Author Topic: My 2 cents - from a long time gone player  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
My 2 cents - from a long time gone player
« on: July 23, 2020, 11:15:58 AM »
I loaded up the game a few weeks back - flew offline for awhile, new throttle - joystick setup, it has been over ten years - maybe more since I played on a regular basis, so it is starting all over again.
I am losing the enme all the time- so improvement greatly needed on views control
I am dying way more than killing- nothing new there :)
my favorite rides in the past were the p47 and the Hurricane - I still suck in those

Last night was the first time in weeks I felt like I was actually having fun, got in some turners and stayed alive for a few turns
Flew some bombers and actually hit stuff.. again a new experience- still am confused as to why I get killed chasing bombers and my gunnery sucks so bad while in a bomber - and I get shot down.. there is some magic involved I am sure- nothing to do with actually having a clue

My opinion- maps are too big for number of current players, but I am sure there is a cost factor involved
Be great to see 5 to 600 players on again, too bad more old timers aren't coming back
My point, it is still a fum immersing game, well worth the renew the learning curve, someday I may be in the top 900 in fighters score :)

NwBie

Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: My 2 cents - from a long time gone player
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 12:21:12 PM »
Fun is what you make of it. I logged on the other night and saw a base under heavy attack. I went there and upped over and over. They were all over it and I kept getting killed. I was in tears I was laughing so hard. Was trying to kill just one or two every time up to thin them out. Was fun... then they got the base anyway. Was a valiant effort though. Man I laughed so hard I had to take a break.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 05:01:59 AM »
I loaded up the game a few weeks back - flew offline for awhile, new throttle - joystick setup, it has been over ten years - maybe more since I played on a regular basis, so it is starting all over again.
I am losing the enme all the time- so improvement greatly needed on views control
my favorite rides in the past were the p47 and the Hurricane - I still suck in those

Last night was the first time in weeks I felt like I was actually having fun, got in some turners and stayed alive for a few turns
Flew some bombers and actually hit stuff.. again a new experience- still am confused as to why I get killed chasing bombers and my gunnery sucks so bad while in a bomber - and I get shot down.. there is some magic involved I am sure- nothing to do with actually having a clue

My opinion- maps are too big for number of current players, but I am sure there is a cost factor involved
Be great to see 5 to 600 players on again, too bad more old timers aren't coming back
My point, it is still a fum immersing game, well worth the renew the learning curve, someday I may be in the top 900 in fighters score :)

NwBie

Level a B-17 at 1200 feet above the water on auto-pilot and shoot at the water. See that all your bullets go to the same place?
That's 400 yards convergence and it's unchangeable for bomber gunners. Best to program a single gun to fire until the enemy gets to about 600-700 or less and then open up with all your guns. Saves a great deal of wasted ammo.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 03:07:59 PM »
If we think the maps are too big for the amount of players,( and they may be) I say please stop by MNM in AvA on Mondays at 8:00 pm EST ! Smaller map and some great fights all around!  It also helps getting back in the glow of things.  :salute
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 04:15:21 PM »
If we think the maps are too big for the amount of players,( and they may be) I say please stop by MNM in AvA on Mondays at 8:00 pm EST ! Smaller map and some great fights all around!  It also helps getting back in the glow of things.  :salute

As long as you avoid the occasional P38 part falling past. There seems to be an abundant amount or 38 debris on the ground too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 02:26:54 AM »
‘Best to program a single gun to fire until the enemy gets to about 600-700 or less and then open up with all your guns. Saves a great deal of wasted ammo.’

Never knew that was possible, how do you do that?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 04:33:48 AM »
Just fire primary weapon and only the gun you man will fire. As the con closes, press "N" and all gun positions, in all planes, fire.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 08:37:16 AM »
Just fire primary weapon and only the gun you man will fire. As the con closes, press "N" and all gun positions, in all planes, fire.

My gunner fire button is mapped to my mouse right click. I’ll have to look and see if there’s primary mapped...

Thank you.  :salute
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 09:22:25 AM »
Its good to see you Newbie!

I haven't see you in quite some time too! I haven't gotten anything new in a loooong time. The last time I had gotten anything it was years and years ago when my fine friend and one hell of a fighter pilot gave me his CH Hotas! The whole shebang!

It's unfortunate that I will not get any chance in the near future to fly nor fight ya bercause you always seemed to be one heck of a "friendly stick" and seemed to give me a smile! Gain it is good to see ya and to know that among the what seems to me to be a dead stick game in terms of flighting and fighting with your friends from any side!

Morph
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 10:50:36 AM »
Never knew that was possible, how do you do that?
Not sure what kind of stick you have, but two stage trigger like that on an X52 is a lifesaver.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 02:31:48 PM »
My gunner fire button is mapped to my mouse right click. I’ll have to look and see if there’s primary mapped...

Thank you.  :salute

If the only gun shooting is the one you are manning..... that is the primary. Press "N" on the keyboard and all the other guns, that can see the aircraft you are aiming at, will shoot.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 06:14:12 PM »

NwBie

Hey bud, welcome back!  I just returned in the previous few weeks and find myself getting caught up again...... I suppose if there's a silver lining to the world getting turned upside down, it's that so many folks are coming back the Aces High. <S>
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 10:32:56 PM »
Kind words Morph, thanks
Was always a laughing night in those days= lots of good fun people always joking around - serious when needed and funny when required

be safe :)

quote author=Morpheus link=topic=400733.msg5311276#msg5311276 date=1595686945]
Its good to see you Newbie!

I haven't see you in quite some time too! I haven't gotten anything new in a loooong time. The last time I had gotten anything it was years and years ago when my fine friend and one hell of a fighter pilot gave me his CH Hotas! The whole shebang!

It's unfortunate that I will not get any chance in the near future to fly nor fight ya bercause you always seemed to be one heck of a "friendly stick" and seemed to give me a smile! Gain it is good to see ya and to know that among the what seems to me to be a dead stick game in terms of flighting and fighting with your friends from any side!

Morph
[/quote]
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."