Author Topic: Dear Amerika  (Read 16022 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Dear Amerika
« Reply #285 on: August 16, 2020, 04:08:53 PM »
You think its strange that they had pop up tents in Central Park as well as a medical ship and neither were used?

Still find it  strange also that NY left their public transportation open.

Well, unfortunately the essentials still had to go to work seeing as NYC provides ~13% of the United States GDP. The subway was shut down for overnight service for sanitation from 1-5am.

As for the medical ship, it seems it left on April 30th after treating only 200 patients but by April 30th NY numbers were rapidly decreasing in cases/day, so if it isn't getting utilized like intended I can understand it leaving. In that time it had to get refitted to go from strictly treating non-COVID patients to treating COVID patients, so I expect they had a bit of downtime.

I just can't help but laugh when people mock NY for 'poorly handling' a virus like we've never seen before. Then the state turns their numbers around and people just fall back to...but the nursing homes! but the death rate!

Funny that those mocking the NY death numbers are the same ones spewing mortality rates.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #286 on: August 16, 2020, 05:15:31 PM »
Well, unfortunately the essentials still had to go to work seeing as NYC provides ~13% of the United States GDP. The subway was shut down for overnight service for sanitation from 1-5am.

As for the medical ship, it seems it left on April 30th after treating only 200 patients but by April 30th NY numbers were rapidly decreasing in cases/day, so if it isn't getting utilized like intended I can understand it leaving. In that time it had to get refitted to go from strictly treating non-COVID patients to treating COVID patients, so I expect they had a bit of downtime.

I just can't help but laugh when people mock NY for 'poorly handling' a virus like we've never seen before. Then the state turns their numbers around and people just fall back to...but the nursing homes! but the death rate!

Funny that those mocking the NY death numbers are the same ones spewing mortality rates.

I'm happy the death #s aren't even close to what was predicted in the beginning. I am just pointing out the absurdity is Trips comments about Fox News watchers given where most of the high covid rates are. Remember, its okay for large groups to spray paint statements in the street and increase crime by 20%+ but its not okay to shoot the 911 lazer light memorial because Covid might spread....
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #287 on: August 16, 2020, 05:35:32 PM »
I'm happy the death #s aren't even close to what was predicted in the beginning. I am just pointing out the absurdity is Trips comments about Fox News watchers given where most of the high covid rates are. Remember, its okay for large groups to spray paint statements in the street and increase crime by 20%+ but its not okay to shoot the 911 lazer light memorial because Covid might spread....

you are correct Sturgis couldn't be stopped but the Lazer light could.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #288 on: August 16, 2020, 05:38:30 PM »
I was born in the 70's and grew up in the 80's with movies like "The Day After." I was both afraid and convinced that nuclear war was imminent. The end of the world. I had nightmares about it in middle-school. Now it once again feels like the world is gonna end. I am specifically worried about the rising cases of Covid in children and the fact that there are multiple strains of this bug circulating.

that is troubling.

In my gut I think civilization as we know it may not have much longer. I am not talking about extinction, just a serious slap by mother nature and our own ambitious desire to find better and better ways to kill people.

:(

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
« Reply #289 on: August 16, 2020, 05:40:14 PM »
This whole thing has went off the rails. If we can't get along is it any wonder our politicians can't either.  :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:42:48 PM by noman »
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #290 on: August 16, 2020, 05:41:27 PM »
As long as we preserve the internet and Aces High. :old:

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
« Reply #291 on: August 16, 2020, 05:46:05 PM »
I was born in the 70's and grew up in the 80's with movies like "The Day After." I was both afraid and convinced that nuclear war was imminent. The end of the world. I had nightmares about it in middle-school. Now it once again feels like the world is gonna end. I am specifically worried about the rising cases of Covid in children and the fact that there are multiple strains of this bug circulating.

that is troubling.

In my gut I think civilization as we know it may not have much longer. I am not talking about extinction, just a serious slap by mother nature and our own ambitious desire to find better and better ways to kill people.

I remember wanting the end of the world to happen so i could be like the Wolverines in Red Dawn. Still think about it sometimes. Zombie movies, nuclear holocaust, I wonder if I would survive. But then I think Heck I ain't special I am no John Conner.
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2020, 05:55:17 PM »

that is troubling.

Try growing up in the '50s and '60s with nuke drills in schools and air raid sirens going off. My bedroom window faced east and one morning woke up to the brightest sunrise I had ever seen waiting for the window to blow in and then oblivion from a nuke explosion.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #293 on: August 16, 2020, 06:09:25 PM »
The tornado/air raid siren was two blocks south of my house, growing up. When we moved there I was told that 2 bursts was a drill/test, 4 or more was a tornado and a steady loud burst was a missile attack. I wasn't told that occasionally a lightning strike on it would sometimes set it off in a loud steady burst. After the first storm that did that I streamlined the path to the storm shelter.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #294 on: August 16, 2020, 06:10:12 PM »
This whole thing has went off the rails. If we can't get along is it any wonder our politicians can't either.  :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead

Excellent observation!

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #295 on: August 16, 2020, 06:16:46 PM »
Try growing up in the '50s and '60s with nuke drills in schools and air raid sirens going off. My bedroom window faced east and one morning woke up to the brightest sunrise I had ever seen waiting for the window to blow in and then oblivion from a nuke explosion.

yeah that would have scared me even more. crazy world.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2020, 06:23:25 PM »
You guys are crazy.  Your a breath from death every day.  It's always there.  With a little ambition you can make the most of today.  Maybe do more tomorrow, but it is not guaranteed.  Live for today.  And be positive, help another person.  We are all in this, everything must eat world.  It's all good.

Well, kinda  :rofl  :bolt:

:noid

:banana: :banana: :banana: :airplane: :airplane:  :rock

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2020, 07:57:17 PM »
The tornado/air raid siren was two blocks south of my house, growing up. When we moved there I was told that 2 bursts was a drill/test, 4 or more was a tornado and a steady loud burst was a missile attack. I wasn't told that occasionally a lightning strike on it would sometimes set it off in a loud steady burst. After the first storm that did that I streamlined the path to the storm shelter.

A lot around here still are the civil defense sirens, they had two modes, alert and attack. Alert was used for tornado/storm, and that was a long siren for I think 60 seconds. The attack was saved for civil defense emergencies, and that was the up/down/up/down.

We have the ACA Allertor sirens, though one got replaced with one of the newer speaker ones.

See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #298 on: August 16, 2020, 09:42:09 PM »
You guys are crazy.  Your a breath from death every day.  It's always there.  With a little ambition you can make the most of today.  Maybe do more tomorrow, but it is not guaranteed.  Live for today.  And be positive, help another person.  We are all in this, everything must eat world.  It's all good.

Well said.

- oldman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2020, 11:45:58 PM »

I remember this one time around 2k.  I was driving from NC to CA was passing thru some town in nebraska, i saw some dark clouds and all of a sudden it got dark, it was windy and my car was all over the place, heard a siren and kept looking back thought it was a police chase. I drove for another 15 minutes and stopped at a gas station to get some coffee, clerk asked me how bad was the tornado, I said what tornado.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.