Author Topic: Maps are way too big  (Read 9926 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Maps are way too big
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2020, 12:21:01 PM »
I think the perfect base distance is right about where the two dar rings touch, depending on the map a little closer or a little farther. It allows for people to roll and get about 5K of alt before engaging. I agree that there won't be a way to stop guys who love alt, but some maps promote that sort of play. It is fine though, generally they don't know how to fight and blow all of their advantage in a turn or two.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2020, 04:05:02 PM »
I see what you are saying. That being said, farther bases creates bigger hoards. If I can't roll from a back base to defend it because its 30 miles away, that means the hoard can take over and vulch easily. Further bases also create higher alt monkeys. The further it takes to get to a base, the higher they will get as they have farther to travel. Some of these maps I feel like there are spots where another base should go that would provide much better fights.

If bases are close enough, a hord can shut several down easily at once.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2020, 04:33:11 PM »
It is a hard one to get balanced as what is on offer here compared to others is all round game play ... you have it all in one box.... as Baine noted there are others but they consist predominantly of one faucet of the game play Aces offers...this would get boring..(If I get sick of furballing I GV..get sick of that...I bomb something...get sick that...join a base take etc etc etc). but those places...don't give a toss...compared to them HT is very interactive as a company.. others will micro transaction the crap out of you till you go hmmm... why is my CC so high.... oh...guess I shouldn't have bought all those hello kitty skins.(Don't buy you have a hard slog ahead of you).. and when you stop...they don't care either...because it's the latest "Free" game out there and there will always be a new squeaker that worked out how to use his mums credit card.

Intro of plane Icon I believe did help... it helps with identification of what you are in for...do you need to chase buffs ... of are you about to have a fighter dance... runners are always going to run.... I come across a few but most of the time I get attacked

There are so many differing opinions that are for the most part personal ... for HT the whole thing is personal ... From the server equipment he uses, the internet provisions available a big thing going to AH3 would have been him knowing that there were going to be a bunch of people not willing or able to upgrade to play this... that is not his fault... but there were cries about it when it was made public ..within AH.... that this was going to happen... he held it back for many years to appease others all the while alienating the newer richer younger gamers who were playing small arena high spec'd games and getting grief for that also.... Balance is unfortunately not the greatest human trait these days...

So peoples personal agenda although on the surface is to help the game..is purely a personal projection

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 04:39:46 PM by SPKmes »

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2020, 06:01:20 PM »
Simple.... by his post.

You too spend so much time complaining that you have no idea how enjoyable it can be in the MA. You want it your way...  forget everyone else.

Can't please everyone. Some do not want to be eased.
Evidently a lot. I mean in the past week(s) several good bye posts. And that’s a lot to this game. I mean a lot of thresholds met?  Then consider the ones that never said bye.

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2020, 06:07:20 PM »
Simple.... by his post.

You too spend so much time complaining that you have no idea how enjoyable it can be in the MA. You want it your way...  forget everyone else.

Can't please everyone. Some do not want to be eased.
Actually Shuffler, 30 years in a business that requires intense interaction with the public every day. And I don't see how pointing out that rules that try to force everyone to fly and fight a certain way is me wanting it only my way - I'd think it was pretty clear that I was arguing for allowing as many people play the game in as many different ways as they'd like. So, let's see, you made an assumption or two. You also missed the point of the entire thread - people who want to see the game succeed and remain viable and recognize that something must be done to ensure that happens. 

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2020, 06:59:04 PM »
Evidently a lot. I mean in the past week(s) several good bye posts. And that’s a lot to this game. I mean a lot of thresholds met?  Then consider the ones that never said bye.

Even more hello post..... new folks and those coming back.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2020, 07:01:04 PM »
Actually Shuffler, 30 years in a business that requires intense interaction with the public every day. And I don't see how pointing out that rules that try to force everyone to fly and fight a certain way is me wanting it only my way - I'd think it was pretty clear that I was arguing for allowing as many people play the game in as many different ways as they'd like. So, let's see, you made an assumption or two. You also missed the point of the entire thread - people who want to see the game succeed and remain viable and recognize that something must be done to ensure that happens.

What was the game?
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Baine

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2020, 07:36:39 PM »

What was the game?
Nevermind Dude, nevermind.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2020, 08:46:35 PM »
Even more hello post..... new folks and those coming back.

I didnt see that many people come back, a few "dropped in" to say "HI", but I dont see them flying. Almost half the Pigs squad is gone with a few more leaving now that Way is calling it a day in AH, and the Pigs are no longer in the rotation for FSO.

Ya the future of AH looks great  :rolleyes:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2020, 09:06:33 PM »
You won't. You don't want to.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2020, 11:16:03 PM »
I love the way AH is set up, however, when the bases are far at 12am and the fight dies down. I ask myself. Is it worth my time to fly to a base, bomb the town or VH, and then die 3 seconds after I release my ord from AAA. Or if I'm really lucky ill get one more pass before I die instantly from AAA. Closer bases means I'm more likely to roll again for the action of jabo even though I might die instantly by the AAA when I release my ord. It would also keep the attackers lower which would increase the pace of fights.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2020, 06:08:10 AM »
I think alt monkeys are universal regardless of field distance.  If they're going to alt monkey, they're going to do it regardless of map.  I know I do.

I really wish there was some way to incentivize people to fight as opposed to ack drag, but they're going to do what they're going to do no matter what.  I've had a guy ack drag me from literally over my base to his base because I came in co-alt.

The upside to this game is you get to create your own situation, you're not really forced into much of anything.  The downside is, your enemies do too.

Wiley.

What I think would help here is to either lower ack accuracy - the 88 in the right hands is stupid - to more realistic levels or make it so deadly you die 9 out of 10 times you try to buzz through it.

AND make any ack kill go to AI and not the ack dragger

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2020, 07:31:14 AM »

What was the game?
You said company that deals with the public, not game.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2020, 09:56:41 AM »
What I think would help here is to either lower ack accuracy - the 88 in the right hands is stupid - to more realistic levels or make it so deadly you die 9 out of 10 times you try to buzz through it.

<S>

Eagler

Folks have much more practice and experience in here than many of the folks back in the war because we do not die. If we handicap the gunners, it would only be fair to handicap the gv, fighter, ground pounder, and buffs.

I don't think we want to do that.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2020, 10:07:01 AM »

<S>

Eagler

I don't think changing who gets the kill would materially affect the behavior.  I don't think they're doing it to get the kill score, they're just wanting to have their pursuer die, whatever form that takes.

Gotta agree with Shuffler.  Whatever the physics were, that's what should be in the game.  The additional info we get like constantly updating range info is not something a guy generally had in real time from a ground gun.  Maybe that's the route to go, get rid of the super accurate rangefinding over long distance.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11