Author Topic: the debate  (Read 4710 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: the debate
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »
Think for yourself. They are all fighting for your dollar and mind.  Plus, how can one source tell you the story?  one story, one point of view.
PBS and NPR are non-profits.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2020, 04:39:17 PM »
Think for yourself. They are all fighting for your dollar and mind.  Plus, how can one source tell you the story?  one story, one point of view.

PBS and NPR are non-profit. Any mention of sponsorship is for survival not profit.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2020, 04:44:31 PM »
This is simply not true. I am not sure how one can actually test the bias of something if one is also biased (so keep that in mind during this discussion). I will give you a link that contains a study which included random citizens to take a survey. To be included, they had to be familiar and regular watchers of various news outlets.

https://www.businessinsider.com/most-biased-news-outlets-in-america-cnn-fox-nytimes-2018-8#here-are-the-net-bias-scores-of-news-organizations-from-pbs-news-to-fox-news-18

The study may be bogus, but I have watched PBS News quite a bit recently and it is very objective. The news is delivered fairly, without bias, and without commentary from either political side. We all know that CNN, MSNBC, and Fox are the worst outlets for news as it is not actually news but propaganda deliveries. So, if those are your basis, that is pretty accurate so long as they reside on the far end of the bias spectrum.

i have watched pbs for 25 years. the current organization and staff is aimed at progression.  not simply unbiased news.  They struggle to give both points of view, in washington.  I can understand why.  The character of the staff is naive or simply pissed off.  I really miss Gwen. she was good.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2020, 04:46:52 PM »
PBS and NPR are non-profits.

interesting conclusion.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2020, 04:53:14 PM »
I don't know why people are beating around the bush here.

Proud Boys = Brown Shirts
"stand by" means plan for a Night of the Long Knives

DJT plans to end our republic if he loses the election.  He told it to our faces last night.  Its now impossible for anyone of moral character to vote for him.

LOL. You guys are insane.

So if someone comes and burns down your neighbors house, then loots and burns down your favorite restaurant. Then your city defunds the police and says the US Military and national guard are not allowed to stop the people burning down your neighborhood.  What are you suppose to do?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2020, 05:04:48 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPR

what part of that article has anything to to with the topic of " every news is fighting for your dollar and mind?"

How about you post a link to the past 10 episodes of npr.  then we can discuss what they did and did not say. and formulate a better assumption about how honest and unbiased their program is.  Even a list of their segments would begin to paint the picture.

Pbs has always programed from a higher education institutional point of view.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2020, 05:07:30 PM »

Meaning actual fact-driven information and not emotionally driven hyperbole?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2020, 05:08:02 PM »
what part of that article has anything to to with the topic of " every news is fighting for your dollar and mind?"

How about you post a link to the past 10 episodes of npr.  then we can discuss what they did and did not say. and formulate a better assumption about how honest and unbiased their program is.  Even a list of their segments would begin to paint the picture.

No, burden of proof fallacy.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2020, 05:09:59 PM »
I am from a time when the News was reported without spin.  Cronkite, Huntley- Brinkley and Edward R. Murrow.  The networks at that time weren't being paid to influence politics etc. They determined that the American people were intelligent enough to make up their minds without spin or propaganda.  If you think about the process we don't choose who runs for President.  The keyword is RUNS.  The final candidate is determined by how much money and now how much propaganda can be pedaled.  Reporting the news is different now especially cable news.  Their credo is "We'll say/spin anything you want for the money."  Doesn't have to be the truth at all.  The problem is now with social media being prevalent anything can be said without proof and can be slanted in any direction.  Common sense is not prevalent in today's society.  The search for truth is not used and is right in front of everyone's' face.  If someone states something positive for the side they like they believe it, it should be is this the truth? Cable News is useless.  Even major networks and predominant news journals can be bought.  Hey!  It's more dollars!  They've become entertainment now instead of fact.  With all the trials that went on, the impeachment etc.that the public was able to witness apparently it didn't help to inform.  It was ignored and shouted down.  Pres. Trump was charged with obstructing justice while the other candidate, after having her records subpoenaed were destroyed or deleted.  Why wasn't she charged with obstructing justice?  When you ask yourself why did she destroy and delete media such as hard drives and cell phones?  The only answer there was something that could incriminate her. Why wasn't she charged with obstructing justice?

We have no presidential candidates that WE picked. Who determines who is to represent their party?

They are selected by those with money and power that have something to gain by the candidate they back.  Since the candidate, whoever they may be, if elected is behooving to those who financed his campaign.  Wake UP!   Yes they have voting in states to select a candidate but against money and power that is useless.  This is what our elections have degenerated into.  Heck even Sanders was paid off to stay out.  The people have lost control of who gets to run.  Are you going to tell me that these two now running are the best to serve?  Biden 30 t0 35 years ago would be a viable option.  Not now.  We're the victims lack of common sense and the search for the truth, of social media, cable News Networks, even major networks and major daily news journals..  Don't be a victim.  It's all about money and power, not serving the people of the united states.  And this includes all political elections now unfortunately.  It's our fault.  What Thomas Jefferson said 200 years ago is true.  That's chiefly why we have the second amendment.

We leave these people in office for 20 to 30 years, some more so and they can't help to be corrupt.  Who wants to leave the gravy train?  Term limits would be an excellent start imho.  The Senate and House would have to vote on a measure to limit the amount of time they serve.  You think they would pass that?   :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

I miss the old days.  Well said Hajo  <S>

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2020, 05:13:32 PM »
No, burden of proof fallacy.

also interesting.

how does your phrase "burden of proof fallacy" apply?

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2020, 05:30:54 PM »
I don't know why people are beating around the bush here.

Proud Boys = Brown Shirts
"stand by" means plan for a Night of the Long Knives

DJT plans to end our republic if he loses the election.  He told it to our faces last night.  Its now impossible for anyone of moral character to vote for him.

I appreciate you posting your fantasies here but it would be better to be grounded in facts.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2020, 05:32:01 PM »
also interesting.

how does your phrase "burden of proof fallacy" apply?

"When two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim especially when it challenges a perceived status quo."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burden_of_proof_(philosophy)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2020, 05:32:06 PM »
Most of you dont understand what Trump is really fighting and why they hate him so much.

Do more deep research.

https://youtu.be/AXz3cidqUcI

Its sad that it's even a debate as to who to chose.

Watch this and you will understand why Trump is so mean to these people.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2020, 05:40:01 PM »
emotionally driven hyperbole?

you mean the soul that dives us all?  the biased individual soul that is driven by emotion?

not that there is any thing wrong with that.  the end is love, and the key to life.  unfortunately, it also leads to bias.

the beauty of npr, in the past was the emotion driven reporting. giving the unheard human perspective.  even in better days they were bias. bias for good.

It kept the donors happy. and me too. but i never sent a check. i just sat though the phone-in segments.