Author Topic: Soviet Mitchell  (Read 518 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Soviet Mitchell
« on: July 02, 2020, 05:13:09 AM »
This is my "One more before the review" skin. Thank you to Lyric1 for finding me the info for this update to a skin originally created by Fencer in 2008.

This B-25C was operated by the 13th Guards Long Range Aviation Regiment of the Soviet Air Force. The slogan on its nose translates as "Roslavlsky" which is the title given to the regiment after it helped liberate this Russian district from the Germans in September 1943.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Soviet Mitchell
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 05:22:48 AM »
Nice. They just slapped on paint of any color to cover the US graphics..... didn't try too hard to match it.  Just as long as the plane worked.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 05:42:22 AM »
Nice job.  Was the star on the tail like that with the thicker white border?
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 07:58:17 AM »
Beauty.  The B-25 model is one the best in AH I think.

The green the Russians often used reminds me most of John Deere green.   I think I read they had a shortage of drab paints and just used anything they could find.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 08:25:59 AM »
Excellent work Greebo.

I believe the general consensus is that the U.S. (or RAF in some cases) markings were painted over using the standard Soviet aircraft colors.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 08:59:18 AM »
The tail stars on the photos Lyric1 found of this aircraft do show relatively large borders for their size so I am confident the skin is correct in this regard. One thing I wasn't sure about was whether the aircraft had stars on the upper wings or not. Russian-built aircraft rarely had stars here but lend lease aircraft sometimes did.

With painted-over RAF or USAAF markings I've always gone with whatever VVS shade most closely matches the underlying colour and the tone of grey on the B&W photo, in this case AMT-4 green on top and AMT-7 blue underneath. The photo showed a lighter border around the USAAF markings and I assume this relates to them having the 1943 style red borders.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:01:38 AM by Greebo »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 09:11:49 AM »
The tail stars on the photos Lyric1 found of this aircraft do show relatively large borders for their size so I am confident the skin is correct in this regard. One thing I wasn't sure about was whether the aircraft had stars on the upper wings or not. Russian-built aircraft rarely had stars here but lend lease aircraft sometimes did.

With painted-over RAF or USAAF markings I've always gone with whatever VVS shade most closely matches the underlying colour and the tone of grey on the B&W photo, in this case AMT-4 green on top and AMT-7 blue underneath. The photo showed a lighter border around the USAAF markings and I assume this relates to them having the 1943 style red borders.

Okay, just double checking as they swallow up more of the red than usually seen.

Nice work.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 10:29:36 AM »
 :aok

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 10:34:18 AM »
Outstanding work Greebo!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!