Author Topic: power supply  (Read 2867 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
power supply
« on: October 05, 2020, 04:38:02 AM »
havent kept up with the times.  anybody recomend a ps  in the range of 700 to 800. my current one is 750 but i hear statick on headset, that's a sign ps is going out.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: power supply
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
Seasonic seems still be a good manufacturer.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 09:27:07 AM »
havent kept up with the times.  anybody recomend a ps  in the range of 700 to 800. my current one is 750 but i hear statick on headset, that's a sign ps is going out.

semp

Good morning semp,
When exactly are you hearing the static on your headphones 🎧/ headset/computer speakers 🔊?

Are you hearing it from the time you press the PC power button and the computer starts up going through loading up everything up until the Windows login screen?

Or does it start after your computer has loaded Windows (or to put it another way, the static noise doesn't start until right before the Windows login screen appears? )

Yes, static noise coming through the speakers/ headphones  can be an early warning ⚠️ alert  that one's PSU is starting to go but from my past experiences it has been hearing static noise before the computer has loaded up the Windows OS, right up until the login screen appears....(not hearing static until after Windows has loaded/ started, led to being something other than the PSU starting to go bad or PSU had gone bad etc...)

Hope this helps

PSU recommendation:  SEASONIC FOCUS PLUS 850 PLATINUM

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 09:40:13 AM »
Seasonic is always a good choice. I have had good luck with EVGA 80+ Gold units. My new build will have my current 1000 watt EVGA in it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 06:30:23 PM »
i hear static from when windows and sound drivers load. not all the time. but last night it was constant even after reboot.

looking up the seasonic right now,  thanks guys.

semp

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 06:43:40 PM »
i hear static from when windows and sound drivers load. not all the time. but last night it was constant even after reboot.

looking up the seasonic right now,  thanks guys.

semp

Sounds like you may have a ground loop.
I'd look into that, before you spend a bunch of money on another PSU.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 07:22:19 PM »
Sounds like you may have a ground loop.
I'd look into that, before you spend a bunch of money on another PSU.

Coogan

kind of doubt that, this ps is a replacement of another ps that went bad.  TD sold it to me, it was an nzxt power supply.  he noticed I only live 30 miles from them.  got a new ps, tour of the warehouse and left with a few freebies.  it was awesome.

semp

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 09:38:09 PM »
I use Corsair power supplies ... My old system has a Corsair AX850 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply that I have been using for the last 8 years. For my new system I have a Corsair AX850 850W ATX12V 80 PLUS TITANIUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply.

If I'm not mistaken The AX850 Titanium uses Seasonic internals not sure about my old AX850 bronze but considering its taken more abuse than any of my other power supplies it's probably Seasonic too.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 10:34:02 PM »
I use Corsair power supplies ... My old system has a Corsair AX850 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply that I have been using for the last 8 years. For my new system I have a Corsair AX850 850W ATX12V 80 PLUS TITANIUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply.

If I'm not mistaken The AX850 Titanium uses Seasonic internals not sure about my old AX850 bronze but considering its taken more abuse than any of my other power supplies it's probably Seasonic too.

Never had an issue with Corsair.  :aok

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 12:14:42 AM »
ordered an evga 850 gold, reviews were pretty good on it. full modular which is what i had.  just logged in today, hear static every few seconds.

semp

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 06:36:14 AM »
Is it just through the headphones only or through all audio devices? If just the headphones id try another pair. If all devices, look at the audio cable from the computer to where everything plugs into.

To me, this sound like there is a problem between the audio out port and the speaker. Some cases the static comes from a dirty pot on the volume knob. Bumping or moving it causes static. Or maybe extreme case the port on the computer has an intermittent contact or bad solder joint. If it were happening to me, I would be focusing my effort into the audio out side of things. If you can find one cheap, look for a USB audio out device and try that temporarily with a speaker or a different set of headphones. If it goes away completely, then that will narrow the problem from the audio out port and your current set of headphones. Only times I have had the issue with a ground loop would be a constant hum in the background, not static.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 08:16:09 AM »
if you run sound out of an HDMI port from your video card do you still get the buzzing?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 04:29:40 PM »
only have USB headset. only sound drivers are for that headset. did try an old headset,  plug ed into mobo sound, static but not constant.

plugged usb headset, static not constant.

ps is at least 8 years old.

semp

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 09:20:30 PM »
It is possible that the MB power filtering caps are EOL, or failing.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 12:03:36 AM »
yup, could be everything is failing.  ps is 12 years old, mobo,cpu,ram 9 years old.

semp