Author Topic: Maps are way too big  (Read 9952 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Maps are way too big
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2020, 10:27:42 AM »
I don't think changing who gets the kill would materially affect the behavior.  I don't think they're doing it to get the kill score, they're just wanting to have their pursuer die, whatever form that takes.

Gotta agree with Shuffler.  Whatever the physics were, that's what should be in the game.  The additional info we get like constantly updating range info is not something a guy generally had in real time from a ground gun.  Maybe that's the route to go, get rid of the super accurate rangefinding over long distance.

Wiley.

That is for the same reason as in planes. Depth perception in online games is dicey.  I'm just being the devil's advocate here.

I have gone into my ack when I have just taken off and get jumped.  Once I am up and away, I try to stay away from the base if possible. It is bothersome when folks are co alt and one dives to ack. Since I was off for over a year after the flood hit my home, I have become more known for spreading P-38J parts than anything else. I make it a work of art. In MNM there is one area that resembles a cliff.... it is actually 38J parts stacked out of the way. None are reusable, they just like to remind me of how many 38s I could have had if I did not part out so many.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2020, 10:31:07 AM »
You won't. You don't want to.

Me? I want this game to continue more than most. Its the only game I play these days. Should it close doors I'll be forced to spend more time with my wife!

Unlike you I don't sugar coat things. The game has developed some issues due to how people choose to play it and it has run off a good portion of the players we had. Discussing  the things we players see instead of ignoring them could help bring changes.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2020, 10:32:08 AM »
All of you asking for smaller maps, who's going to produce it/them? I'm not sure Bustr even plays anymore. Waffle is long gone as it the rest of the crew. I agree that smaller maps would better promote air & ground combat but unless Hitech is willing to take on the task, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
All of you asking for smaller maps, who's going to produce it/them? I'm not sure Bustr even plays anymore. Waffle is long gone as it the rest of the crew. I agree that smaller maps would better promote air & ground combat but unless Hitech is willing to take on the task, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

There is a brand new small map. It just does not last very long. The people see to that....  :D

I have yet to see it.

So if maps change every 2 hours.... this is better?
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2020, 10:36:44 AM »
I log into Melee almost daily. Have yet to see it...will keep an eye out.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2020, 10:50:41 AM »
That is for the same reason as in planes. Depth perception in online games is dicey.  I'm just being the devil's advocate here.

Being able to tell a vehicle is 400 yards away vs 200 yards away is one thing.  Being able to tell a vehicle is 5200 yards away vs 5000 yards is quite another.  Just MHO.

I log into Melee almost daily. Have yet to see it...will keep an eye out.

That's the problem, small maps roll in hours especially if the Bish morning crew is on and nobody else is.  Big maps sometimes go the full 7(?) days, although it's been a while since I've seen one of the big ones go a full week.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2020, 11:09:31 AM »
That's the problem, small maps roll in hours especially if the Bish morning crew is on and nobody else is. 

Is that a problem? I guess it's a matter of taste. 

I'd prefer a user experience where I could fight through a map from start, to climax, to conclusion within an evenings flying (2-3 hours), rather than sit on a map that drags on inconclusively for a week only to be won in the middle of the night by some Europeans when no one else is on.

Or is the problem that there is only one small map?  If there were 10 unique small maps in a rotation, would it be a problem that they rotate every 3 hours?  Or is there benefit to a single map that lasts a week? 

Could the low likelihood of seeing a conclusion with large maps be effecting the focus and intensity of action?     

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2020, 11:19:02 AM »
Small maps being rolled once or twice a day is much better than big maps lasting 4-5 days. Being apart of winning the map is fun and gives a since of accomplishment. Maps that stay up too long typically die out with #s after 3 days.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2020, 11:27:25 AM »
Is that a problem? I guess it's a matter of taste. 

I get what you're saying, and that's certainly what more people are geared toward these days than what we've got with the bigger maps in particular.

When the new map came in, I believe they said the Bish rolled it in a couple hours.  The nits rolled it in about 6ish after HT reset it manually to put it back in.

You're probably right about the focus, although it does seem to me to show up even in the bigger maps if you happen to get the right half dozen people moving in the same direction.

Personally I don't think a map should last a week.  IMO they should last max 5 days so you don't wind up with two weekends in a row hampered by a map you don't like.

Personally I like the ongoing feeling of the bigger maps more than the short bursts of rolling the smaller maps asap.  On the other hand it might be an improvement to give people a bit more control over their destiny versus logging in to one of the bigger maps pushed back to 20% of your fields with all your strats at 5% because the night shift was unopposed.

I don't see a play session as needing to win the war every session though.  I come in, look at what's going on, and decide what I want to do given the current activity.  It could be high alt bomber interception, it could be CAS defense at one of our fields, it could be helping take an enemy field in some way.

One of the things I feel differentiates this game from most is the fact that you log in to a situation.  It may be favorable to your side, it may be unfavorable, but you have to deal with it.  To me that makes for more varied gameplay than logging in to a fresh map with completely even sides and having the same best path to victory every time.  Again, that's what more people these days are geared towards but I think it takes a lot of the flavor out of it.

I also think that's a lot of what is hurting the game's popularity.  People want their bite-sized bit of gameplay so they can win or lose and then do the next thing.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2020, 11:35:34 AM »
Some live for maps. I like fights. I really do not care if a terrain is up for a week or more. Everyone has their own reason for being here. If yours is to see more maps in a week... it is what it is.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »
Putting the bases closer would not necessarily help anything gameplay wise as any increase in difficulty taking bases only ever results in hordes.

"Path of least resistance" players are only ever going to make it easier for themselves to get around fighting.

Some never grow out of PoLR flying and get stuck in it's appeal of ease despite it being a breeding ground of bad lazy habits.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2020, 03:10:21 PM »
Putting the bases closer would not necessarily help anything gameplay wise as any increase in difficulty taking bases only ever results in hordes.

I disagree. Half sector bases create much better gameplay. People stick around longer on the map because they can normally find a fight in a quick amount of time or it doesn't take as long to fly to a base for Jabo. Further bases on bigger maps create more people logging off at a faster rate as it gets later. They simply don't want to fly 10 minutes to a base for hopefully 1 or 2 guys to roll. I notice #s are normally higher when fights last longer on the map. If a player gets shot down, its always, do I spend another 15-30 minutes for another sortie? Is the fight worth it to roll? The further the base is away. The less likely they will re-roll if its getting late. Them not re rolling shrinks the fight.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2020, 04:00:44 PM »
Folks always assuming everyone is just like them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2020, 04:17:05 PM »
I only assume everyone is an arse hole, ... just like me  :old:  :banana:  :o
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Online flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2020, 04:21:41 PM »
And others ASSume the post count says it all