Author Topic: Maps are way too big  (Read 9949 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Maps are way too big
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2020, 07:36:35 AM »
Question...

Even with low numbers now in A  - what ww2 online server has more A2A combat than AH has these days?

I have not seen one

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2020, 08:05:58 AM »
I am currently designing a new map that will have a center lake with an island "playground".  The island will have three tiny "VBRMT" vehicle bases that will have a few aircraft enabled as well as spawns for GVs.  The bases will be 10 miles apart and situated on 3K mountains for an "air start" for the planes and to prevent camping by opposing tanks.  Both aircraft and GVs can get to a fight in 2 minutes.

I'm considering this group of enabled planes, chosen for similar low altitude performance (and minimal ordnance with which to harass the nearby GVs):

A6M2
Brewster
F4F-4
Hurricane Mk I
I-16

Would this plane set get any use in the "playground", or are we too spoiled with Late War performance?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2020, 08:49:33 AM »
Question...

Even with low numbers now in A  - what ww2 online server has more A2A combat than AH has these days?

I have not seen one

<S>

Eagler
I agree that this game meets a good 50/50 quality of ava. There’s a lot of combat in il2 considering the amount of servers just a lot more unnecessary work (my own opinion) to be enjoyable as a game. Just wish HTC would implement simple useful ideas to promote better game play. The steadfast hard nose this is the way it is seems to be driving off folks.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2020, 08:57:33 AM »
i have yet to log in and find no action flippz.

semp
Never said anything to that matter. But since we are on that point, not everyone logs in to fight hordes for hours upon hours when most only get a few hours a week to play. Others care very little to fly 5-7 mins per flight to chase planes around in ack. I mean let’s face it folks aren’t leaving a game that is engaging and fun.
ModernWarfare just released numbers for active players in their battle royale game that’s near 75 million active accounts. I know it’s a different style game but look at what it has to entice folks.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2020, 09:56:50 AM »
There we go.  That's the next thing to do.  The only flying/vehicle related BR game on the market.  Book it.  Done.  Evolve or die!!!

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2020, 10:00:16 AM »
I am currently designing a new map that will have a center lake with an island "playground".  The island will have three tiny "VBRMT" vehicle bases that will have a few aircraft enabled as well as spawns for GVs.  The bases will be 10 miles apart and situated on 3K mountains for an "air start" for the planes and to prevent camping by opposing tanks.  Both aircraft and GVs can get to a fight in 2 minutes.

I'm considering this group of enabled planes, chosen for similar low altitude performance (and minimal ordnance with which to harass the nearby GVs):

A6M2
Brewster
F4F-4
Hurricane Mk I
I-16

Would this plane set get any use in the "playground", or are we too spoiled with Late War performance?

Thanks popeye!

What about the spit1 and 109e?

<S>

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2020, 10:45:03 AM »
I agree that this game meets a good 50/50 quality of ava. There’s a lot of combat in il2 considering the amount of servers just a lot more unnecessary work (my own opinion) to be enjoyable as a game. Just wish HTC would implement simple useful ideas to promote better game play. The steadfast hard nose this is the way it is seems to be driving off folks.

He does implement changes every so often. He just can't do so at at anyone's whim.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2020, 10:49:36 AM »
Never said anything to that matter. But since we are on that point, not everyone logs in to fight hordes for hours upon hours when most only get a few hours a week to play. Others care very little to fly 5-7 mins per flight to chase planes around in ack. I mean let’s face it folks aren’t leaving a game that is engaging and fun.
ModernWarfare just released numbers for active players in their battle royale game that’s near 75 million active accounts. I know it’s a different style game but look at what it has to entice folks.

Blue Bell Icecream sells like crazy..... but it is different too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2020, 10:54:21 AM »
There we go.  That's the next thing to do.  The only flying/vehicle related BR game on the market.  Book it.  Done.  Evolve or die!!!

Heh.  Don't worry.  I think you are fairly safe from the threat of evolution.  It's taken a while, but you have beaten me down into submission.  I no longer see the point in trying to lobby for any real change.  The design is set in stone.  Love it or leave it.  You're right that the level of change needed to materially change it's trajectory is essentially making a new game, so you might as well give it a different name and leave this one hermetically sealed like a time capsule.

Hopefully Hitech is able to branch out and try some innovative ideas with other games someday. 
Aces High is not likely to evolve from what it is at this moment.  What ever it's fate is, is a lock at this point.
For about 200 active players, that is meeting their needs, so that is not necessarily bad bad thing while it lasts.

It's like your grandpa is in a hospice.
It's sad because you remember him in his more vibrant, vigorous days, but time relentlessly moves on.
There is no point any longer hassling him to stop smoking or eat better or get some exercise.  It would only annoy both of you, and isn't going to happen anyway, and is probably too late to make a difference.
Just try and enjoy what time there is left, make him as comfortable as possible under the circumstances, and then remember him fondly.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:58:01 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2020, 10:59:03 AM »
Hehe, good analogy.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2020, 12:03:01 PM »
Heh.  Don't worry.  I think you are fairly safe from the threat of evolution.  It's taken a while, but you have beaten me down into submission.  I no longer see the point in trying to lobby for any real change.  The design is set in stone.  Love it or leave it.  You're right that the level of change needed to materially change it's trajectory is essentially making a new game, so you might as well give it a different name and leave this one hermetically sealed like a time capsule.

Hopefully Hitech is able to branch out and try some innovative ideas with other games someday. 
Aces High is not likely to evolve from what it is at this moment.  What ever it's fate is, is a lock at this point.
For about 200 active players, that is meeting their needs, so that is not necessarily bad bad thing while it lasts.

It's like your grandpa is in a hospice.
It's sad because you remember him in his more vibrant, vigorous days, but time relentlessly moves on.
There is no point any longer hassling him to stop smoking or eat better or get some exercise.  It would only annoy both of you, and isn't going to happen anyway, and is probably too late to make a difference.
Just try and enjoy what time there is left, make him as comfortable as possible under the circumstances, and then remember him fondly.

To be honest, I'd love to be proven wrong about it but I don't see anything to indicate that might happen.

That about catches it.  Some ideas might make what's here better.  For example I'm sold on shorter base separation distances based on the last few maps that've been made.  The idea that if they just change a couple details we'll draw in mass numbers like the days of yore seems "unlikely" to me though.

This kind of arena is simply not what people are looking for these days, but IMO the style of gameplay is what's keeping a fair number of people here vs the other options.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2020, 12:03:32 PM »
Eagler,

I think the Spit Mk1 has just enough performance edge that "playground island" would soon become Spitfire Island (maybe not a bad thing).  I would have included the 109e, except it can load 250kg of grief for the nearby GVs.  Same goes for the P-40's.  It's difficult to select a small plane set with similar performance that can't grief the GVs.

On the other hand, no sense in limiting the plane set to something that won't get used.  Maybe 109F, Spit9, C.202, and La-5.   ???
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2020, 12:08:59 PM »
trips, what you mean to say is the only solution is your ideas, nothing else. but you fail to see others are having fun.  you don't see that numbers are increasing perhaps slow, but still.

truth is you aren't proposing anything new. complains about hordes, ack runners, bomb and bailers... have been around forever.  your suggestions have been proposed since i got here.

game may not be perfect but it is still fun.  do wish it would have an easier way to set up your stick.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: August 05, 2020, 12:42:32 PM »
Eagler,

I think the Spit Mk1 has just enough performance edge that "playground island" would soon become Spitfire Island (maybe not a bad thing).  I would have included the 109e, except it can load 250kg of grief for the nearby GVs.  Same goes for the P-40's.  It's difficult to select a small plane set with similar performance that can't grief the GVs.

On the other hand, no sense in limiting the plane set to something that won't get used.  Maybe 109F, Spit9, C.202, and La-5.   ???

Planes will fly across the water to change your intended design. People will be people.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: August 05, 2020, 01:45:34 PM »
For example I'm sold on shorter base separation distances based on the last few maps that've been made.

Yes, there are little things here and there you can do to make grandpa more comfortable until the end. Like fluffing up his pillow and getting him a sippy cup of juice.  ;)

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.