Author Topic: Fortress Europe Blitz week scenario  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fortress Europe Blitz week scenario
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 03:02:46 PM »
For every internet site?  That sounds bad.  I'd be throwing a fit with my provider. 

If it's just AH, maybe contact support and they can walk you through a ping trace.  Maybe there is a choke point they can resolve.

:salute

I've often wondered, does that actually ever work out?  When it comes to anything beyond "wiggle the wires" and "have you tried turning it off and on again?" they generally don't seem to have much, and from what I have seen and heard, the States is even worse than up here in that regard when it comes to ISPs.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 03:09:23 PM »
I've often wondered, does that actually ever work out?  When it comes to anything beyond "wiggle the wires" and "have you tried turning it off and on again?" they generally don't seem to have much, and from what I have seen and heard, the States is even worse than up here in that regard when it comes to ISPs.

Wiley.

I don't know.  Networking isn't my area of knowledge. 

I think I remember cases in the past where they identified network nodes that had something jammed up and were able to contact them and get it untangled.  I dunnno.  Worth a try.

1000ms seems ridiculous.  Unless he is on satellite or something that just sounds like something is broken.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
Many times it is a modem issue. Modems supplied by the ISP are notorious for being mediocre or worse.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2020, 03:56:18 PM »
I still reckon its better to have modem than lessdem.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2020, 04:00:39 PM »
I still reckon its better to have modem than lessdem.

Snicker
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2020, 04:04:07 PM »
Many times it is a modem issue. Modems supplied by the ISP are notorious for being mediocre or worse.

Yup.  I remember at the one place we lived, the modem/router we had, the firmware had a bug where if my machine was set to DHCP, it would disconnect every 6 hours on the dot no matter what settings I used.  Wound up having to put it to a static IP to fix it.

I think I remember cases in the past where they identified network nodes that had something jammed up and were able to contact them and get it untangled.  I dunnno.  Worth a try.

1000ms seems ridiculous.  Unless he is on satellite or something that just sounds like something is broken.

I've seen plenty of people identify the bad hop.  I don't recall any stories of "the ISP leapt into action and fixed it specifically".  Not saying it didn't happen, I just can't recall any instances.  I would hope they would, but it would surprise me a bit.  I know my work's internet connection has been flaky in the past and convincing the phone company that something is flaky somewhere outside the walls of the building is a real PITA.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2020, 05:01:58 PM »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »
I was really hoping to join in since I got back in the game recently but now I've moved and have the world's absolute worst Internet connection (pings average in the 1000 ms range) so unless we can figure something better out for Internet I may be hanging up my AH wings for good.  :cry

www.starlink.com

Might be worth a shot if it works as advertised. Signed up but not guaranteed to get into the first testing. Did get a second mail wanting my address. I moved last year and only have a crappy DSL provider, so I am hoping this might be the answer. But it is only in selected areas at first. Good luck.

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2020, 08:41:15 PM »
www.starlink.com

Might be worth a shot if it works as advertised. Signed up but not guaranteed to get into the first testing. Did get a second mail wanting my address. I moved last year and only have a crappy DSL provider, so I am hoping this might be the answer. But it is only in selected areas at first. Good luck.

Keep us up to date on how that works out.  I am very interested.

:salute

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2020, 11:37:59 AM »
Will do and I would sign up if you want, it is worth a shot.  :cheers:

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2020, 09:41:46 PM »

It's satellite. I just moved out in the absolute middle of nowhere. We're trying to get cellular Internet to work but the cell signal is too weak and none of the routers works well with the boosters we've tried.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2020, 10:09:39 PM »
It's satellite. I just moved out in the absolute middle of nowhere. We're trying to get cellular Internet to work but the cell signal is too weak and none of the routers works well with the boosters we've tried.

Oh, if you are satellite you are screwed.  That explains it.  Maybe Starlink will payoff.  I have some rural land I am hoping Starlink will allow me to live out there for extended periods and work remotely.  Let's hope Elon is not all hype this time.  ;)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2020, 05:19:31 PM »
Tonight in SEA2!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »
I had an experience with my provider at least 10 years ago.  My speed was not up to snuff (now Spectrum).  I checked the Gateway and their my speed fell naturally until I got to the Hop, the same HOP I was routed through to get the the AH server.  I had ping plotter and identified the bad hop.  So what do I do I call my Provider.  This is what happens to everyone that contacts their provider.

My call. 
Me: I'm suffering serious delays and, my connection is up over 1200ms at times and goes up and down drastically and the connection misses at least at time 60 t0 70 packets that go wobbling into space somewhere.

Level one tech:  OK Sir would you get into DOS and run a tracert to microsft.com.

Me:  The tracert to microsoft was fast and complete.  But I'm not trying to connect to Microsoft but to the Hightech creations server.

To make this short I had to get to a level 3 Tech who was an engineer.  I had to stay on the line and raise a big stink until I got the engineer.
I explained to the Engineer what was happening and where.  I emailed him the pingplotter route from my gateway, to the bad hop and then finally to the AH server.  It showed the missing packetts and that at times 70% of the packetts were lost.

Time-Warner flagged the hop. (Sprint)  They repaired the problem and I've had no problems since.  What I'm telling you is be firm AND polite.  Don't fall for the tracert routine the level1 Techie is basically a screener with little if any knowledge about the internet.  Stand firm and polite.  Get pingplotter and email it to the engineer. They receive it as fast as you send it by email.

Don't threaten, just have proof of what you are saying.  I also had them balance the upload and download of my signal. Remember the first person you call will be someone who knows very little.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2020, 12:41:48 PM »
3rd and Final frame tonight!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!