Author Topic: Next Generation  (Read 1712 times)

Offline DurrD

• Zinc Member
Next Generation
« on: August 24, 2020, 09:24:03 PM »
With all this talk about the younger generation not being interested in flight sims, specifically those with a steep learning curve; I thought I would throw a little good news in (and brag on my kids at the same time, lol)! 

I have 3 sons (14, 13, and 8), who have been flying an Aces High offline for awhile now, probably close to a year.  I decided to let my oldest sign up for the 2 week trial and try his hand in the big leagues, and he has done amazingly well.  In about 6 hours played over the past few days, he has more than a dozen kills, a base capture, and was an active help supporting several other base captures.  I'm pretty sure I didn't do that well in my first few days in the Main Arena back in 2001! 

He is solidly hooked, and his younger brothers are raring to go once his 2 weeks are up to get their free trials in.  I think my oldest is already trying to figure out how to swing that monthly bill to go active haha. 

The biggest problem is we only have one computer that runs AH3 well at the moment, so he is on that one.  I have been flying with him on my laptop, but it is barely capable of running the sim even with every single setting set to the very minimum (15-25 fps on average, and even slowing down from that when shooting or when near fleets or towns).  We are building a house right now, and I'm hoping we can set up a little computer lab with 4 modern computers at some point.  That's 3 new players eventually to join the AH world, so I figured that's a rare spot of good news for 2020! 

Maybe by this time next year will have my own little mini-squad winging with me.  Look out bish and rooks, they are already as loyal to the Knights as I have always been!
FBDurr -- A Freebird since 2013, been playing Aces High since 2001.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Next Generation
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 09:43:39 PM »
Sounds like your oldest son would appreciate some training, the TA is free.

Let me know if he's interested.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 10:00:46 PM »
I certainly preferred Picard over Kirk.  :D
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 10:52:52 PM »
DurrD,
 I feel for ya,Brother! My Niece(18)Lilblizz, started playing in May...and LOVED IT! I think it was because of the HUGE CURVE. She loves being challenged. She has picked up things so fast! That didnt happen to be your boy, in Monday Night Madness this evening was it? On your account? Might have been you...but cool if it was your son! Niece loves it, and they are helping create a MONSTER! My son just recently started playing as well..Tybird. So thats 1 more rig I get to pay for! Couldnt be happier about it, its awesome actually!
BW1stpar
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 11:13:10 PM »
I was 15 when I started, now 30. The addiction is strong! Its a much better addiction than drugs and alcohol. And I can drink and fly without worrying about a thing. This is a great game to learn about the strategy ofsituations as well as learning BFM and ACM. Patience is another thing this game can teach. My dad thought it would be great to teach me typing skills. It taught me how to deal with online bullies. Its great to learn to all of the planes and their styles. Definitely go into the match play and learn how to duel. It will greatly help in MA situations. There is a lot this game can teach which makes it different than other games. Like anything, its all about how much you put into it to learn. Id recommend getting them a decent flight stick with rudder peddles. Anyway, hope to see them tearing it up! Its great they really enjoy it.  :airplane: :joystick:  :aok

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 11:57:29 PM »
One aspect many seem to overlook about Aces High is it's strategic depth.  You can directly effect the down-times on things like Barracks, Radar, Fuel, Towns, Auto-guns and Ordnance Bunkers, by hitting their respective factories.  In the Town's case, it's the City Center you want to hit.  My only gripe about it is players are allowed to "resupply" factories, which is a killer.  It's one of the primary reasons I no longer fly.

Regardless, you'd be hard pressed to find an online flight sim with AH's strategic depth or better, that can allow so many players on at once. :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 03:28:53 AM »
I was 15 when I started, now 30. The addiction is strong! Its a much better addiction than drugs and alcohol. And I can drink and fly without worrying about a thing. This is a great game to learn about the strategy ofsituations as well as learning BFM and ACM. Patience is another thing this game can teach. My dad thought it would be great to teach me typing skills. It taught me how to deal with online bullies. Its great to learn to all of the planes and their styles. Definitely go into the match play and learn how to duel. It will greatly help in MA situations. There is a lot this game can teach which makes it different than other games. Like anything, its all about how much you put into it to learn. Id recommend getting them a decent flight stick with rudder peddles. Anyway, hope to see them tearing it up! Its great they really enjoy it.  :airplane: :joystick:  :aok
Young'n!!! I didnt realize how much younger you were! WOW! I appreciate you even more now! What is a couple 1000'nd in investing in our future?!!! New PC,T1600 Hotas and Throttle and Rudder Pedals... with RiftS to boot?!!!!  Best money I have ever spent :aok :devil Sir, you do realize..that when she wants to learn the 109's...I will direct her to hit you up!!!???
Love ya Brother
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 07:00:10 AM »

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 07:29:50 AM »

Picard was bald. Kirk had hair. Chicks dig Starfleet Commanders with hair  :old:

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 08:17:52 AM »

:D
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 08:55:56 AM »
With all this talk about the younger generation not being interested in flight sims, specifically those with a steep learning curve; I thought I would throw a little good news in (and brag on my kids at the same time, lol)! 

I have 3 sons (14, 13, and 8), who have been flying an Aces High offline for awhile now, probably close to a year.  I decided to let my oldest sign up for the 2 week trial and try his hand in the big leagues, and he has done amazingly well.  In about 6 hours played over the past few days, he has more than a dozen kills, a base capture, and was an active help supporting several other base captures.  I'm pretty sure I didn't do that well in my first few days in the Main Arena back in 2001! 

He is solidly hooked, and his younger brothers are raring to go once his 2 weeks are up to get their free trials in.  I think my oldest is already trying to figure out how to swing that monthly bill to go active haha. 

The biggest problem is we only have one computer that runs AH3 well at the moment, so he is on that one.  I have been flying with him on my laptop, but it is barely capable of running the sim even with every single setting set to the very minimum (15-25 fps on average, and even slowing down from that when shooting or when near fleets or towns).  We are building a house right now, and I'm hoping we can set up a little computer lab with 4 modern computers at some point.  That's 3 new players eventually to join the AH world, so I figured that's a rare spot of good news for 2020! 

Maybe by this time next year will have my own little mini-squad winging with me.  Look out bish and rooks, they are already as loyal to the Knights as I have always been!

You have bragging rights my friend. Well done. It does have a lot to do with parenting you know. Yes... well done indeed.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 12:18:23 PM »
Young'n!!! I didnt realize how much younger you were! WOW! I appreciate you even more now! What is a couple 1000'nd in investing in our future?!!! New PC,T1600 Hotas and Throttle and Rudder Pedals... with RiftS to boot?!!!!  Best money I have ever spent :aok :devil Sir, you do realize..that when she wants to learn the 109's...I will direct her to hit you up!!!???
Love ya Brother

I appreciate that! Technically still 29... i do feel about 10 years older than my age, though when I'm playing AH I'm about 10 years younger 😂.

Having a decent stick with rudder peddles truly helps a lot. Plus it feels more like you are actually flying.

I haven't tried VR yet. Still feel too comfortable with my hatswtich. Its tough being a noob all over again learning views and or new controls. Views are so important in AH.

I am actually specialized in a lot more planes than just the 109, so if yall want to practice some good maneuvers or want to ride in my plane in the MA, learn defense tactics,  Or learn the best style for a plane, just holler at me when you see me on.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 03:10:26 PM »
I am actually specialized in a lot more planes than just the 109, so if yall want to practice some good maneuvers or want to ride in my plane in the MA, learn defense tactics,  Or learn the best style for a plane, just holler at me when you see me on.

y'all, who might be wanting to learn a new plane should take Violator up on his offer!

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline 800nate800

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 05:01:46 PM »
let em fly with me :)
former squeaker, but you wont 1v1 about it
Most my friends are banned......
Kommando Nowotny

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 05:47:54 PM »
I appreciate that! Technically still 29... i do feel about 10 years older than my age, though when I'm playing AH I'm about 10 years younger 😂.

Having a decent stick with rudder peddles truly helps a lot. Plus it feels more like you are actually flying.

I haven't tried VR yet. Still feel too comfortable with my hatswtich. Its tough being a noob all over again learning views and or new controls. Views are so important in AH.

You can still.use hats witch views with vr (i do)