helpful site:  https://www.aircorpsart.com/blog/WWII-color-codes/   It had this sample palette, and I'm sure the 80th used that bright green 3rd from the right:

« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:12:48 AM by oboe »

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2020, 06:17:09 AM »
That's a great looking skin Oboe, really nicely weathered. Looking forward to seeing more of your updated work.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: P-38J &quot;Screwy Looie&quot; Lt Louis Schriber, 8thFG, 80thFS
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2020, 09:13:03 AM »
It's an 80th bird so that makes it about perfect. I always liked the OD ones. Geronimo 2 is another good one.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 11:48:14 AM »
If the Celtics jersey is Kelly Green, then I'm using the wrong term - but I *think* its supposed to be a very simple, pure rich green - I've lost my color reference palettes, but I'm guessing there must be an Insignia green?   There used to be a great website with a whole bunch of USAF, RAF, and Luftwaffe color samples - Simmers Paintshop, or something like that.  and of course, it should be faded somewhat from months of front line service in the hot South Pacific sun.

I hadn't touched the star & bar insignia - I'll have to look at that.   By "bold" do you mean too much blue?  Or, should I just reduce opacity of the whole decal somewhat?  I'll double check to ensure blue border width is uniform all around - you're right, it may just be the angle.  It should have same proportions as the side insignia on the boom.

Vraciu - I think that painting effect resulted from following Greebo's skin build log and adding the noise and color variation layers.  Lots of variation that just happened.   Plus, I had an accident with an airbrush gun on the top inner left wing, and decided to just leave it. :/

EDIT: Found what looks to be a helpful site:  https://www.aircorpsart.com/blog/WWII-color-codes/   It had this sample palette, and I'm sure the 80th used that bright green 3rd from the right:
(Image removed from quote.)

OK. The green you chose is close enough to a faded version of the green in that picture. Great color reference for other shades too.  :aok

The blue in your insignia needs to be desaturated and lightened slightly. Also it seems to be a bit too purple-ish. I think trying to match the Insignia Blue on that site will give a great result.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com