Author Topic: B-25Ds "Potent Cock" and "Quitch" - 345th BG, 501st BS - Source Material  (Read 530 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
I'm gonna' post some links to the photos Toad has provided me of these two airplanes.   Lyric1 also posted some photos here:

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,400576.msg5309344.html#msg5309344

I've hosted all the images I have (which include those Lyric1 posted in the thread above) in a gallery here:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/jCLBGjJ

Pacific Wrecks has a little on each plane.

B-25D "Potent Cock" 41-30060* SSgt Joe Forman arming side 50 caliber gun packs
Source: https://pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-25/41-30060/b25-guns-left.html

B-25D-1 "Quitch" Serial Number 41-30518
Source: https://pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-25/41-30518.html
__
*I'm making the assumption this is the same plane as I can't make out the s/n on any photos.

CLICK TO ENLARGE.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 03:28:00 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Good find V!
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Good find V!

Thanks, man.   It wasn't my find, sir.  I just consolidated the info.   :salute :cheers:
”KILLER V”

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Two different C--K nose art paintings as well!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
My dad ditched Quitch off the Kamiri airfield. The Japs had still not been completely cleared from Noemfoor.

When the left engine quit, Quitch tried to flip over on her back. Dad and his co-pilot had both been on the controls all the way from Halmahera fighting to keep it upright. It took them about 3.5 hours to get to Noemfoor; in all that time they only got it to about 5000 feet. They were both on the controls holding full aileron and rudder. They were pretty much exhausted.

Just when they thought they had it made....the engine quit at 1000 feet a little more a mile off the beach. The crew were already at crash positions. Dad called for the gear up knowing they were going in the drink. They were really lucky. The hit with a huge smack but slid on to a coral ridge which ground some of the bottom of the aircraft off but they didn't sink. An army DUKW was hauling cargo to shore, saw them go in and turned to pick them up. He said they were only sitting there about 15-20 minutes and then on their way to the beach. Only one crewmember was hurt, getting bounced off the airframe when they hit the water. A broken arm I think he said.

I still think they should have gotten the DFC for that one.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
My goodness...

:cheers: :salute
”KILLER V”

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
My dad ditched Quitch off the Kamiri airfield. The Japs had still not been completely cleared from Noemfoor.

When the left engine quit, Quitch tried to flip over on her back. Dad and his co-pilot had both been on the controls all the way from Halmahera fighting to keep it upright. It took them about 3.5 hours to get to Noemfoor; in all that time they only got it to about 5000 feet. They were both on the controls holding full aileron and rudder. They were pretty much exhausted.

Just when they thought they had it made....the engine quit at 1000 feet a little more a mile off the beach. The crew were already at crash positions. Dad called for the gear up knowing they were going in the drink. They were really lucky. The hit with a huge smack but slid on to a coral ridge which ground some of the bottom of the aircraft off but they didn't sink. An army DUKW was hauling cargo to shore, saw them go in and turned to pick them up. He said they were only sitting there about 15-20 minutes and then on their way to the beach. Only one crewmember was hurt, getting bounced off the airframe when they hit the water. A broken arm I think he said.

I still think they should have gotten the DFC for that one.

Great story.

:salute
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
 :salute