Author Topic: Thrustmaster's new controllers  (Read 4123 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: Thrustmaster's new controllers
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2020, 04:31:11 AM »
gman in your opinion whats the best stick for sitting on the desk with limited room, It's all very confusing with virpil / gunfighter etc.  Don't want a warthog. 

My 10 year old CH combat stick has seen better days.  Still not alot wrong with it but need options as I don't want another one.   :joystick:

Define limited room.

I am going to assume the pedals are not an issue space wise however I have the VKB ones and they work well.

For the stick / throttle situation I kept my Warthog throttle and have a virpil stick on a desk mount.  When in use it just clamps to the desk and then once done I undo it and it goes under the desk.  Currently it is very very dusty as it has been sat under the desk for many months.  Does not get in my way at all.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 12:51:05 AM »
This is the small base on a Gunfighter Mk III.

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2020, 05:39:50 PM »
Thrustmaster also came out with a F/A-18 stick that works with their Warthog base.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2020, 04:42:53 PM »
Had to replace my CH pedals, they were on the way out and I thought I'd open them up to see if a clean would straighten them out.   The cable wiring is a joke end of.  Amazed they lasted 12 years and 2 house moves with how flimsy and pathetic they are. 

Went with the VKB T flight ones as that metal construction looks like they won't suffer the same issue.   Would have grabbed the stick aswell but out of stock...  :ahand
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 05:31:22 PM »
I did receive the vkb T flight pedals and very impressed with them. 

Small and compact, easy to assemble.  The lack of toe brakes takes a bit of getting used to but you can map a button on your HOTAS to engage the virtual brake and it will then drop the R or L in game brake pedal whilst still providing normal rudder control when the button is depressed.   This does take a bit of getting use to but isn't game breaking when they are so very nice and precise in the air.

I don't foresee them having any faults like the cheaply made CH pro pedal wiring! time will always tell though.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 06:01:52 PM »
I did receive the vkb T flight pedals and very impressed with them. 

Small and compact, easy to assemble.  The lack of toe brakes takes a bit of getting used to but you can map a button on your HOTAS to engage the virtual brake and it will then drop the R or L in game brake pedal whilst still providing normal rudder control when the button is depressed.   This does take a bit of getting use to but isn't game breaking when they are so very nice and precise in the air.

I don't foresee them having any faults like the cheaply made CH pro pedal wiring! time will always tell though.

I've had my Mk T-Rudders for about 4 years now, work just as well now as they did on the day I got them.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 08:09:29 PM »
I have 10 or more years on my CH pedals and they are working fine. Dang it has been a long time.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2020, 04:37:12 AM »
I have 10 or more years on my CH pedals and they are working fine. Dang it has been a long time.

I could have easily gotten another 10 years out of my CH Pro Pedals, I've got plenty of spare parts for the pedals but I wanted to move away from CH's ancient 8 bit technology and get a superior, modern 32bit pedals.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2020, 04:44:23 AM »
I could have easily gotten another 10 years out of my CH Pro Pedals, I've got plenty of spare parts for the pedals but I wanted to move away from CH's ancient 8 bit technology and get a superior, modern 32bit pedals.

Yup the 8 bit is life ending for CH. But the pedals have never stopped working.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2020, 08:00:31 AM »
And the plastic on plastic movement wasn't the smoothest either. It was affordable technology but after upgrading to Crosswinds pedals a few years ago the difference in that alone is night and day. They're like a machine where the other peds were like a toy in comparison.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »
And the plastic on plastic movement wasn't the smoothest either. It was affordable technology but after upgrading to Crosswinds pedals a few years ago the difference in that alone is night and day. They're like a machine where the other peds were like a toy in comparison.

No doubt there are better ones out now. CH went to sleep on their product.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2020, 09:24:45 AM »
LOOKS like your dam near ready to go and pilot the hindenburg.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:32:27 AM by Morpheus »
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2020, 11:01:13 AM »

Yep, the design bugs were never fixed, especially the wire chafing problem.  That issue alone was a major headache when I worked at CH back in the '90s.

The only remaining CH gear I still use is the Pro Throttle, which I still believe is one of the best single throttle unit ever designed but it's still 8bit.  I just ordered Virpil's dual throttle and hopefully within the month I can fully retire all of my CH gear after.  I just packed away my Jane's F-16 Combat Stick, which was used when I was at CH as the prototype for switching from analog sticks to USB.  I might put it in a glass case to show it off along with my other collectibles.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2020, 11:23:29 AM »
Yeah still using my pro throttle. It's functional but one of the hats is getting a little flaky. I'm waiting to see what the proposed (for a couple of years now) VKB throttle is gonna be like. I'd like to stick with a unified software for all my gear if I can. VKB software isn't the easiest to deal with initially, but once you get the hang of it it's really comprehensive.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2020, 11:43:24 AM »
Yeah still using my pro throttle. It's functional but one of the hats is getting a little flaky. I'm waiting to see what the proposed (for a couple of years now) VKB throttle is gonna be like. I'd like to stick with a unified software for all my gear if I can. VKB software isn't the easiest to deal with initially, but once you get the hang of it it's really comprehensive.

I'd like to keep my gear unified too but damn, that Virpil throttle is really impressive.  Don't think I can wait for VKB to finally release their throttle or that one company that makes Warbirds replica throttles, that company's P-38 throttle looks awesome but still at least another year away from commercial production.