Author Topic: Bios update for vid card  (Read 570 times)

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
Bios update for vid card
« on: October 01, 2020, 09:49:34 AM »
was trying to install a gtx  970  and it worked for a few then quit . It works fine on another computer though .  Did some research and found that a few people had similar problems that where solved with a Bio update . It is a rare problem as most people i have talked to have not heard of such a thing. It has something to do with the system not being able to use the newer card ( yes i know its not that new but new to me as i run what i can afford )  It a bio star mother board as well ...which i know isnt all that .   
Have any of u all heard of this and does it make any sense to you ?  I have to pay a guy to update my bios and need to know if its worth messing with ???   any and all help is appreciated as usual .... Thank you
Soooo's I'm standing there i got my ......NM

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Bios update for vid card
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 10:18:53 AM »
If it's working on another computer then the problem isn't the firmware. If the firmware was horked the card would be bricked and wouldn't work at all. That btw is the risk you take messing with the firmware. People do it all the time tho. I'd done it on another card in the past, don't remember which, that had a dual bios switch. That way if I messed it up I could just switch to the other good bios.

Is there another slot you can try? Are the power connectors all seated? Do you have the right and updated drivers? If it works in another PC the problem is outside your card.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Bios update for vid card
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 10:54:02 AM »
Further, is the new case as well ventilated as the original one? And is the new location as cool as the original one? My GTX970 served me well but when I sold it to a friend he soon said it was causing his game to halt and even reboot the entire system with a BSOD. It wasn't about the case since my old case was part of the package. The two main differences were much more gaming hours and a much warmer place (+5 deg or so). The latter was the main cause and was easily fixed by changing the fan profile using MSI Afterburner.

Improved cooling may not be the ultimate solution for all, though. Another young man had similar symptoms with his Nvidia card. He tried the Afterburner trick as per my advice. The card worked fine for one evening, next morning it was bricked. Apparently it had already burned badly and the last cool night was its swan song.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:56:41 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni