Author Topic: HP Reverb G2  (Read 7513 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: HP Reverb G2
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2021, 11:26:02 AM »
With this mod, Sebastian Ang says he increased the G2's FOV and improved edge to edge clarity.  Short version - he replaced the G2's face gasket with one designed for the Samsung Odyssey.  No permanent alterations are used; you can easily revert back the original. 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2021, 12:13:26 PM »
It is just a thinner gasket that allows your eyes to get closer to the lenses.

Exact opposite what ppl like me with mr. Magoo glasses need.

They need to add a variable sliding adjustable depth to that space as vive pro allows.

Would have kept mine if it did that

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2021, 09:12:57 AM »
With this mod, Sebastian Ang says he increased the G2's FOV and improved edge to edge clarity.  Short version - he replaced the G2's face gasket with one designed for the Samsung Odyssey.  No permanent alterations are used; you can easily revert back the original. 

Have you tried this?

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2021, 10:21:10 AM »
No, I haven’t tried it.  I don’t own a Reverb G2.  I have owned two Reverb G1s, both of which died.  Since the last Reverb broke, I bought a Quest 2 and Oculus Link cable.   I still follow Reverb In media though, and thought someone might find this useful...

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2021, 01:29:45 PM »
i ordered the gasket, it's shipping now from thailand. Will let you know the results.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2021, 05:05:21 PM »
Wondering if you just tighten the strap down if it will have the same effect

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2021, 07:35:51 PM »
VR Cover has a facial interface/foam replacement with thick and thin foam so you can try to get the fit/distance you want.
When my warranty replacement G2 gets delivered, I may get this. I got it for the Rift CV1 and it was a nice upgrade.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2021, 02:35:23 PM »
I got my replacement G2 and I have the VR Cover Interface/foam/pleather.

I have been using both my Rift S and my son's Quest 2 while waiting.
I was using the Rift S for a few days because I got tired of the Quest 2's battery dying on me.
When I went back to the Quest 2, the Quest 2's image quality looked amazing in contrast to the Rift S.

Now I have my new G2 and it makes the Quest 2's image quality look bad.
The clarity at the center of the field of view is unbeatable.

I am using the VR cover interface with the thick foam right now, and it is very comfortable.
I will try the thin pad later to see how it changes the perceived field of view.

The Reverb G2 is still my favorite by far for flight sim after taking into account the pros and cons of all three headsets.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2021, 08:12:12 PM »
I got my replacement G2 and I have the VR Cover Interface/foam/pleather.

I have been using both my Rift S and my son's Quest 2 while waiting.
I was using the Rift S for a few days because I got tired of the Quest 2's battery dying on me.
When I went back to the Quest 2, the Quest 2's image quality looked amazing in contrast to the Rift S.

Now I have my new G2 and it makes the Quest 2's image quality look bad.
The clarity at the center of the field of view is unbeatable.

I am using the VR cover interface with the thick foam right now, and it is very comfortable.
I will try the thin pad later to see how it changes the perceived field of view.

The Reverb G2 is still my favorite by far for flight sim after taking into account the pros and cons of all three headsets.

Hmm. This makes me thing I need to upgrade my Rift S to a G2 but there seems to be a high failure rate on these?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2021, 04:12:54 AM »
Hmm. This makes me thing I need to upgrade my Rift S to a G2 but there seems to be a high failure rate on these?
Honestly, my advice would be STAY with Rift. Rifts ..what am I looking for...interface?, with AH, is way smoother than Steam or Windows Mixed Reality. Unless you have an issue with needing Facebook for Rift Accounts? As I understand it, the RIFTS is almost as clear, but the "sweet spot" is wider than G2. Just my $.02
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2021, 05:13:01 PM »
Honestly, my advice would be STAY with Rift. Rifts ..what am I looking for...interface?, with AH, is way smoother than Steam or Windows Mixed Reality. Unless you have an issue with needing Facebook for Rift Accounts? As I understand it, the RIFTS is almost as clear, but the "sweet spot" is wider than G2. Just my $.02

You clearly have not tried a G2. The difference between the G2 and Rift S is enormous. The Quest 2 is roughly halfway in between. The base model Quest 2 is a steal, but you will quickly find yourself buying a better headstrap and while it is possible to link it to a PC via wireless, in theory the link cable is still superior, so that's another hidden cost.

I started with the Rift CV1. It was very immersive, but it was like playing at 640x480. So I only used it about half the time, preferably just for flying around because spotting/identification in air combat was very difficult.

The Rift S was a nice step forward. I could actually read some panel gauges without leaning forward or zooming in. Air combat was much better. I used it about 80% of the time.

The G2 image quality is so nice, that I now fly 100% VR. I can read all but the smallest of labels/indications in aircraft cockpits. The DCS F-14 has a crazy complicated cockpit with lots of small labels and simulated wear and tear. The G2 lets me see all of it nearly as well as a flat panel monitor. 4k flat panels still look better with both higher resolution, higher frame rates, and higher quality settings, but the margin of superiority has fallen dramatically compared to the Rift S.

Enter the Quest 2 with a link cable: Very could clarity and a big step up from the Rift S. I can fly VR 100% of the time with this headset, too. But when you contrast it with the G2, it is very apparent that the G2 is better by about the same margin the Rift S was better than the CV1, enough to make a very noticeable difference.

The WMR/SteamVR interface is the G2's main disadvantage. But WMR has some features I actually like and use that Oculus doesn't have. The G2 does have a much smaller sweet spot. The crystal clear image only occurs near the center of the field of view while the perimeter is of much lower, more blurry quality. But the G2 doesn't make you sell your soul to facebook just to play a game, so it has that going for it.

If I could only have one, the G2 is my preferred PC headset by far. My main complaint with the Quest 2 is battery life. I can play all day with the Rift S and G2, not so with the Quest 2. The Rift S is so obsolete that I only used it because my G2 was out for replacement and I kept having to stop flying because I was killing the Quest 2's battery. The CV1 is collecting dust. I would give it away to someone, but no one I know would use it and its quality is so far behind, I wouldn't want someone suffering with that low resolution when the Quest 2 is so affordable.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2021, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the detailed info. Can't you use the Quest 2 with a cable just like the Rift S so you're not dependent on the battery life?

Do you think the G2 worth twice what the Quest 2 is going for? Is it that much better?

Also I've seen multiple people having to replace their G2s. Do you think there is a reliability issue here?

Do you think the quality of the original would be good enough for kids games? If so I'd be interested as then they would stop bugging me  to use mine since I we only have one.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 08:47:32 PM by hazmatt »

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2021, 03:19:26 AM »
Thanks for the detailed info. Can't you use the Quest 2 with a cable just like the Rift S so you're not dependent on the battery life?

Do you think the G2 worth twice what the Quest 2 is going for? Is it that much better?

Also I've seen multiple people having to replace their G2s. Do you think there is a reliability issue here?

Do you think the quality of the original would be good enough for kids games? If so I'd be interested as then they would stop bugging me  to use mine since I we only have one.
YES! Thats what I understand.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2021, 03:27:18 AM »
You clearly have not tried a G2. The difference between the G2 and Rift S is enormous. The Quest 2 is roughly halfway in between. The base model Quest 2 is a steal, but you will quickly find yourself buying a better headstrap and while it is possible to link it to a PC via wireless, in theory the link cable is still superior, so that's another hidden cost.

I started with the Rift CV1. It was very immersive, but it was like playing at 640x480. So I only used it about half the time, preferably just for flying around because spotting/identification in air combat was very difficult.

The Rift S was a nice step forward. I could actually read some panel gauges without leaning forward or zooming in. Air combat was much better. I used it about 80% of the time.

The G2 image quality is so nice, that I now fly 100% VR. I can read all but the smallest of labels/indications in aircraft cockpits. The DCS F-14 has a crazy complicated cockpit with lots of small labels and simulated wear and tear. The G2 lets me see all of it nearly as well as a flat panel monitor. 4k flat panels still look better with both higher resolution, higher frame rates, and higher quality settings, but the margin of superiority has fallen dramatically compared to the Rift S.

Enter the Quest 2 with a link cable: Very could clarity and a big step up from the Rift S. I can fly VR 100% of the time with this headset, too. But when you contrast it with the G2, it is very apparent that the G2 is better by about the same margin the Rift S was better than the CV1, enough to make a very noticeable difference.

The WMR/SteamVR interface is the G2's main disadvantage. But WMR has some features I actually like and use that Oculus doesn't have. The G2 does have a much smaller sweet spot. The crystal clear image only occurs near the center of the field of view while the perimeter is of much lower, more blurry quality. But the G2 doesn't make you sell your soul to facebook just to play a game, so it has that going for it.

If I could only have one, the G2 is my preferred PC headset by far. My main complaint with the Quest 2 is battery life. I can play all day with the Rift S and G2, not so with the Quest 2. The Rift S is so obsolete that I only used it because my G2 was out for replacement and I kept having to stop flying because I was killing the Quest 2's battery. The CV1 is collecting dust. I would give it away to someone, but no one I know would use it and its quality is so far behind, I wouldn't want someone suffering with that low resolution when the Quest 2 is so affordable.
:aok  Totally understand! You confirmed the Sentiments of my response! That Demon, FB! VR is the BEST and HT's adaptations to it's effectiveness/game play set-up(ie. hat switch views to reduce Chair Yoga) BEST BY FAR! No matter what VR rig we may run! I only have a FB account, to keep up with friends via Messenger.....so I am not a "devote in Church of The Devil". This had better not be "THE MARK"..eh RiftS, still kicks arse :rofl

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2021, 03:28:46 PM »
Have you tried this?

I installed the frankengasket today, wow !!! Mind blowing f....g difference.
Finally i feel like i got an upgrade from CV1.
Sweet spot is MUCH bigger. Without it i only had a small circle of clarity, and anything that wasn't straight forward - was hazy at best. Now, most of the view is clear or relatively clear. I would have to look 60 deg to the side using only my eyeballs to find haziness.

If you have G2, absolutely do it, unless you're wearing glasses that is.