Author Topic: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi  (Read 13703 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Re: The Tesla Semi will replace The Diesel Semi
« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2021, 11:45:48 AM »
This is a long presentation by Sandy Monroe. If you follow his YouTube channel you will find a lot of information on EV’s and why Legacy Carmakers are doomed. The E-Semi will replace the Diesel over time as the battery technology develops IMHO.  Chinese manufacturing of EV’s is another reason Legacy carmakers fear the EV. Legacy carmakers waited to long to get into the manufacturing of batteries. If Europe, Japan, and the USA try to block the sale of Chinese EV’s they will see their manufacturing plants become nationalized and lose out on the largest car market, China. It is a Catch 22. The video list the debt held by the largest carmakers. That is an eye opener.

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2021, 02:36:16 PM »
Edit, derp
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2021, 02:49:53 PM »
This is a long presentation by Sandy Monroe. If you follow his YouTube channel you will find a lot of information on EV’s and why Legacy Carmakers are doomed. The E-Semi will replace the Diesel over time as the battery technology develops IMHO.

TBH this is like the global warming/cooling thing.  The 70s were predicting we'd be fried by the 90s and so on. Same goes with batteries, we're promised new better batteries every year.

I still think EVs are a bit of a white elephant right now. The cost is still high, the environmental impact is still massive, performance (especially range) is still wanting. And the gorilla in the corner is energy production (except for those willing to accept nuclear).

If I were a gambler I'd probably through my lot in with hydrogen. And I know there are more than a few EV companies hedging their bets with hydrogen.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2021, 10:52:49 AM »
TBH this is like the global warming/cooling thing.  The 70s were predicting we'd be fried by the 90s and so on. Same goes with batteries, we're promised new better batteries every year.

I still think EVs are a bit of a white elephant right now. The cost is still high, the environmental impact is still massive, performance (especially range) is still wanting. And the gorilla in the corner is energy production (except for those willing to accept nuclear).

If I were a gambler I'd probably through my lot in with hydrogen. And I know there are more than a few EV companies hedging their bets with hydrogen.

Actually in the 70s we were concerned about cooling.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: December 03, 2021, 11:43:23 AM »

Hi Vulcan

I assumed when you listed CNBC and Michael Burry as your source of information that you were Shorting Tesla stock. It appears CNBC was wrong about Michael Burry shorting
Tesla.  Short sellers have lost between 60-70 billion dollars shorting Tesla stock, depending on which source you read.

https://www.davemanuel.com/2021/06/02/michael-burry-tesla-short/

CNBC is owned by Comcast. Comcast receives billions in advertising every year from Legacy car makers in ad revenue. Tesla does not
spend one penny on advertising. Their sales are generated by word of mouth. Is this bias on the part of Comcast? Maybe.....maybe not. It could be a coincidence, but
they publish one article after another with negative comments on Tesla. 

Before you short or buy stock in a company that produces fuel cell vehicles it might be a good idea to purchase one and find out how convenient it is to operate. Where will buy the hydrogen to operate it? How often do the fuel cell membranes have to be replaced? What is the efficiency of a fuel cell vehicle compared to a BEV? Is the vehicle reliable and simple
to operate? Will the oil companies be the providers for hydrogen at the recharging stations? How does a hydrogen tank retain its integrity in an automobile collision?

If fuel cell vehicles are a success it will be a good competition for BEV's. Both types of vehicles will progress faster with the competition. 

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2021, 02:29:03 PM »
No one who watched and understood "Who Killed The Electric Car?", which I linked in this thread a page ago, would seriously state that they think hydrogen cars are the future instead of electric.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: December 07, 2021, 04:17:18 PM »
$200,000 USD for approx 600 miles of range (with the 4680 cell) ........
1/2 hour to charge approx 80 per cent with the mega charger.
The chargers slow down when you get to about 85-90 per cent to protect the batteries. Production starts 2022.

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Haskell

• Zinc Member
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »
It's not the federal government's responsibility to spend tax dollars on charging stations...

If it was lucrative,  private sector would be jumping at it but instead the gov has to subsidize it with tax dollars while trying to make the status quo ridiculously expensive in comparison to what it should be

And sadly it is more about politics and control than the nonsense that we can control the weather and thus the climate

Eagler

there is a much potential incentive, gas stations use gas to generate traffic so you buy their more profitable items (junk food etc.), charging stations generate more traffic for longer, so you could potentially see resteraunts/gyms/activities that take 30min have incentive to contribute to charging infrastructure.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2022, 10:37:35 AM »
there is a much potential incentive, gas stations use gas to generate traffic so you buy their more profitable items (junk food etc.), charging stations generate more traffic for longer, so you could potentially see resteraunts/gyms/activities that take 30min have incentive to contribute to charging infrastructure.

That would require a lot of charging stations.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2022, 10:56:28 AM »
Father in law drove long haul when he retired from the seabees back in the late 70's early 80's

He stated with driving restrictions they put on the drivers today, it is hard to earn a decent living today

That's the driving motivation behind these trucks, to get them to self drive or stick an immigrant in them that is happy with 50k while living on the road...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2022, 04:42:55 PM »
Father in law drove long haul when he retired from the seabees back in the late 70's early 80's

He stated with driving restrictions they put on the drivers today, it is hard to earn a decent living today

That's the driving motivation behind these trucks, to get them to self drive or stick an immigrant in them that is happy with 50k while living on the road...

Eagler

I wondered why the only one I ever saw... the buttons were all in spanish.
80th FS "Headhunters"